Extension Timing Question

Posted (edited)

Hi. 

After 28 years of working here (non B and WPs) I recently changed to a non O based on marriage as I am currently not working. I got a 90 day visa in Vientiane and re-entered Thailand on 5th April, giving me permission to stay until 3rd July. I planned to apply for a 12 month extension in mid-June at CW. However something has come up and it looks as though I now have to go to the UK from 10-23 June or thereabouts.

What is my best option? Is it too late to do the renewal application when I come back? And conversely is it too early to do it before I leave? As I have never done this before I am unsure so any advice would be highly appreciated as I am not sure what is best.

Many thanks.

Edit: I thought about simply applying for another 90 day non O in London while I am there but a) that would be massively inconvenient as I don't plan on staying in London for too long, and b) their website says it is only for UK residents. I am a citizen, but not a resident.

Edited by josephbloggs

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

What is my best option? Is it too late to do the renewal application when I come back? And conversely is it too early to do it before I leave? As I have never done this before I am unsure so any advice would be highly appreciated as I am not sure what is best.

You can apply to extend your period of stay at least 30 days (45 days at most) prior to your current permission of stay expiring, up until the expiry date.

On submitting, you will receive a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp. Some offices date this from the expiry date of your current permission of stay, whilst others date it from the date of application.

Personally, I would submit the application on your return on 23 June, which still allows you 10 days to submit.
You can prepare your documents prior to leaving, except for updating bank book and obtaining an updated KR2.
Remember to obtain a re-entry permit for your 90-day Non 0.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

First application, probably, fairly standard procedure now.

Then the OP will have to stay in Thailand Until he gets the visit at least, or better until the extension stamp is in his passport. 

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Edit: I thought about simply applying for another 90 day non O in London while I am there but a) that would be massively inconvenient as I don't plan on staying in London for too long, and b) their website says it is only for UK residents. I am a citizen, but not a resident.

You don't apply in London, it's an e-Visa.  As for residence, if you have anything that suggests you are legally there there it ought not be a problem, I think they are wanting only people physically in the country to apply. 

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. So seems like I'm safe to leave it till I get back, even if I stay a little longer than planned and might only have a week or so to do it. Important that I remember to get a re-entry permit at the airport when I leave.

So my understanding from the replies is that I apply before the 3rd July (my current visa expiry) and they will not give it me right away but will stamp me as "under consideration" and extend my permission to stay to whenever this "under consideration" period extends to. Then if approved I'll get a notification of some sort and go back to get the 12 month stamp? 

Thanks again to all.

13 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So my understanding from the replies is that I apply before the 3rd July (my current visa expiry) and they will not give it me right away but will stamp me as "under consideration" and extend my permission to stay to whenever this "under consideration" period extends to. Then if approved I'll get a notification of some sort and go back to get the 12 month stamp?

When you apply and are given an under consideration period stamp.

That has a date on it and you return for your final stamp on that date.

You do not go onto overstay.

Never heard of someone given under consideration and then rejection.

Regarding your reentry permit.

That's zone 2 left side of immigration ques.

So after security check and prior to passport control

BKK offers a 200b service to do the form (TM8) and photo. Optional.

The reentry permit stamp you receive when exit is only valid to date of current extension expiry July 3.

When you obtain your new extension you require a new reentry permit for future travels. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

When you apply and are given an under consideration period stamp.

That has a date on it and you return for your final stamp on that date.

You do not go onto overstay.

Never heard of someone given under consideration and then rejection.

Regarding your reentry permit.

That's zone 2 left side of immigration ques.

BKK offers a 200b service to do the form (TM8) and photo. Optional.

Perfect, very helpful, thank you.