Tourist Visa To Canada For Thai National

sunluvr

maybe this belongs in one of the travel related forums but i think it's more appropriate to the gay forum to start...

My Thai bf is about to apply for a temporary resident (tourist) visa to come to Canada to visit me this summer and I have a general idea what's required in order to apply but wondering if there is anyone out there that has had direct experience in doing the same thing... either successfully or not... I have downloaded the application form and the guidelines/instructions already... and I am aware of the kinds of things that they look for in the Thai applicant - i.e. any property ownership, letter from employer indicating job will be available upon his return, proof of personal financial situation, close family ties, etc...

depending on the response I get from here, I may provide more details about our situation here, or do it privately. Feel free to reply here or send me private message and we can discuss further one-on-one...

cheers..

maybe this belongs in one of the travel related forums but i think it's more appropriate to the gay forum to start...

My Thai bf is about to apply for a temporary resident (tourist) visa to come to Canada to visit me this summer and I have a general idea what's required in order to apply but wondering if there is anyone out there that has had direct experience in doing the same thing... either successfully or not... I have downloaded the application form and the guidelines/instructions already... and I am aware of the kinds of things that they look for in the Thai applicant - i.e. any property ownership, letter from employer indicating job will be available upon his return, proof of personal financial situation, close family ties, etc...

depending on the response I get from here, I may provide more details about our situation here, or do it privately. Feel free to reply here or send me private message and we can discuss further one-on-one...

cheers..

My girlfriend just got a temporary resident (tourist) visa from the Canadian embassy here in Tokyo- she was born male and changed completely (but her ID didn't change- so we were technically same-sex couple), has little money in the bank, and no documentable job. i was very thorough in the application however, and the fact that she already was capable of getting the Japanese visa might have helped. I'm a student, so I don't have a job either. I'm a US citizen with no connection to Canada, so that may have helped. Maybe the biggest thing was that we have documentable history of being together for 2 years and having visited 9 Asian countries together. Neither japan nor canada requested an interview or any additional documentation. we told canada we were considering getting married there.

so i may suggest: if you're scared to try to get it in bangkok, try japan first. if you can get him the japanese visa, then take a 3 week holiday in tokyo and apply there, it will be much easier i believe than the chaotic embassy in bkk where 90% of applicants fail or something.

• 1 month later...

I know this a bit late for the poster, but did he get the visa. My experience with Bangkok Embassy is terrible. Supervisor Mr Anderson is incompetent and has poor staff

Unless applicant clearly has a good job money in the bank and property a visa is unlikely. Staff seem unable to look at other aspects of an application. Also they discriminate against Lao persons.....think they are want to flee a communist state!

Edited by Birgit

I know this a bit late for the poster, but did he get the visa. My experience with Bangkok Embassy is terrible. Supervisor Mr Anderson is incompetent and has poor staff

Not my experience at all. I find the staff very professional and courteous, and I have dealt with them often. Just to clarify, I am talking about the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, i've been away from TV for a few weeks... but unfortunately no, his visa application was denied... for many reasons, most of them I would say were invalid reasons but I know there's no point in arguing... I don't think they even read any of the supporting letters I wrote to accompany his application, or if they did read them, they didn't believe a word of it.. it's been very disappointing for both of us.. but we will manage, I will be back in Thailand later this year and at the beginning of next year he will be able to apply for permanent residency in Canada as my spouse, a totally different application process and thankfully, not through the embassy office in BKK but in Singapore... its a longer approval process but with a much higher success rate.. and never any further need for a visa... :)

Unless applicant clearly has a good job money in the bank and property a visa is unlikely. Staff seem unable to look at other aspects of an application. Also they discriminate against Lao persons.....think they are want to flee a communist state!

• 8 months later...

Sorry, i've been away from TV for a few weeks... but unfortunately no, his visa application was denied... for many reasons, most of them I would say were invalid reasons but I know there's no point in arguing... I don't think they even read any of the supporting letters I wrote to accompany his application, or if they did read them, they didn't believe a word of it.. it's been very disappointing for both of us.. but we will manage, I will be back in Thailand later this year and at the beginning of next year he will be able to apply for permanent residency in Canada as my spouse, a totally different application process and thankfully, not through the embassy office in BKK but in Singapore... its a longer approval process but with a much higher success rate.. and never any further need for a visa... :)

Can I ask......I want to marry my thai boy friend also and we are thinking of getting married in Canada. Doesn't he have to go to Canada first or can it be done on paper? I was actually married before in Canada but got a divorce.

Anyway, I am curios how the process would work if he is not resident in Canada because I thought he had to be present for the ceremony with the justice of the peace, no?