Sushi Restaurant In Chiang Mai?

mp413

I have scoured this forum and the web and found plenty of lists of sushi restaurants in Chiang Mai but...none of them seem to be around anymore! Last time in Chiang Mai I had a tuk tuk drive me to two different places that sounded great but both were closed. I ended up at another Japanese restaurant that was good but had no sushi.

So my question: where can I find good sushi currently? My third night I went to Fuji in the shopping center, which was fine but their selection was pretty limited (maybe that's normal up here in land-locked Ch. Mai?). I also wasn't crazy about the atmosphere/decor. Is there any place that is currently open with a more traditional vibe and good sushi?

Thanks,

mp413

Thanks Ulysses! I gather what you mean is that chains like Fuji are my best bet? The Japanese restaurant I went to was in a pretty non-touristy part of town, definitely only Japanese patrons there, and it was delicious...but no sushi, only cucumber maki. What is Zen like - chain? Is there a good selection?

So it sounds like no really authentic, good, wide-selection sushi joints, eh? Lonely Planet mentions a place in Th. Nimmanhemin (Dai Kichi) - I plan to stay in that neighborhood on my next trip, has anyone tried it? (The LP is from 2007 so maybe this place closed since then as well.)

Appreciate the tips!

I have scoured this forum and the web and found plenty of lists of sushi restaurants in Chiang Mai but...none of them seem to be around anymore! Last time in Chiang Mai I had a tuk tuk drive me to two different places that sounded great but both were closed. I ended up at another Japanese restaurant that was good but had no sushi.

So my question: where can I find good sushi currently? My third night I went to Fuji in the shopping center, which was fine but their selection was pretty limited (maybe that's normal up here in land-locked Ch. Mai?). I also wasn't crazy about the atmosphere/decor. Is there any place that is currently open with a more traditional vibe and good sushi?

Thanks,

mp413

For good sushi/sashimi at a great price I recommend Tsunami on Huay Kaew road (north side), a few shops up from the Fuji film shop near the Phucome intersection. The sushi chef is Thai, but has been trained extensively and has been working solid for over a decade. The staff can be a bit flaky and there's usually a waiting line out front, but the food is solid. I'd go for the salmon sashimi and the salmon/ebi tempura maki - the unagi nigiri is good too. As for the vibe it's more like a noodle shop.

For excellent and totally authentic Japanese food, including sushi (I think their menu is about 40 pages), I highly recommend Kitchen Hush on Kaew Nawarat Road, Soi 2. The owners and sushi chef are Japanese and the restaurant is in an old wooden house that has a really pleasant ambience. The prices are higher, but if you like real Japanese home cookin' with quality ingredients, then it's worth it

Oh and one more thing, first week of May is Golden Week for Japanese, so if you plan to be on the sushi hunt during that time, some Japanese restaurants might be closed.

Edited by pjd

Thanks a lot Sansai Sam I have read about Gigantea but had a hard time figuring out whether it was still open or not. Have you been there recently? It sounds like a very authentic place, I think I read that it's mostly patronized by Japanese customers which is always a good sign. Phone number? I also think I read that it was great for Japanese food but nothing specifically about sushi - they do have sushi, right? :o

Thanks a lot Sansai Sam I have read about Gigantea but had a hard time figuring out whether it was still open or not. Have you been there recently? It sounds like a very authentic place, I think I read that it's mostly patronized by Japanese customers which is always a good sign. Phone number? I also think I read that it was great for Japanese food but nothing specifically about sushi - they do have sushi, right? :o

My wife is Japanese, I am half-Japanese and Gigantea is our favourite Japanese restaurant in Chiangmai by some margin. That said, we have never had sushi there and only some times order sashimi (which was good, so the sushi may be as well). Zen and Fuji are the places we go when we need a sushi fix.

I used to swear by Zen at Airport Plaza but their food quality and service dropped considerably last year, to the point where I am now taking my business mostly to Fuji (Fuji Panthip (at Chang Khlan Rd./the Night Bazaar, and Fuji at Airport Plaza are more or less equivalent - both of them get enough customers to make sure the food is fresh enough and the staff attentive).

Haven't tried the Gigantea but look forward to doing so.

Yamato buffet at 89 Plaza south of the Nong Hoi intersection, on the Chiang Mai-Saraphi Road is another decent option for Japanese food overall, but the sushi is better at Fuji.

I tried Tomi sushi at the same location last week and thought it was good, too, but Fuji still a notch above in my book.

