The Battle Of East And West: Pacquiao Vs Hatton!

The best vs the best, but Ricky is better, Manny is scared of his hard hits and uppercuts, im not predicting any round but Mannys face will look like a butchers shop window and Hatton will win on points!

The best vs the best, but Ricky is better, Manny is scared of his hard hits and uppercuts, im not predicting any round but Mannys face will look like a butchers shop window and Hatton will win on points!

Mods -maybe you can combine the threads as it seems these guys didn't see the one already started.

Lickey, you have to be kidding with your prediction. Manny scared? Do you watch boxing? Hatton on points? He barely could lay a glove on Mayweather........The knock on Hatton has been speed and power, the lack therof, which means baaaaaad things for him May 2.

Hatton will be punching alright, with his face. He'll be punching that mug with Pacquiao's stright left. Hatton will not make it to round 7.

Hatton was rocked twice by Lazcano in their May 2008 fight. Lazcano hadn't fought in 27 months before that fight and if Hatton's ref (the fight was in Manchestor) hadn't stopped the fight for a minute to get Hatton's shoelaces tied, Lazcano would have finished off Hatton. Instead, the power punching Hatton had to go the limit against the rusty Lazcano.

Pacquiao is a proven champion who is not rusty. Really, nothing more needs to be said.

this is gonna be helluva barnburner! don't blink!!

I mentioned the Lazcano fight earlier. Below a report of that eastsideboxing.com. Now if Lazcano can do this, can you imagine what a faster, tougher Pacquaio will do?

From eastsideboxing:

"Ricky Hatton certainly won this fight in my estimate and did so by constantly pressuring Lazcano, albeit sloppily but winning the most rounds. Hatton was the aggressor most of the fight. Lazcano was mostly on defense but managed to score the kinds of punches that won him four of the twelve rounds on my score card. Also, Lazcano hurt Hatton twice in this fight. Hatton won rounds with batteries of punches but never did hurt Lazcano.

Hatton fought in the over anxious style that made him a big hit and from the cheap seats, it must have looked very impressive. In closer view, Hatton fought wildly and sloppily and though he did score often, it was rare that he scored anything flush.

To his credit, Lazcano wasn’t just an “opponent,” he fought like a warrior who came to win. He fought an intelligent, strategic fight. He was able to score often on the inside and discovered Hatton easy to find from a boxer vs. brawler point of view. Ultimately, he didn’t do enough consistently to win many rounds. It was a steep hill for Lazcano, who was more than just an underdog on foreign soil, facing a former champion with something to prove and a referee that was as pro Hatton as could be possible. The referee, Howard Foster, took directions from Hatton’s eyes, as to when to break the clinches and actually saved Hatton from possibly being knocked out in the tenth round by stopping the action to warn Lazcano for a phantom foul so as to give Hatton recovery time. He even instructed Hatton’s corner to tie his shoelaces for another 20 seconds to recover.

The referee, Howard Foster, took directions from Hatton's eyes, as to when to break the clinches and actually saved Hatton from possibly being knocked out in the tenth round by stopping the action to warn Lazcano for a phantom foul so as to give Hatton recovery time. He even instructed Hatton's corner to tie his shoelaces for another 20 seconds to recover.

This is where boxing is so apt to fall into "funny business".

I'm sure the promoters of Hatton's next fight(s) were having cardiac arrests when they saw he might go down to Lazcano.............good thing the ref was on the payroll.

This is the only thing that worries me about this fight, Pacquiao should clean Hatton's clock but what if they are looking ahead at Hatton-Pacquiao II..................???

The referee, Howard Foster, took directions from Hatton's eyes, as to when to break the clinches and actually saved Hatton from possibly being knocked out in the tenth round by stopping the action to warn Lazcano for a phantom foul so as to give Hatton recovery time. He even instructed Hatton's corner to tie his shoelaces for another 20 seconds to recover.

This is where boxing is so apt to fall into "funny business".

I'm sure the promoters of Hatton's next fight(s) were having cardiac arrests when they saw he might go down to Lazcano.............good thing the ref was on the payroll.

This is the only thing that worries me about this fight, Pacquiao should clean Hatton's clock but what if they are looking ahead at Hatton-Pacquiao II..................???

