Tourism Sector Begs End To Emergency Decree

george

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I am in Swampy today.

I don't detect a change in Foreign arrival.

Yes, I felt the same, walking around Chiang Mai for the past few days. Quite a few tourists for this time of year. Aside from the regular Expat crowd (which seems to have thinned out a little, after the stock market crash and poor exchange rates), there are a lot of younger travellers in Chiang Mai (around 20-35 year olds).

I have a feeling, that the decrease in tourism is mainly coming from members of tour groups. Probably also many people, who only have a couple of weeks holidays, would reconsider coming to Thailand, because, who wants to spend part of his short holiday stuck in some airport, or somewhere on a barricaded highway?

Then there is the Global Economic Crisis...considering that, I think that Thailand is doing fairly well and weathering the economic storm well so far.

I think, we all agree, that political stability is important right now, for the economy to have a chance to recover more quickly. Supporting the present (legal coalitian) government, until the next general election, would give us all time to think about, who we want to have in power next.

Ongoing political unrest will solve nothing and will only build up resentments, against the instigators, from the general public, who just want to go on with their normal lives.

Red shirt Thaksin supporters, tried to overthrow the government and failed. I think their best strategy right now, is to concentrate their energy and resources on the next election.

All sides will put their own spin on things, which is their right, but violent actions, or ongoing disruptive protests, will solve nothing.

Again, this would be a good time, for all parties concerned, to build up their election network and prepare for the next General Elections. That's how democracy seems to work the smoothest. (and I am not saying that democracy is the best system, but if they want to have democracy, they might as well do it as smoothly as possible ;-)

I think that ending the Emergency Decree was a good move. It doesn't stop the government from having a heavy military and police presence, to protect it's Citizens, Government, Infrastructure and Institutions, but it gives them a chance to present a better (and safer) picture to the World, which in turn, will bring back some of the tour groups and travellers.

These protests don't just affect tourism. I'm sure, that many companies, such as my own, were getting a little worried about possible disruption to the container shipping, too. I did most of my purchasing in Indonesia this year and very little in Thailand. Not only because the political unrest, but wondering, if I was going to get my shipments in time from Thailand, was definitely part of the equation. Like many small and medium sized businesses, I can't afford, to have my container sitting in Thailand, because of political unrest.

Both Tourism and Exports are negatively affected by these protests and violence. I am hoping that this will be the end of it. Thailand can't afford too many more screwups, in these difficult, word wide economic conditions.

Then there is the Global Economic Crisis...considering that, I think that Thailand is doing fairly well and weathering the economic storm well so far.

really? have you seen the GDP figures - and despite what government say it can not just be put down to the reds

Ongoing political unrest will solve nothing and will only build up resentments, against the instigators, from the general public, who just want to go on with their normal lives.

and the status quo (whoever's nose is at the trough) should remain no matter how much it stifles the country (to disagree with clinton - its not just the economy..... :o)?

Again, this would be a good time, for all parties concerned, to build up their election network and prepare for the next General Elections. That's how democracy seems to work the smoothest. (and I am not saying that democracy is the best system, but if they want to have democracy, they might as well do it as smoothly as possible ;-)

pursuing a democratic process is laudabale but first you have to have a democratic system