Cannon Mp160 Problems

n23

Cannon M160 problems I hate these printer P160, it turned out that if you use refilled cartridges ink the printer stop functioning after a few refills, I bought brand new cartridges and the problem was solved, a few weeks ago I started having the same problem, it wasn't printing, so I replaced the cartridges, still nothing, I bought a new USB lead and still nothing, I'm having problems troubleshoot because everything is Thai, whenever I try to print something I get this message .

Any ideas?

post-75623-1239967836_thumb.jpg

Maybe you got a copy (Cannon), the original is Canon :o

Seriously, I had the same problem and I solved it with the english menu (change from regional settings in control panel in Windows XP)

Edited by angiud

How do you do this: "Have you checked your language and country settings?

Switch them to English".

Have tried this on my computer and still having trouble so don't know if I am doing it in the correct area.

Well, don't know it works for Vista but here's the answer for XP

Open Control Panel ---->Regional and Language options

post-327-1239975226_thumb.jpg

Switch them to English".

Have tried this on my computer and still having trouble so don't know if I am doing it in the correct area.

Very helpful, thank you BUT now I've run into an error message that is asking for the XP CD (The message says this "Please insert the Compact Disc labeled 'Windows XP Professional CD-ROM' into your CD-ROM drive {E:}") so to be able to change the "Regional and Language Options" but see when we got the computer we had IT CITY download XP on there (hence I think where the problem originated), they have the CD they used to download onto our computer and since we don't have the CD and Thai computer guys put it on that would explain the problem.....so if we got an XP CD (bootleg of course) we could reinstall and put in our language preferences.

Do you all think that would solve the problem?

Switch them to English".

Very helpful, thank you BUT now I've run into an error message that is asking for the XP CD (The message says this "Please insert the Compact Disc labeled 'Windows XP Professional CD-ROM' into your CD-ROM drive {E:}") so to be able to change the "Regional and Language Options" but see when we got the computer we had IT CITY download XP on there (hence I think where the problem originated), they have the CD they used to download onto our computer and since we don't have the CD and Thai computer guys put it on that would explain the problem.....so if we got an XP CD (bootleg of course) we could reinstall and put in our language preferences.

you mention something which we are not supposed to discuss about in this forum...

The best advise I can give you is take your PC and go to your dealer and have it "fixed" for you.

Switch them to English".

you mention something which we are not supposed to discuss about in this forum...

The best advise I can give you is take your PC and go to your dealer and have it "fixed" for you.

Oops sorry folks, I didn't mean to do that, thanks for the advice :o

ive got the mp140 but if its the same driver you can change the language as follows.

control panel - printer and faxes- right click printer -properties- then page that pops up may be in Thai.

click the 7th and last TAB (maintenance)- you will see a page with 10 pictures and writing next to them- underneath them there are 2 fairly wide buttons- click the right one (about) and a pop up box will appear.Near the bottom of this pop up is a drop down language menu- change to english- click ok which is the far left button below the said menu-ok again and the printer should now be in English.

Edited by parryhandy

The Thai error message says the printer is off-line and to check that it's connected and switched on.

Yeah I did that and still nothing, I know the printer is working because I took it to place in the mall and they printed a test page. The troubleshooter says it might be a port issue so I'm going to try that.

The Thai error message says the printer is off-line and to check that it's connected and switched on.

Yeah I did that and still nothing, I know the printer is working because I took it to place in the mall and they printed a test page. The troubleshooter says it might be a port issue so I'm going to try that.

Take my advise and don't trust the M$ build in trouble shooter. Even if you use the Canon tshooter (if there's such one) I don't trust this is a port issue anymore. If it was in the first place.

A port has nothing to do with (maybe) wrong language settings.

Some Gurus on this board might have another opinion... so wait... :o

Edited by webfact

Take my advise and don't trust the M$ build in trouble shooter. Even if you use the Canon tshooter (if there's such one) I don't trust this is a port issue anymore. If it was in the first place.

The language setting has always been wrong, that wasn't really the issue because the printer still worked when it was set to Thai language, I wanted it changed to English so I could understand what the problem is. I've bought new ink cartridges, I've bought a new USB cable and it's still not printing my attemps to fix the problem have actually made it worse, now when I try and print I get the "Save As" window coming up trying to save the document as a MDI.

The language setting has always been wrong, that wasn't really the issue because the printer still worked when it was set to Thai language, I wanted it changed to English so I could understand what the problem is. I've bought new ink cartridges, I've bought a new USB cable and it's still not printing my attemps to fix the problem have actually made it worse, now when I try and print I get the "Save As" window coming up trying to save the document as a MDI.

when you open control panel -------->printers and faxes

has your canon printer been set as default printer?

Edited by webfact

Did you try my advice about changing the language ?

control panel - printer and faxes- right click printer -properties- then page that pops up may be in Thai.

click the 7th and last TAB (maintenance)- you will see a page with 10 pictures and writing next to them- underneath them there are 2 fairly wide buttons- click the right one (about) and a pop up box will appear.Near the bottom of this pop up is a drop down language menu- change to english- click ok which is the far left button below the said menu-ok again and the printer should now be in English.

Yeah and it worked but I still can't print, the only difference is my error messages are now in English. I managed to print a test page but I can't print any documents.

from which program you can't print a document. i.e. M$ Office?

If you can print a test page, the culprit is the program from within you want (nut can't) print your document

Edited by webfact

• 3 months later...

It seems that the Canon installation has gone bad now that your PC is speaking in English. There's no way (I think) that Word or any other problem can trigger the Canon pop up re- no connection. I mean you manage to print a test page without pop-ups and problems but when you try a Word doc you get the 'no connection' pop-up? Or do you get a blank page? Strange indeed.

I hope you have your Canon installation CD. If you do, delete the printer and uninstall ALL the Canon related programs, reboot and do a fresh printer installation.

Hi..

Have you tried this:

Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> right click the printer in question and see if "use printer offline" is checked, if so, un-check it. If not, check it, close, open again and un-check.

The Fuji-Xerox at my office also loves to do that every then and when, i.e. suddenly goes offline. The above steps help each time.

Kind regards......

Thanh

After struggling for half an hour to get my MP160 switched to English I found this topic on google. THANK YOU PARRYHANDY!!

NO problem glad to be of assistance. Took me 3 hours of changing drivers and general faffing about until I stumbled on it by total accident/desperation. :) They hid it well.

Edited by parryhandy

• 1 year later...

This solution does work for the Cannon MP160, though note that in the MP160 maintenance settings screen, there are 3 of the "fairly wide buttons at the bottom" -- it is still the right most button (which says "About" in Thai).

Notably, uninstalling and re-installing does NOT fix the problem. Apparently the language preference is saved in some part of the system registry and is not removed or even reset by the re-installation, even when selecting an English speaking country such as America.

Thanks very much to parryhandy!

Being you can print a test page, but can't print a document, You could check to make sure. lt is set as the default printer. Also when you go to print from an application, make sure it appears as the selected printer from an application such as Word.

Edited by BB1950