Some Advice On Visa Options Please

My mother in law, no jokes please, a filipino national, is coming to visit us in Ratchaburi, where I, a Brit, and my wife, a Filipina, both work as teachers. The m=in=law is also a teacher and is interested in the possibility of working here with a view to increasing the profits of Western Union. She hasn't got any offers rather is coming over on a visit and will see how she gets on. If she comes in on visa waiver and gets 30 days can she apply within Thailand for a Non-immigrant B in the event that she gets a job? Or does she have to leave to do this. Your expert advice and any suggestions would be very welcome. Happy New Year to Yall. GerryB

In theory she can change (convert) a 30 day Visa Exempt entry into a Non-Immigrant Visa at immigration. In practice, 30 days is too short a time to find a teaching job and collect all the required documents for immigration. Best to plan on a trip to a local, friendly Thai Embassy or Consulate for the Non-Immigrant "B" Visa.

In theory she can change (convert) a 30 day Visa Exempt entry into a Non-Immigrant Visa at immigration. In practice, 30 days is too short a time to find a teaching job and collect all the required documents for immigration. Best to plan on a trip to a local, friendly Thai Embassy or Consulate for the Non-Immigrant "B" Visa.

A 60-day Tourist Visa (extensible to 90 days in Thailand) obtained in advance would give your mother-in-law more time to find a potential employer and file for a change of status. Note that anecdotal evidence elsewhere in this forum suggests that the Thai Embassy in Manila may be local but is definitely not friendly. They known for being rather arbitrary in turning down applications for Tourist and Non-Immigrant Visas. Most of the reports have been from non-Philippine citizens - I'm not sure if they are more accommodating with Filipinos.

She can only convert a visa exempt entry or tourist visa when she has at least 21 days left on her permission to stay. best is to get a free tourist visa and start looking for a job. When she has found a job she can then try to convert or get a B visa from a neighbouring country.

Your mother in law can get a non-o to visit family if your wife is working and on an extension of stay.

A copy of your wifes birth certificate and her passport photo and visa pages should be enough. A check with the conuslate would confirm what is needed.

As always very helpful advice. I don't think there is an issue for her applying to Manila Embassy for either Tourist 2 month or Non-Imm as my wife did this a few years ago and got a Non Imm B without the slightest difficulty. Many thanks