Where To Buy Coke Or Pepsi

tezzainoz

Have a friend who will be in Thailand in 2 weeks and he suffers from a weight problem

(gee as if this something new)

The point of my question is he has to drink Diet and prefeerably caffine free Coke or Pepsi

In his home country this is easy to get at any supermarket

But on my last trip I could not see any anywhere

Can any one tell me where to buy this in Bangkok

as near to Sukimvit rd as possible

Thanks in advance

Have a friend who will be in Thailand in 2 weeks and he suffers from a weight problem

The point of my question is he has to drink Diet and prefeerably caffine free Coke or Pepsi

Thanks in advance

You should find more this next trip since it has become quite popular here. You can order it delivered to you directly, too. Either call the main coke number, or stop a delivery truck and tell them what you want.... they deliver a few cases to my home each month. 'Coke Light' or 'Pepsi Max' is what they're called here.

Thanks in advance

Coke light & pepsi Max are available all over Thailand in the big stores.Makro stopped doing Coke Light for a while but have started again. Our local coke depot and bottling plant say theres no such thing as Coke Light (T.I.T.) as did Makro during their brief layoff. :o

:-)

Some things to note:

Coke Light only comes in cans; they don't sell liter bottles. Also Coke Light has a VERY limited shelf-life: DO check that expiry date (especially when ordering in bars/restaurants and small minimarts) becuase when it's even a little over the expiry date it will be VERY yuckie.

Pepsi Max (No Diet Pepsi anymore) doesn't suffer from this, AND bottles are available in liter bottles at big supermarkets and hypermarkets. (Though 7-eleven and minimarts only have cans).

Bottles are far cheaper, of course.

Diet Coke or Pepsi is relatively easy to find, especially around Sukhumvit. I try to only drink that as well. Your looking for caffeine free though? Must admit, have never seen that in Thailand anywhere.

If your friends problem is one of weight only, then the caffeine part should not be vital as long as its diet and sugar-free correct?

Why does your friend have to drink Diet or caffeine free anything? if hes overweight, why wouldnt he drink water? I can never understand these people.

When they order 4 chickens and a diet coke, they think they are loosing weight. :o

Edited by Tornado

Thanks in advance

What about 'lite' beer?

You should find more this next trip since it has become quite popular here. You can order it delivered to you directly, too. Either call the main coke number, or stop a delivery truck and tell them what you want.... they deliver a few cases to my home each month. 'Coke Light' or 'Pepsi Max' is what they're called here.

Why does your friend have to drink Diet or caffeine free anything? if hes overweight, why wouldnt he drink water? I can never understand these people.

When they order 4 chickens and a diet coke, they think they are loosing weight.  :o

They actually do at the very moment they settle the bill :D

Personally, I like an occasional diet coke or pepsi max just for the taste 'coz the stuff is not so darn sweet like the regulars but guess it will never be a big market here in Thailand. The sugarfree varieties are just niche biz and sales appear to target at the foreign consumers only. Therefore usually not on the shelf in places that are not occasionally consulted by at least some long nosed crowd. Some 7/11 located in Thai-Thai areas usually do not offer them.

So, diet is a niche market already but taking out the caffeine in addition is surely niche-niche-niche. More likely MSG is removed from the shelves before diet caffeine free cola shows up in Thailand. Wonder whether there is even decaf coffee on offer here.

Anyway, if someone promises to buy the whole lot I may consider bringing a container in. Just the question how bad is the urge by some people for the muck? :D

Ever tried cold soda (singh or chang) with a twist of lemon juice in it? Nice alternative to plain water, pretty refreshing as well and the burp is powerful enough to scare roaches off :D

Edited by Richard Hall

If your friend is serious about losing weight, recommend water.

I am not sure the "diet" drinks are any better for you than the normal drinks, infact they may even be worse, I read an article a while ago suggesting the artificial sweetener they use can cause bone problems if drunk in sufficient amounts.

I bought some diet Dr. Pepper at Rim Ping in Chiangmai when I was there last October, but it was about 100 baht per can. I bought one. Never seen it in Bangkok, though.

I agree that some soda and lime on ice is a fine sugar and caffeine free beverage that is quite refreshing and more tasty than just plain water.

Thanks in advance

What about the availability of 'lite' beer? Has anyone seen it on the shelves?

Answer to your question

Yes he drinks a min of 2 litres water a day

When I say he's overwight not obiest just in trainnning and need to loose a few kilos

The reason for the caffine free is that caffine is a no no if you have ever had a kidney stone, same a chocolate and coffee

Myself I like to drink my spirits with coke but never with water

Answer to your question

Yes he drinks a min of 2 litres water a day

When I say he's overwight not obiest just in trainnning and need to loose a few kilos

The reason for the caffine free is that caffine is a no no if you have ever had a kidney stone, same a chocolate and coffee

Myself I like to drink my spirits with coke but never with water

Ok fair enough, I thought he was pushing his stomach around in a wheel barrow the way I read it. :D

Water is still the best, especially that Thai tap water - it must have a special ingredient in it. :D that makes you lose weight :o

You guys covered it very well. Yes, I've only seen Dr. Pepper in ChiangMai at Rim Ping, and it's outrageously overpriced, even considering their clientele (rich farang). Likewise with Nacho Doritos corn chips, about quadruple the Yankee price.

I drink 9 cans of Pepsi Max per day, or more than two liters per day on weekends. No kidney problems, no water problems, ank I hve know proclems at alllll, expexially wen I typee :o:D:D:D

:-)

Some things to note:

Coke Light only comes in cans; they don't sell liter bottles.  Also Coke Light has a VERY limited shelf-life:  DO check that expiry date (especially when ordering in bars/restaurants and small minimarts) becuase when it's even a little over the expiry date it will be VERY yuckie.

Pepsi Max  (No Diet Pepsi anymore) doesn't suffer from this, AND bottles are available in liter bottles at big supermarkets and hypermarkets.  (Though 7-eleven and minimarts only have cans).

Bottles are far cheaper, of course.

Unless Pepsi Max changed the sweetner in the last year, they also have a short expiration date like Coke Light, which, last I read a couple of years ago, is 14 weeks under 'normal' storage conditions. Something about the life of the sweetner itself. Of course, staorage in Thailand likely isn't alwaysup to snuff, and I've returned numerous cases of pepsi max for being past date, or having gone bad long before its stamped date. It got so bad last spring that I switched to Coke Light. Only returned one case of Coke, maybe because, according to coke, they have a much higher turnover in CM than Pepsi Max. And the price for the last couple of years hasn't changed for a case of cans of either pepsi or coke- 266 baht

Pepsi Max I bought today (from Tesco) - has a best before date of 13th May. - But I only buy enough in any trip to stock the fridge.

(and I switched to diet, not to lose weight, but because the sugared version was costing me an absolute fortune in dentist bills.)