On the Lazcano fight, after the 8th, Lazcano winked at Hatton's corner. It is hard to know what he meant, but it looked like he thought he could KO Hatton, since he hurt him in the 8th. Early in the 10th, Hatton was hurt so badly that the Manchester Ref jumped in with the phantom foul and then the shoelace delay. Replays showed absolutely no foul, other than Hatton wobbling and Lazcano moving in to finish him which must be a foul in Manchester.

This fight will not be in Manchester and there are enough real pro's in this weight class to where they won't have to save Hatton to give Pacman another big payday. Hatton's only chance is a lucky shot early, but if this doesn't happen, Pacman will knock him out and then go on to face either Cotto or Margarito.

This fight will not be in Manchester and there are enough real pro's in this weight class to where they won't have to save Hatton to give Pacman another big payday. Hatton's only chance is a lucky shot early.

Hattons never been the biggest puncher its his constant workrate that wears boxers down, but his body shots are outstanding. If Hatton is to win he'll have to be on Pacman like a Nana plaza rash from start to finish.

Manny's last fight was against the shell of a legend, he couldnt have lost that fight, and the fight you speak of well many an underdogs performed well in such a fight often the favourite isnt at his prime for such a fight.

And as for saying the referee was on the take in the Hatton fight thats just complete American bullsh7t fabrication, if you go to France Germany you need to knock them out to win but in England at this level i'd be pretty sure there is no match-fixing, and referees and judges are wholly impartial.

The referee in the Mayweather Hatton fight was certainly one sided was one on the take????????

This fight will not be in Manchester and there are enough real pro's in this weight class to where they won't have to save Hatton to give Pacman another big payday. Hatton's only chance is a lucky shot early.

Hattons never been the biggest puncher its his constant workrate that wears boxers down, but his body shots are outstanding. If Hatton is to win he'll have to be on Pacman like a Nana plaza rash from start to finish.

Manny's last fight was against the shell of a legend, he couldnt have lost that fight, and the fight you speak of well many an underdogs performed well in such a fight often the favourite isnt at his prime for such a fight.

And as for saying the referee was on the take in the Hatton fight thats just complete American bullsh7t fabrication, if you go to France Germany you need to knock them out to win but in England at this level i'd be pretty sure there is no match-fixing, and referees and judges are wholly impartial.

The referee in the Mayweather Hatton fight was certainly one sided was this one on the take????????

The referee in the Mayweather Hatton fight was certainly one sided was one on the take????????

I saw both the Hatton/Lazcano and Hatton/Mayweather fights. The Lazcano fight in Manchester was a non title fight. It is not uncommon in non-title fights in the US to have the ref in the back pocket of the hometown favorite and that is how it was in the Lazcano fight. If this sounds like American BS fabrication to you, then I doubt you saw the fight.

Have you ever seen boxing in the Olympics? Have you ever noticed how many world champions there are and how one sanctioning organization will have a #1 contender that isn't even in the top 10 of another sanctioning organization? This is how boxing is.

I agree that De La Hoya was finished before he fought Manny. However, nobody says that Manny is finished, but it has been said that Hatton isn't near the same fighter that beat Kostya Tszyu. That is what makes this an interesting fight. Hatton wouldn't stand a ghost of a chance (IMHO) against Margarito, but he has a chance against a Manny (a past flyweight champion) if he can keep up with Manny's speed. I think for a few rounds this is going to be a great fight.

What time is fight and where in Pattaya can it be watched?

It will be on in pretty much every British pub, Gullivers is always a good one to watch it in IMO.

I believe im right in saying the fights in Vegas are usually on about 10am Thai time, but i maybe out by an hour or so on this, im sure someone can confirm it.

I saw both the Hatton/Lazcano and Hatton/Mayweather fights. The Lazcano fight in Manchester was a non title fight. It is not uncommon in non-title fights in the US to have the ref in the back pocket of the hometown favorite and that is how it was in the Lazcano fight. If this sounds like American BS fabrication to you, then I doubt you saw the fight.

Ive seen all his fights from about no.3 onwards, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this fight rigging.

Have you ever seen boxing in the Olympics? Have you ever noticed how many world champions there are and how one sanctioning organization will have a #1 contender that isn't even in the top 10 of another sanctioning organization? This is how boxing is.

