Buy Snorkeling Gear In Canada Or Thailand?

hermespan

I snorkel everyday in a pool in Canada. I want to continue my habit while in Thailand - preferably enjoying some real ocean too. Not sure whether I can get good value fins (strap type so fit easily in luggage) in Bangkok or whether to go to my local huge selection dive shop in Canada. Of course there are many options in Canada, including craigslist second-hand. When I shopped for scuba material in Phuket, it was imported from Italy and I could have done better back home. Not sure about goggles and fins. Suggestions?

I snorkel everyday in a pool in Canada. I want to continue my habit while in Thailand - preferably enjoying some real ocean too. Not sure whether I can get good value fins (strap type so fit easily in luggage) in Bangkok or whether to go to my local huge selection dive shop in Canada. Of course there are many options in Canada, including craigslist second-hand. When I shopped for scuba material in Phuket, it was imported from Italy and I could have done better back home. Not sure about goggles and fins. Suggestions?
Well, that means you did not look around very good on Phuket. Especially masks and fins are locally made, and excellent value for money, for a good quality mask you will pay around 30 US$ less here. Also wetsuits are good and cheap, as are some of the fins.

The major brand equipment is in general about the same price as all over the world, there tends to be not much difference in price for that.

Well, that means you did not look around very good on Phuket. Especially masks and fins are locally made, and excellent value for money, for a good quality mask you will pay around 30 US$ less here. Also wetsuits are good and cheap, as are some of the fins.

The major brand equipment is in general about the same price as all over the world, there tends to be not much difference in price for that.

Thank you for your rapid response!

I was shopping in Phuket for scuba material by the meter to make a camera vest. It was very expensive. So, it sounds like snorkeling fins can be had in Bangkok for a decent price. Any suggestions on which shop has the best selection? I am surprised that name brand would be same price worldwide since in country of manufacture (i.e. Italy) should be cheaper than if exported to Thailand (shipping, duty, taxes etc). But maybe it is priced to local market. For example I buy Stadler pencils in Phnom Penh cheaper than in Canada. Who knows, maybe they are cheaper than in Germany! Perhaps at stopover in Korea that would be a good choice, or is Italy still the major manufacturer? Funny China hasn't gotten into the scuba and snorkeling gear market. It is in virtually every industry! Or maybe they have. Must research this.

In Bangkok you can try the Decathlon store, it's far from the center in the ground floor of the Bagna Tower, in Bagna road, about 2 or 3 kilometers North of the Central Bangna shopping mall. They have nice and very cheap wetsuits, fins, snorkelling sets and other things from the Tribord brand. There's also plenty of other sport clothing and equipment at very good prices.