Assuming it's still there, my favorite place is Shiharu on Wua Lai, near Pratu Chiang Mai. The owner and chef is a very friendly Japanese guy, and the sushi has always been excellent. It's the restaurant I miss the most since moving to Chiang Rai...

1) Kitchen Hush... great taste, good atmosphere, pricey, smaller portions - best Japanese in CM, but you pay for it

2) Gigantea... great value lunch sets (around 200 baht with everything including coffee/tea and dessert)

authentic sushi, knowledgeable staff... great place... dinner is significantly more expensive

this place is always full of Japanese expats and tourists (good sign, don't you think?)

CLOSED MONDAYS

3) Tsunami... best value... cheap and good, but often crazy busy

Anything in the malls IMHO is not worth the price tag. Some places are downright bad.

There's another really good place, but the name escapes me. It's in the Nihmanheiman area... quite small... Soi 10? Tiny, great atmosphere, good food...

beef udon is the best I've had.

Visited Tsunami a couple of days a go. Very affordable, the place is always packed. However, IMHO, food served here could be described as Japanese STYLE food rather than Japanese food. The flavour of Sushi rice is not balanced, too much vinegar. The Ramen, noodle it self is of very low quality.

I had a not so pleasant experience at Kitchen Hush but maybe it was an off night. For my money Gigantea is the best and most authentic in Chiang Mai!

Gigantea (it's a small place, named after a large orchid, I was told!) gets my vote, easily. Sadly it seems to open after 6.00pm only and the rest oif the time looks "very" closed.

What do we think of the places that send masses of dishes past your table on little conveyor belts? The price should be sussed by the colour of the plate, I'm told.

The one on the 4th floor of Airport Shopping Plaza looks packed every time I wander past.

In fact only that place and Swensens seem busy there, at all!

What do we think of the places that send masses of dishes past your table on little conveyor belts? The price should be sussed by the colour of the plate, I'm told.

I've been there twice. It is acceptable, but definitely overrated in my opinion. If you rely on the conveyor belt, the location of your seat will determine your access to the more popular dishes (they disappear first from the belt) such as salmon, beef slices and California rolls. You can ask the waiters to pick them up from the kitchen for you though.

The one on the 4th floor of Airport Shopping Plaza looks packed every time I wander past.

I am amazed that this is still the case, it really is not that good, especially not compared to Fuji or Zen in the same building. But the locals are suckers for buffets. The food quality at many of the Moo Katha and Moo Jum places is abysmal, but they still pull in the crowds...

I'm surprised that no one mentioned "Akamon" inside Hillside Plaza 4. They have a wide variety of Sushi, a very well trained Sushi chef who can also make your requests to order, larger sized pieces than the chain restaurants, and certainly better ambiance. With almost 25% of the building tenants being Japanese families, Akamon does a large local business but not much of an outside crowd so seating is rarely a problem. As for prices, the main menu tends to be a bit pricey, but they have very reasonable sets on offer for their lunches.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I had a not so pleasant experience at Kitchen Hush but maybe it was an off night. For my money Gigantea is the best and most authentic in Chiang Mai!

Gigantea (it's a small place, named after a large orchid, I was told!) gets my vote, easily. Sadly it seems to open after 6.00pm only and the rest oif the time looks "very" closed.

In fact only that place and Swensens seem busy there, at all!

actually a lot of restaurants at the airport plaza are doing well. most of them are packed on the weekends. Sizzler, Fuji (almost always packed), Zen, Hot Pot Suki Shabu. But that new place by Oishi that has the food served on conveyor belts is the bomb!. Seems to be many new Japanese themed restaurants there.

Too bad Secret Recipe (next to Sizzlers) is not doing too good. It has excellent food and cakes IMO.

Not from where I live. :)

UG, they are only opened from 11:30-2:00, then close until 5:00 when they re-open. For a good lunch, try their lunch menu sushi set with an a la carte order of 'gyoza.' Makes a delicious meal that will stick with you all afternoon. The set comes with rice, miso soup, tsukemono (Japanese pickled veggies) and 'something else,' a little dish that varies from day to day. There is also a small desert and tea included in the set. The gyoza would be extra, but worth it! :D

Yamato buffet at 89 Plaza south of the Nong Hoi intersection, on the Chiang Mai-Saraphi Road is another decent option for Japanese food overall, but the sushi is better at Fuji.

Anyone knows what is served for the buffet and approx how much ?