Dvds From Uk

terdsak_12

Yes its down to region encoding.

UK the region is 2

Asia the region is 3 (i think)

So you wont be able to play region 2 movies on a region 3 player... if you google for "[make/model] region hack" you will probably find a code you can enter via your remote control to change the region of your player... alternatively you can buy a DVD player without the region encoding in it, but youd have to hunt around and find one.

Hope that helps

Although there is some truth in the last post, almost all (I even believe all) DVD players in Thailand are sold as region-free.

That should mean that you can play any DVD. If you bought your DVD player in Thailand it's not down to region encoding.

But if yout take a Thai (region 3) DVD to England it's almost sure it won't play.

Sorry sniffdog, but your wrong on that point.

Altho it is considerably easier to find region free Players in Thailand saying that all players are region free isnt true. If that were the case the OP wouldnt have posted this thread :o

Also my player isnt region free either, neither is my friends, maybe your getting confused as all those DVD's that come "without boxes" are in fact region free disc's

try the google search first - if its a main stream player theres a strong chance theres a region hack for it. All it will be is a code you have to enter via your remote control... cheaper than buying a new player!

And to answer your question, sorry i dont know of any brands that play all regions

Cheers fellas, anyone can recommend a player which will play all discs? I've got all the series of "Only Fools and Horses" and "Minder" to watch!!!!

Hi if your player is not multi regional its very easy to change it with the remote and a hack code takes about 2 minutes go to this web site and look for your make of machine for instructions its free http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

Also if the dvd's in the UK were copied then they will be dvd-r's some older machines wont play these no matter what region they are, hope that helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry sniffdog, but your wrong on that point.

Altho it is considerably easier to find region free Players in Thailand saying that all players are region free isnt true. If that were the case the OP wouldnt have posted this thread tongue.gif

Also my player isnt region free either, neither is my friends, maybe your getting confused as all those DVD's that come "without boxes" are in fact region free disc's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I said I BELIEVE so I was not wrong. When I bought my DVD player 2-3 years ago all DVD players were simply 'All Zones' or 'Region Free'. You simply couldn't buy a Region 3 DVD player.

Then, I would stick your tongue back where it came from, as he doesn't know it was what the reason was.

As DaveB correctly said, it can be a matter of incompatible DVD media.

And, believe, I know the difference between a DVD disc and a DVD player. :o

I know several people who bought DVD players over here which ended up only playing region3 :o

Invariable they were all the more expensive brands!!!

The El Cheapo aconatics, Lotte's etc. seem to play pretty much everything though :D

Stop talking regions. He said these are home-generated disks, so it's probably NOT a region issue.

It's more likely that the disks are DVD-RW or DVD+R or DVD+RW and his player isn't compatible. I've had the same issue with DVD+Rs I recorded myself in the UK, only work in my DVD-Writer in Thailand, and none of the other DVD-Rom drives or DVD players like them, except a Philips DVD player I have which specifically states it's compatible. (i.e. It might be time to buy a new player that says it's compatible with the disk format his sister is sending).

As far as Thailand and Region encoding is concerned. Although a lot of players are labelled region-free in the shops, it simply means that there is nothing in HARDWARE preventing them playing other regions, but you might still have to enter an unlock code.

IF you don't know the unlock code, search on the internet, or get someone who speaks Thai to phone up the manufacturer's Thai hotline.

There are too many Chinese in Thailand, wanting to play discs from Hong Kong (Region 3 also) AND the mainland (Region 6), for them not to say how to change the players to region-free.

Edited by bkk_mike

I tried a search for the code on my Samsung E218, no luck, also these discs don't work on my cheapo Aconatic player either.

It's probably not a region issue. The problem is that they are dvd-r copies. Firstly, you should try a better brand of disc - cheap media has more compatibility problems. Secondly, it could be the setting you use to copy the dvds i.e bitrate, compression - try another piece of dvd copy software and use the default settings.