Youre confusing me here as no Olympic boxer is in any sanctioning organisations list, theyre 2 different sports one is Amateur the other Pro ...... but if you were to say the Olympic bouts were a fix i'd agree.

As for fighters being in one list and not another its down to the promoters connections and how often he works with that specific organisation ... Frank Warren more or less made the WBO with his fighters hence they were always at the top of the ratings, now he's friendly with more recognised organisations.

Hatton isn't near the same fighter that beat Kostya Tszyu.

Id agree he hasnt fought to that level since but he's beaten all apart from one put in front of him and he hasnt ducked anyone, his list of defeated opponents is as good as anyones.

I think for a few rounds this is going to be a great fight.

Agreed theyre styles are perfectly suited for a war should be a good one, but often these kind of fights go the distance.

Anyway go on youtube and see the final round of Carl Froch v Taylor last night, one hel_l of a round.

Edited by sanmiguel

I can't get all these quotes sorted out so will respond directly:

On the comment about Olympics and sanctioning bodies, they were separate comments. In the Olympics, scoring is often based on the nationality of the boxer and judge. On sanctioning bodies it is all a scam. There is very little fairness in boxing these days. Hence, the comment about the Lazcano fight held in Manchester.

While OK, I agree to disagree, for the record, below is a quote from the Telegraph:

"Hatton was rocked again by a big left in round 10, but gained respite as referee Howard Foster stopped the fights as Hatton's boot laces had come undone. It clearly allowed Hatton to regain his composure." There is no mention of the phantom foul that preceded this in any of the UK papers.

Roach wants Pacman to use his speed and stay away from Hatton's body punches,while hitting him from the outside. To me, this means Hatton will last longer than a few rounds, but I don't think Hatton has the chin to last an entire fight against a legitimate fighter these days. Hatton has to land a lot of body punches to be effective and I can't see him getting Pacman to fight on the inside, when Pacman can literally take him apart from the outside. The styles on this one very much favor Pacquaio.

I have seen Froch and he is the real deal. He is tough to hit and he hits hard. He is a very, very good fighter, although I understand that all Taylor had to do was last the final 14 seconds and he would have won the fight. This sounds like a rematch made in heaven.

The styles on this one very much favor Pacquaio.

If i were to be impartial my head tells me to go for Pacquaio.

But as im not i think if Hattons trained for this as if its his last chance to be regarded as a top top boxer, and has a good day at the office then his strength and extra power at what his natural weight will see him win.

The styles on this one very much favor Pacquaio.

If i were to be impartial my head tells me to go for Pacquaio.

But as im not i think if Hattons trained for this as if its his last chance to be regarded as a top top boxer, and has a good day at the office then his strength and extra power at what his natural weight will see him win.

I'll bet you a san miguel, sanmiguel.

Hatton is going down, Pacquiao flat out a better fighter.

Anyone confirmed a fight time here in Thailand? I know we are all assuming around 10AM Sunday morning but.................

Hatton should win this by KO.

Pacquiao probably does not have the power at 140 to trouble Hatton. Hatton will be the biggest man Pacquiao has fought who has been rocked and KO'ed at much lightly weights. Hatton to stop him (2nd half of the fight) in a decent WAR.....

Edited by Marksamui

PACMAN will eat him up.

Hatton will walk straight in and will be picked off everytime he does.

I think Manny doesnt know how to play it safe and will attack attack attack. Hatton to be knocked out in the7th-8th round.

Coverage starts 8am on Supersports 2. Looking forward to a creasy breakfast and a coffee.

Pacquiao probably does not have the power at 140 to trouble Hatton.

Hatton will be the biggest man Pacquiao has fought who has been rocked and KO'ed at much lightly weights.

Hatton to stop him (2nd half of the fight) in a decent WAR.....

Didn't Pac stop Oscar at 147, no?

How is hatton the "biggest man" for Pacquiao? :o

I hope it does live up to FOTY expectations.

Edited by ai kwaan

Hatton will be the biggest man Pacquiao has fought who has been rocked and KO'ed at much lightly weights.

How is hatton the "biggest man" for Pacquiao? :)

Samui Mark, where do you get your information?

