Searching For The Best Steak In Cm

CharlieBoy

I am on a quest to find the best steak in Chiang Mai. Any ideas? Thanks

The best already cooked and served steak or the best steak that you plan to cook yourself? I see some pretty nice cuts of meat at Rimping Supermarket. mmmmmm

Hands down it's Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills on Nimmanheiman, Soi 12. Price, quality, service, atmosphere....The Dukes can not compete!

Had a very tasty steak at The Dukes before, so it gets my recommendation. Never tried the Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills before, though. I might have to give it a shot Sansai Sam!

Hands down it's Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills on Nimmanheiman, Soi 12. Price, quality, service, atmosphere....The Dukes can not compete!

Is this the one you're talking about? Interesting, I'll have to try it.

http://www.kantarygroup.com/kantaryhills-c...ai/dinning.html

I'd also recommend The Duke's. I love that place.

http://wikimapia.org/7368512/The-Duke-s

Please report back if you do...I am curious as you everyones opinions. They offer either local or imported beef..get the imported (I recommend the filet mignon) and you can get a set with starter, entree, dessert and coffee or tea for 650 baht if you prefer. Monday and Friday they offer a great salad bar and Wednesday they have a carvery for 490 all you can eat! Cheers

Is this the one you're talking about? Interesting, I'll have to try it.

http://www.kantarygroup.com/kantaryhills-c...ai/dinning.html

I'd also recommend The Duke's. I love that place.

http://wikimapia.org/7368512/The-Duke-s

Kudos to the Kantary Group....

I looked at the link and it makes me feel very warm inside to see a Thai Group so kindly employing the disabled... All the waiters in the photo [3] have only one hand.

But....

there could be another explanation....... it could show that 2 out of three Thai waiters scratch their ass with their left hand....... on second thought , I don't know it I want to eat there now.

:o

I'm certain they will be crushed if you don't!

Sansai Sam

Are you able to and are you willing to tell us if you have an interest in the recommended restaurant other than as a customer ?

As a member of this forum, you know of course, you are duty bound to tell the truth. That is unless you are a lawyer who is not a doctor, then I don't know what would happen

Nimman Grill and The Duke's both serve excellent steaks. You should also check out Le Crystal's Steakhouse in JJ Market just behind Tesco Lotus. If you want something a lot cheaper (but not quite as tasty) then you could check out Franco Thai behind Icon Square on the moat. It's certainly not in the same league as Nimman Grill or The Duke's, but it's fantastic for the price.

I do solemnly swear on all that is holy and on the graves of both my father and mother that I have absolutley 100% no interest other than that of a customer with regards to Kantary Hills or any other restaurant in the Kingdon of Thailand so help me God!

Satisfied?

What I do have is a record of opening 18 successful restaurants in the US and Hong Kong...an associates degree in hotel & restaurant management....a culinary degree and a successful independant restaurant consultancy business for 28 years. I have served as Director of Food & Beverage in major hotels and served as general manager of 5 four star restaurants in the US. I have also been a food writer for a newspaper.

I do solemnly swear on all that is holy and on the graves of both my father and mother that I have absolutley 100% no interest other than that of a customer with regards to Kantary Hills or any other restaurant in the Kingdon of Thailand so help me God!

Satisfied?

What I do have is a record of opening 18 successful restaurants in the US and Hong Kong...an associates degree in hotel & restaurant management....a culinary degree and a successful independant restaurant consultancy business for 28 years. I have served as Director of Food & Beverage in major hotels and served as general manager of 5 four star restaurants in the US. I have also been a food writer for a newspaper.

Thank you Sansai Sam..I am very satisfied ..... Besides I know Mr. Spock would never lie.....

Your credentials are also very impressive , but I can top that.....

I have been eating for over 60 YEARS.

:D

a little PS

Its not difficult opening a successful restaurant, in the US or anywhere......

What is difficult is keeping them successful for a acceptable period of time.

i.e. its not difficult quiting smoking......... I did it 6 times yesterday..

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I like the Duke's steaks, but I prefer flame-broiled to grilled and grilled is the standard at the Duke's. Dave says that they are willing to do it either way, but I am always nervous that the cook will screw my 1,000 steak up and make me cry. :o

Those are pretty impressive credentials, Sam. I'll know who to ask in the future.

However, I guess I'm just a cheap charlie when it comes to food. Spending over $20 for a meal is out of my budget in Thailand... or anywhere for that matter. I can get just as much enjoyment out of a $3 Thai meal. I guess I'm just used to eating wild venison steak from the elk and deer I shoot. I look at those expensive beef steaks in the super market and come home with some pork chops at one quarter the price.

Not being one to knock too many eateries in Chiang Mai but the worst steak I have ever had in Thailand and the majority of the 40 or so countries that I have worked in, was at Dukes a few years ago.

David was mildly concerned that his staff served this piece of rubber disguised as meat to a customer. It was totally inedible. The steak was replaced after about 30 minutes with something a little better, in the meantime my daughter and ex had completed their meals. After they waited for me to eat my meal I was rewarded with a slice of white chocolate cake and a hefty bill from the management.

I haven't been back since.

It's true that becasue of my work history I am spoiled when it comes to food but I sure love a venison steak. As I mentioned the set at Kantary includes your imported filet (they serve two by the way) your soup, salad, dessert and tea or coffee for 650 baht which is under $20. Give it a try when you come back.

Happy Hunting!

I like the Duke's steaks, but I prefer flame-broiled to grilled and grilled is the standard at the Duke's. Dave says that they are willing to do it either way, but I am always nervous that the cook will screw my 1,000 steak up and make me cry. :D

Errr.... and what reason would you have for worrying the cook would do THAT to your steak General?

Is it a local cuisine technique?

I think I'll stick to eating in Chiang Rai. :o

sceadugenga...maybe you can help me....after about 100 trips to Chiang Rai over the past 10 years I have never had a good meal with the exception of resorts like the Legend and Anantara. Where does one get good meals at a reasonable price. Would also love to find a good breakfast there.

Thanks to Sansai Sam for recommending Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills on Nimmanheiman, Soi 12. The steaks were really good, extremely tender and juicy!! I could have cut mine with a fork, something I did not think I would find here. I had the rib eye and my wife had the fillets. Just a note for others, get the sause on the side and not on the steak itself. The steaks were so good, the sause would have ruined it!!

Hands down it's Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills on Nimmanheiman, Soi 12. Price, quality, service, atmosphere.

Here is yet another vote for Nimman Grill at Kantary Hills Hotel. Outstanding filet mignon -- imported, aged, beef -- done exactly as ordered.

And I agree with previous advice to order sauce on the side: The sauce is fine, but better if you control how much of it you want on your steak.

- Oneman

In the past I have reccommended the steak in the upstair restaurant in Le Meridien, there on Chang Klan/Loi Kroh corner. Quite expensive but the imported steak was very good quality. If you are looking for somewhere special, then its quite nice.