Looking For Work In Thailand

ponder

Hi.

I am coming to Thailand to look for work (teaching English). I have a few interviews arranged already.

I am 48, from Ireland.

I have a tourist visa for two months. If I get a job and my future employer is above board and co-operative and applies for a work permit for me, am I then legally entitled to stay in the country? Or do I need to do the so-called Visa Runs?

I suspect that this information is explained somewhere but I cannot find it.

Thanks.

from what i understand you cannot get a work permit on a tourist visa, you will need to get your self a non im b visa (multiple entry) either before you arrive or after you have secured a teaching position (still haveing to do a border run every 90 days)

if you travel on a single entry tourist visa it will be a border hop every 30 days.

Well!

It is possible for your employer to change your tourist Visa into a Non-imm B Visa, possible but IME unlikely!

So you'll most likely need to obtain a Non-imm B at some point. Most schools will make you work illegally for them (i.e. without a WP) for around 3-6 months (they call it a probationary period) once they're happy with you and you with them, there's a good chance they give you the paperwork to get a single entry Non-imm B from one of the countries bordering Thailand (you can't without a WP get a multiple entry Non-imm B and if you're getting a WP and thus an extended Visa there's no actual need to get a multiple entry).

Once you have the Non-imm B you'll need to supply your school with amongst other things, your degree and possibly a TEFL certificate if you're degree is unrelated to teaching. They'll then apply for your TL, and then your WP, then your extension to your Visa, and then extend your WP in turn with your Visa.

This link explains most of what you need to do, or will need to do:

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/visaworkpermitfaq.htm

Good luck!