How is hatton the "biggest man" for Pacquiao? :)

Samui Mark, where do you get your information?

perhaps from the Coyote Bar in Chaweng Rd. :D

Hatton will weigh in at 140 but will enter the ring on fight night between 152-154 (this is common knowledge)

ODH weighed in at 147 and entered the ring at 149, they really screwed up his weight he was dehydrated at the start of the fight and was basically a punch bag. If Hatton had been in there with ODH I think he would have stopped him sooner. ODH had no business fighting back down at welterweight after going up in weight it is very difficult to come down again (RJJ is another example of this)

Pac has been in troubled by Featherweights and was KO'd by a bodyshot years ago. I would say Hatton would be the biggest puncher he has faced.

I see a Hatton victory, unless Pac can really use his speed well and fight on the back foot. If he trades with Hatton I would say Hatton by KO.

But this is just my view and in boxing anything can happen - it is a tough fight for both guys....

I see a Hatton victory, unless Pac can really use his speed well and fight on the back foot. If he trades with Hatton I would say Hatton by KO.

But this is just my view and in boxing anything can happen - it is a tough fight for both guys....

These, I totally agree.

That's the excitement that boxing brings.

Pac has been in troubled by Featherweights and was KO'd by a bodyshot years ago. I would say Hatton would be the biggest puncher he has faced.

check the records of these guys Pacquiao took down.

Pro Fight No. 28

Opponent: Medgoen Singsurat (18-0)

Date/Site: Sept. 17, 1999; Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand

Result: Singsurat by TKO in 3

Why it matters: Turning pro at 106 pounds at age 16, Pacquiao steamrolled opponents with blazing speed and left-handed power that hurt like a bigger man's.

Pro Fight No. 32

Opponent: Nedal Hussein (18-0)

Date/Site: Oct. 14, 2000; Antipolo City, Philippines

Result: Pacquiao by TKO in 10

Why it matters: Unbeaten Australian junior featherweight Nedal Hussein tested Pacquiao in every way. He punched on the break and banged on Pacquiao with his forearms, shoulders and head. But it was a clean, straight left in Round 4 that sent Pacquiao to the canvas. After an eight count, Hussein clumsily tried to finish. He forearmed Pacquiao's head back so far that referee Carlos Padilla penalized Hussein one point. Pacquiao took the moment to recover, and by the next round he was landing hard combinations. He opened a bad gash on Hussein's left cheek, and in Round 10, with an exhausted Pacquiao leading on all scorecards, the ring doctor's advice ended the fight.

Pro Fight No. 35

Opponent: Lehlohonolo Ledwaba (33-1-1)

Date/Site: June 23, 2001; Las Vegas

Result: Pacquiao by TKO in 6

Why it matters: It was Pacquiao's first fight in the United States, and his debut on HBO. He had a new trainer, Freddie Roach, and had accepted this challenge for the IBF super bantamweight title on two weeks' notice. No matter: He destroyed the skilled champ Lehlohonolo Ledwaba. They traded jabs to start, but Pacquiao's power shots were faster and harder.Pro Fight No. 41

Opponent: Marco Antonio Barrera (57-3) (BTW Hatton is no Barrera)

Date/Site: Nov. 15, 2003; San Antonio

Result: Pacquiao by TKO in 11

Why it matters: Fighting the legendary Marco Antonio Barrera was a gargantuan step up. And when Pacquiao hit the floor in Round 1 -- he was off balance as both fighters swung, and referee Laurence Cole ruled it a knockdown -- some figured Barrera would end it early. But soon it seemed Barrera had been ambushed. In Round 2, Pacquiao landed 31 power shots and made mocking gestures as he flashed superior hand speed. He winged five-punch combinations that cleared out Barrera's defense to make way for his left. A left to Barrera's jaw put him down in Round 3. A head butt in Round 7 sent blood down Barrera's face to add a grim visual to the beatdown. Pacquiao floored Barrera in the 11th and as he closed in ferociously, Barrera's corner threw in the towel.

Pro Fight No. 42

Opponent: Juan Manuel Marquez (42-2)

Date/Site: May 8, 2004; Las Vegas

Result: Draw

The judges' scoring diverged widely. One had it 115-110 for Marquez, another 115-110 for Pacquiao. Judge Burt Clements sealed the draw with a 113-113 score, but he admitted making a mistake. He should have had the first round 10-6 for Pacquiao instead of 10-7. Pacquiao would have won a decision. Can you say "fix".

Edited by huggybear