Internet Dating Scams

Lickey

A 46 yo thai lady came to the salon yesterday to talk with Mrs about an english fella she had been chatting with for 10 days on a dating site, Her main thing was that some woman from Kuala Lumpa had called her 3 times and all she understood was money, [her spoken english is non-ex] and she wanted my mrs to translate for her,

So this woman rang again & Pan spoke with her, but it was all gibberish to her, she handed the phone to me and it seemed that this english fella had sent a parcel for thai lady, and there was a sum to pay for delivery, i asked how much? 1350 USD and it will be with you tomorrow 12 noon, i said ok, i will explain,

I converted this into BHT 48,550 at todays prices, told the lady and she was very upset, i asked to see his e-mails to her, she brought them tonight, It was very much past-tense stuff like he had already met her ect and couldnt live without her,to look for a house in the area they visited and he would look after the whole family,

The last mail stated that he had sent her a special package by courier, it included a laptop, batteries removed and 30,000 quid and 2 gold necklaces put in there place, some pics of mum & dad, and some perfume he bought in Leads? [Leeds] also stating, i have know brother,I have know sister, but he has a BSC & MSC, works offshore as a mining expert..

His mobile number is UK, but calls can easily be diverted now, his e-mail is also Uk, but so is 1 of mine at Yahoo,

Now this poor thai lady didnt understand why this woman kept calling her? she thought this mans wife or GF had found the number on PC and was harassing her to keep away!!

Im glad she didnt fall for this scam, a good thai woman is very jealous, and its paid off in her case..

I'm either getting old, tired or thick, or maybe all 3, because I don't understand who is scamming who or what the scam is.

Lady is sent email saying he will send a parcel containing a laptop, inside of which is £30k + gold. Lady then gets calls from somone in KL saying she has to pay circa 50k baht for the parcel, which has been sent to her (god knows why that would happen in the real world). So lady theoretically pays 50k baht for what will probably turn out to be a couple of housebricks.

I'm either getting old, tired or thick, or maybe all 3, because I don't understand who is scamming who or what the scam is.

Lady is sent email saying he will send a parcel containing a laptop, inside of which is £30k + gold. Lady then gets calls from somone in KL saying she has to pay circa 50k baht for the parcel, which has been sent to her (god knows why that would happen in the real world). So lady theoretically pays 50k baht for what will probably turn out to be a couple of housebricks.

Ah! I get it! :o

You know what confused me? This bit:

... batteries removed and 30,000 quid and 2 gold necklaces put in there place...

If Lickey could write proper English, I might have understood. :D

Wow those scammers are being way to greedy, $1350!!!! Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money to pickup a "special package"!!

And why the heck would you be paying the money to Kuala Lumpa.

They should have set it at maybe $50 or $100 or something, people might be more easily duped for that kind of money.

Actually, a friend of mine got targeted with it some weeks ago. Told her to ignore it since it would be a scam. The man in the 'UK' said it was a ring, and that he wanted to marry her..after talking for a few days.

Even though I know of sad sods that would propose after a few days, as soon as any package is sent with COD, it is ALWAYS a scam.

Most dating sites now post warnings about any messages coming from Nigeria or Ghana.  So it does nto surprise me that they are now using "safe" localities.

They have been preying on men for some time now, so I guess it is time to prey on women.  Some women who are past what is considered the eligible age in whatever country sees the hope of romantic happiness, and they will grasp at anything to get it.

I am not a vengeful person, but this bothers me so much that i wish some super computer expert could track down these scamemrs ISP's or whatever and send a nasty virus which would fry their computer and keep them from scamming again until they could get a new computer.

Surely fat divorced USA lumps of lard are more likely to fall for this scam ?

As it goes it is stupid but as posted above, if it was for perhaps $100/150 to receive a laptop which would stop the girl having to go to an internet shop then you can see how some might fall for it. Even better, get some Thai girl to say she had received a laptop !

'There's no such thing as a free lunch' springs to mind. :o

Scammers are adept at finding the weakness in any society. In the West its fake lottery wins, here - its apparently fake farangs promising money to thai women who believe that farangs are the golden goose.

In both cases the scam can only work if greed suspends disbelief.

See:

Wikipedia on Romance_scam

These scams come in all shapes and sizes.

For example, big breasted NIgerian lass convinces Farang ENglish teacher in Thailand to cough up cash for passport and plane ticket, then vaporizes.

Actually, does not exist at all, actually innovative lady boy with a couple of photos and some Chutzpah.

Or on online dating sites like DateInAsia , i got in an accident, i need to pay school tuition scams .

If it's too good to be true, it probably ain't.

Wow those scammers are being way to greedy, $1350!!!! Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money to pickup a "special package"!!

And why the heck would you be paying the money to Kuala Lumpa.

They should have set it at maybe $50 or $100 or something, people might be more easily duped for that kind of money.

To KL,cause nigeria moved there finding life in BKK to risky.BKKHilton is overflowing with them.

A 46 yo thai lady came to the salon yesterday to talk with Mrs about an english fella she had been chatting with for 10 days on a dating site, Her main thing was that some woman from Kuala Lumpa had called her 3 times and all she understood was money, [her spoken english is non-ex] and she wanted my mrs to translate for her,

So this woman rang again & Pan spoke with her, but it was all gibberish to her, she handed the phone to me and it seemed that this english fella had sent a parcel for thai lady, and there was a sum to pay for delivery, i asked how much? 1350 USD and it will be with you tomorrow 12 noon, i said ok, i will explain,

I converted this into BHT 48,550 at todays prices, told the lady and she was very upset, i asked to see his e-mails to her, she brought them tonight, It was very much past-tense stuff like he had already met her ect and couldnt live without her,to look for a house in the area they visited and he would look after the whole family,

The last mail stated that he had sent her a special package by courier, it included a laptop, batteries removed and 30,000 quid and 2 gold necklaces put in there place, some pics of mum & dad, and some perfume he bought in Leads? [Leeds] also stating, i have know brother,I have know sister, but he has a BSC & MSC, works offshore as a mining expert..

His mobile number is UK, but calls can easily be diverted now, his e-mail is also Uk, but so is 1 of mine at Yahoo,

Now this poor thai lady didnt understand why this woman kept calling her? she thought this mans wife or GF had found the number on PC and was harassing her to keep away!!

Im glad she didnt fall for this scam, a good thai woman is very jealous, and its paid off in her case..

Yep, yet another SCAM out there I will pass this one along to my wife's girlfriends, that have been looking for love online. :D:o