Bangkok Is Sinking, What's The Solution

sbk

Sinking solutions  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone pointed this article out to me by meteorologist Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand’s National Disaster Warning Center. (Isn't he the guy who warned a tsunami could happen but got ignored???)

Bangkok is sinking

So, Bangkokians, what to do to solve the problem?

Move the capital --how and to where? build dykes like in New Orleans? Build it up higher? Refill the aquifers? I am not an engineering type at all and if it really is sinking can't see that there is much of a solution. New Orleans certainly can attest to the efficacy of dykes if not maintained :o

Someone pointed this article out to me by meteorologist Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand's National Disaster Warning Center. (Isn't he the guy who warned a tsunami could happen but got ignored???)

Bangkok is sinking

Move the capital --how and to where? build dykes like in New Orleans? Build it up higher? Refill the aquifers? I am not an engineering type at all and if it really is sinking can't see that there is much of a solution. New Orleans certainly can attest to the efficacy of dykes if not maintained :o

well lets see, ignore the promblem till it happens? ... my fortune teller hasnt told me of this so lets not get to worked up :D

That's why Bangkok has the Skytrain & Elevated Highways ( Forward Planing ) ??

The Venice of the East Bangkok should look nice.

what about the MRT then? foresight or blinded?

I say do nothing but get boats, thankfully a solution to car pollution :o

Not convinced that it is sinking. I guess it's possible, but then also realize that there still exist members of the Flat Earth Society (even though their numbers are dwindling).

I remember in the 70's with the energy shortage. We were told there wasn't enough fuel to last our lifetimes.

Something to consider, but don't yet believe it. Some areas are having extreme droughts...and some are flooding like never before. Not a climate expert here, but believe it's all cyclical if you look at the Earth's history.

Well my BKK pad is a four story shophouse. In 2030, I will still have 3 floors left. I wouldn't worry about it. The asteroid will destroy civilization before BKK becomes flooded. the asteroid is coming

Agreed.

Who wants to think about wading in some water for a few years when there are these more suitable fatalist thoughts to ponder?

http://www.listsergeant.com/site/index.php..._life_on_earth/

I would say build dykes like the Dutch. Bangkok isn't lost, as measures can be taken. But it does require long term planning.

long range planning?....haha in thailand....yea yea we plan plan, and hope for the best...finger crossed

hmm....my family has been in the same spot for the last 300 yrs, and we have ...up to 2 boats now!!!..LOL

every man for himself....yeah? :o

Edited by teacup

nothing--- unfortunately.

So if you're planning on visiting BKK I suggest you do it fast. :D

:o good one teacup.

Anyway, well maintained dykes like in Holland certainly work but if the maintenance isn't handled correctly (ala New Orleans) disaster can happen. I can't say that maintenance seems to be high on any govts priority list in this country.

I would say build dykes like the Dutch. Bangkok isn't lost, as measures can be taken. But it does require long term planning.

long range planning?....haha in thailand....yea yea we plan plan, and hope for the best...finger crossed

hmm....my family has been in the same spot for the last 300 yrs, and we have ...up to 2 boats now!!!..LOL

every man for himself....yeah? :o

Where are the engineers.........hey WB........chime in. Do you ever visit ThaiVisa?

Anyway, I am not an engineer. But can't you divert water in such a way as to relieve the water pressure that causes the water to rise?

Why not build a series of large, deep, drainage canals to the sea? And get all of the yellow and red shirts to build it.

That should keep them too busy to engage in a civil war.

Why not build a series of large, deep, drainage canals to the sea? And get all of the yellow and red shirts to build it.

That should keep them too busy to engage in a civil war.

now thats constructive thinking :o

You guys are such dreamers.....sigh sigh

If you white people can't even save ...the venice of the west,

Do you think anything can be done to save......the venice of the east?

huh huh :o

My advice: get a boat, learn to swim.....and in the meantime ...don't worry, be happy :D

My advice: get a boat, learn to swim.....and in the meantime ...don't worry, be happy :D

I have the solution to this whole global rising water situation. It's so simple, so obvious, don't know why until now it hasn't been thought of.

Go out to the Gulf of Thailand and drill about a million 1 meter diameter holes that go down about 10 km each, as the water gets sucked into the sub layers below the earths crust, an enormous amount of steam can be captured and used in clean energy projects.

You can send me your contributions on via wire transfer to:

James Saves Venice of The East Fund (and rest of the world)

CO TV member number 10000 something

Bank of Retirement Fund

Bangkok.

I have the solution to this whole global rising water situation. It's so simple, so obvious, don't know why until now it hasn't been thought of.

Go out to the Gulf of Thailand and drill about a million 1 meter diameter holes that go down about 10 km each, as the water gets sucked into the sub layers below the earths crust, an enormous amount of steam can be captured and used in clean energy projects.

be careful when go out to the Gulf .......don't fly the american flag.......we don't have the thai - navyseal unit here :D

You can send me your contributions on via wire transfer to:

James Saves Venice of The East Fund (and rest of the world)---aka Teacup ...(if u prefer a shorter name) :D

CO TV member number 10000 something

Bank of Retirement Fund

Bangkok.

Someone pointed this article out to me by meteorologist Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand’s National Disaster Warning Center. (Isn't he the guy who warned a tsunami could happen but got ignored???)

Bangkok is sinking

Move all fat farangs outside of BKK. :D

Bangkok is sinking

Move all fat farangs outside of BKK. :D

Mark, I would like to let you know that fat is lighter than muscle - so in those terms - all the muscle heads and fit people should leave immediately.

I for one, am doing my part to make myself as light a possible.

I remember in the 70's with the energy shortage. We were told there wasn't enough fuel to last our lifetimes.

Something to consider, but don't yet believe it. Some areas are having extreme droughts...and some are flooding like never before. Not a climate expert here, but believe it's all cyclical if you look at the Earth's history.

I found your post interesting. I have a degree in geosciences and yes, actually earned it back in the 70's. When "we were told there wasn't enough fuel to last our lifetimes", that was based on fuel reserves that had actually been discovered at the time, not taking into consideration new discoveries that would occur and new technology that would be developed. But, good point!

In terms of your comment about the cyclical aspect of rising seas due to glacial and polar melting, yes, bkac in the 70's that was predicted to occur just about now as part of the cyclical change in the amount of ice in the world. We are moving further into an interglacial period. I do suspect, however, that we've speeded that process up.

Someone pointed this article out to me by meteorologist Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand's National Disaster Warning Center. (Isn't he the guy who warned a tsunami could happen but got ignored???)

Bangkok is sinking

Let it sink.....................

Is it sinking still ? They said that when I was a kid, you'd think everyone's in Bangkok would be swimming by now.

How do they know Bangkok is really sinking ? May be instead of Bangkok sinking, its water that is rising...