Memory Question

joka

i have ddr266 memory on board now, and i think the motherboard manual suggested using this type. now the shops in zeer hardly carry this, most have ddr333. can i use the two together, or can i even use this type (ddr333) at all?

thanks

i have ddr266 memory on board now, and i think the motherboard manual suggested using this type.  now the shops in zeer hardly carry this, most have ddr333. can i use the two together, or can i even use this type (ddr333) at all?

thanks

333 should work in a 266 motherboard - all that will happen is that the memory will respond earlier in each clock cycle. (i.e. effectively the result from the call to memory will be waiting longer to be picked up)

Whether you should mix 266 and 333 ram on the same motherboard is a different matter.

You can give it a try, and leave it running something intensive overnight to see if it crashes (i.e. soak test - for memory, Seti@Home should do). If you have no problems, then your motherboard is handling the mix. Otherwise, you would need to replace your existing 266 RAM at the same time.

(If it does fall over - remember to run with just the new DIMMs in place. - to confirm it's not a problem with one of the 333 DIMMs).

Edited by bkk_mike

i have ddr266 memory on board now, and i think the motherboard manual suggested using this type.  now the shops in zeer hardly carry this, most have ddr333. can i use the two together, or can i even use this type (ddr333) at all?

thanks

Check out www.crucial.com this memory manufacturer has a lot of info on upgrading memory and if you can identify your computer/board it will go in and then tell you what you can use to upgrade.