Aus Spouse Visa

Last Tuesday my wife and I went to the embassy to give our applications + evidence etc. It was very busy that day and the line up was huge. The web site had been down and we were'nt sure how much it was so we lined up and asked, she said 41,050 bt only payable by cheque. So we went to the bank and waited in another huge line and got the cheque. We went back at about 11.40am and the line was even longer,there were a lot of students applying that day. We finally got to the window and handed over our papers, sat down & waited for her name to be called, then she asked if we had an appointment for an interview. How could we if we were only at the first stage of the procedure? (Step 1: To have application forms, certified copies, evidence, written statements, stat decs and the cheque).

She told us to go home and they will send a letter asking for anything else they require and a date for our interview. I think :o

I thought that we were supposed to have our interview that day. Well, I assume we will be getting this letter this week.

Is this the usual procedure at the oz embassy?

Any comments welcome.

Thanks!

Geezzz, it takes a while then. Drop em off a heap of money and wait a few months.

My friend is English and his wife got hers in 3 weeks for the UK, Australia's system is slow as. Bloody hopeless. :o

If the interview goes well they will give us a medical form and a police clearence form. Have you got any idea how long it takes for police clearence checks to be done in Thailand? :D

Another thing I'm worried about is that she's 3.5 months pregnant. I guess our kid will be born here after all. Will that affect her visa?

Thanks!

Good in some ways, bad in others.

On another thread 'Bronco' mentioned he got a briefing and forms on the first visit and another member called 'genuine', said he got thier visa in 5 weeks and an interview on the first visit.???? My case stinks already.

cheers!

Edited by taxidriver

Have you got any idea how long it takes for police clearence checks to be done in Thailand? :o

We went straight from the embassy to the Police Headquaters after submitting application and money and documentation. My then fiance (now wife) talked to a plain clothes cop and both of them kept looking over at me whilst I was sitting in the waiting area. He didn't ask for any extra money but my wife knew it was common practice to give extra if you want something done quickly.

We picked up the police check in 4 days. Otherwise it could have taken 4 weeks. We got the medical check done the same day and the hospital sent the results straight to the embassey.

We got a phone call 1 week after application and was given an interview date of 4 weeks later. I was back in Australia at the time of interview and my wife was given a 2 hour interview. 2 weeks after that she got a phone call to pick up her visa. :D

The biggest hassle for us was getting the police check from Taiwan where my wife had worked for 3 years previously. Nigh on near impossble. Only got it because someone that I knew had some contacts there.

Hope that helps :D