Spicy Fried Beef With Ginger.

Hadrian1

I tried this dish in a UK Thai restaurant a while ago. This is what my Thai friend called it in English. But I think in Thai she said something like Pad Nunga prik geng. It was very nice and not what I would call a curry. I thought that 'geng' was 'curry'? Anyway, if anybody knows it, could they tell me what's in it and ideally....a recipe. :o It was a year or two ago I ate it and I only asked lately about the dish. Not sure if she remembers it that well but from my description, this is what she came up with.

Spicy Fried Beef with Ginger

2 tablespoons oil

1 lb sirloin steak tips or skirt steak thinly sliced

2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger

Salt

1 tablespoon Red Curry Paste

1 large onion, sliced (about 2 cups)

2 red or orange bell peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)

3 tablespoons Sweet Red Chili Sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/4 cup chopped basil

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add beef and one tablespoon of the ginger. Salt to taste and stir-fry until meat is barely cooked. With a slotted spoon, remove beef to a bowl, draining oil back into skillet.

2. Add Curry Paste and onion to oil. Stirring, cook until curry is dissolved and fragrant. Add peppers and remaining ginger. Stir-fry until vegetables are tender crisp.

3. Add Sweet Red Chili Sauce and soy sauce to vegetables . Stir to combine. Pour reserved meat, with accumulated juices into skillet. Cook until meat is just heated through. Add basil and mix until combined. Serve with Jasmine rice.

Spicy Fried Beef with Ginger

2 tablespoons oil

1 lb sirloin steak tips or skirt steak thinly sliced

2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger

Salt

1 tablespoon Red Curry Paste

1 large onion, sliced (about 2 cups)

2 red or orange bell peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)

3 tablespoons Sweet Red Chili Sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/4 cup chopped basil

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add beef and one tablespoon of the ginger. Salt to taste and stir-fry until meat is barely cooked. With a slotted spoon, remove beef to a bowl, draining oil back into skillet.

2. Add Curry Paste and onion to oil. Stirring, cook until curry is dissolved and fragrant. Add peppers and remaining ginger. Stir-fry until vegetables are tender crisp.

3. Add Sweet Red Chili Sauce and soy sauce to vegetables . Stir to combine. Pour reserved meat, with accumulated juices into skillet. Cook until meat is just heated through. Add basil and mix until combined. Serve with Jasmine rice.

Hey.....thanks for that. I suppose the basil would be Thai Sweet as opposed to Holy? Did I have the name correct?

Hadrian1 and zaphodbeeblebrox.... quite a mix up here... let me try and clear it up for you....

"Fried Beef With Ginger" translates to [neuua phat khing], where beef is stir fried with ear mushroom and ginger...seasoned with yellow bean sauce and fish sauce... very similar to the more common version of Chicken ginger

see:

Stir fried Chicken with Ginger tutorial:

phadking01.jpg

Now zaphodbeeblebrox recipe is a western variation of ผัดแกงเผ็ดขิง [phat gaaeng phet khing] which is a stir fried red curry... the ginger however is ponded with the curry paste. if you dont have access to ingredients or time to make your own, simple red curry paste will do. the curry is fried seasoned with fish sauce and bit of palm sugar, kaffir lime leaves and long beans. no basil is added!

this is how the dish looks like:

IMG_7513-705153.JPG

a third dish family, where sometimes basil is added, with a similar name is ผัดผ็ด [phat phet], the curry paste is fried with wild ginger (krachai), kafir lime leaves and fresh pepper corns.... no other vegetables are added!! the dish looks like this

Dr.Suntiparb_Chaiw-Evergreengolf_179_resize.jpg

114453_44392.jpg

i hope it helps a bit....