3) A1

4) E! Entertainment Television

5) STC

6) Animax

7) TCM

8) MGM

9) Star World

10) TVB Xing He

Current Gold members will be upgraded to the new "Platinum Package".

New channels will be introduced in the first couple of weeks of February.

Edited by kabal1234

Not only are Gold users not getting upgraded they lose the educational channels. And to get the new channels in any service it seems Catv customers will be required to install digital lines/equipment at their own cost and then pay rent.

Not only are Gold users not getting upgraded they lose the educational channels.  And to  get the new channels in any service it seems Catv customers will be required to install digital lines/equipment at their own cost and then pay rent.

Lop, seems Golds get BBC Prime, Bloomberg and STC.

Edited by kabal1234

It looks like UBC are making it up as they go! The updated packages page HERE now indicates that the existing channels become Gold with BBC Prime included.  Who knows what's really going on???  :o

Click on the gold at the top of your link you get when you click the gold on the page you provide and see what happens. If your browser is like mine the extra channels vaporize. :D

It looks like UBC are making it up as they go! The updated packages page HERE now indicates that the existing channels become Gold with BBC Prime included.  Who knows what's really going on???  :o

Click on the gold at the top of your link you get when you click the gold on the page you provide and see what happens. If your browser is like mine the extra channels vaporize. :D

Yeah Lop - most of them do but NOT BBC-Prime. It was disappearing a week ago.... :D

Only available if you have a digital converter is my reading.  For those with satellite not a problem but for those in Bangkok with multi converters a large extra expense.

I concur.

That was my understnading reading the various info pieces.

Called UBC today and confirmed that if I wish to have the platinum package I first will have to convert to digital. I can not convert only one box but all in the house.

There is of course a cost associated with this. The deposit required by UBC for having the digital decoders in your house also increase and must be paid up front. About 2000 baht a box extra.

The finally there is the monthly subscription for the package. Here again I was informed that it applies to all boxes or non. The numbers I was quoted amounted to approximately an extra 700 baht per month

I was informed that there would be a reduced subsription rate for February.

This leads me to think that there wil be a fair number of teething troubles at least during Feb

I already have the DS setup, but the new channels do not warrant an extra 700B in my opinion. UBC is just too expensive now for what u get.

EDIT** I called UBC and they say the website is a mistake... only Bloomberg is added to Gold (wow).

Edited by kabal1234

I already have the DS setup, but the new channels do not warrant an extra 700B in my opinion. UBC is just too expensive now for what u get.

EDIT** I called UBC and they say the website is a mistake... only Bloomberg is added to Gold (wow).

Following UBC site in the gold package they remove the only french program TV5 to have it back you need to upgrade to platinium , I hope that is a mistake.

The way I read it from the magazine: NEW gold package same as old one + Bloomberg.

Price: 1412.97Bht. I pay currently for the gold 1568.12 . so if I stick with gold, I get more for less money?

That's deviant behavior from the Thai standard ! is that punishable? :o

why is cable subscription so expensive in thailand? in india it cost only 250bath for all the channels they provided here under platinum ; but its not advertisements free, like star movies and hbo aired advertisements every 15 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price: 1412.97Bht. I pay currently for the gold 1568.12 . so if I stick with gold, I get more for less money?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1412.97 Exclusive of decoder rental THB 155.xx

1412.97 Exclusive of decoder rental THB 155.xx

:o right, my mistake. did not read the small characters in Thai (only) 282.48Bht.

so that makes it 1695.18 THB total. against 1568.12 now. That's an 8 % increase in price for 1 additional channel + some 25 added radio channels. (that i never listen to)

UBC : we know how to scr*w you :D

why is cable subscription so expensive in thailand? in india it cost only 250bath for all the channels they provided here under platinum ; but its not advertisements free, like star movies and hbo aired advertisements every 15 minutes.

Could it be because they have a local customer base of perhaps 1 billion people?

Could it be because they have a local customer base of perhaps 1 billion people?

perhaps. but im asking why is it so expensive in thailand lol. could it be due to monopoly? in my city of 300K population we have about 10 cable operators. and we have 70+ channels including all these channels in thailand and shit load of indian channels.

Two reasons for the price:

1) Monopoly

2) The government not allowing pay tv companies to show advertisements. Hence channels like Hbo and star charge much more to UBC compared to what they charge to companies who do air their ads!

Two reasons for the price:

1) Monopoly

2) The government not allowing pay tv companies to show advertisements. Hence channels like Hbo and star charge much more to UBC compared to what they charge to companies who do air their ads!

2. Somebody wispered in my ear that the changed law was ready to go, but they were waiting to get a better deal percentage wise. :o

1. and that brings me back to here

The pics of CNN and BBC World are always not clear. Why???

Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that only BBC get cut on a regular basis. like loosing the signal. did not notice that on CNN.

I often find BBC would disappear suddenly. And BBC and CNN's pics are always blurred. Seems the signal is not strong enough. I cant find any other way to explain.

The pics of CNN and BBC World are always not clear. Why???

Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that only BBC get cut on a regular basis. like loosing the signal. did not notice that on CNN.

I often find BBC would disappear suddenly. And BBC and CNN's pics are always blurred. Seems the signal is not strong enough. I cant find any other way to explain.

I have this little timer on my computer. I watch them with a connection to my laptop. I gonna time the minutes lost and claim my money back per hour :o

At least this evening, I think everyone (on satellite anyway) can watch all the channels. At least I can at the moment, and I definitely haven't signed up for any new package yet...

Wonder if that will last until the weekend?

Based on what's on Star World at the moment, what series is UBC series going to buy in the future? (they seem to be virtually the same channels).

Edited by bkk_mike

At least this evening, I think everyone (on satellite anyway) can watch all the channels. At least I can at the moment, and I definitely haven't signed up for any new package yet...

Wonder if that will last until the weekend?

Based on what's on Star World at the moment, what series is UBC series going to buy in the future? (they seem to be virtually the same channels).

Got the same. Seems UBC series is all spoken thai now, as well as subtitles :D . Star World was previewing something called 'Outback Jack'. Apparently they drop off a bunch of gorgeous 'sheila's' resplendent in high heels and evening gowns - in the middle of the outback. This should be rich but I think I have to peel durian that night :D

Meanwhile, over on Adventure, featured a couple 'serious' mountain climbers, who unicycle down...hard... Ddoohhh!

Wait a sec, a LIGHT! Fawlty towers is on BBC prime now: Waldorf Salad!!! :o oops, and I have an 8 a.m. appt... :D

Edited by bahtandsold