Investment Fund For Thai Partner?

I am not at all familiar with investment stuff, so I was hoping I could get help here just with the basics. Basically, if I were to have a large sum of money (3 million baht or more), is it worthwhile in Thailand to put that in some sort of mutual fund type thing where my Thai partner could get paid a small amount (say 3%?) each month? The reason I ask is because she's from an undeveloped part of Isaan and wants to live there, and there just isn't enough employment there despite her education to get a decent income. So in other words, how much does one need to invest to get a solid sum out each month? I was hoping she could get at least 30,000 baht per month.

I am not at all familiar with investment stuff, so I was hoping I could get help here just with the basics. Basically, if I were to have a large sum of money (3 million baht or more), is it worthwhile in Thailand to put that in some sort of mutual fund type thing where my Thai partner could get paid a small amount (say 3%?) each month? The reason I ask is because she's from an undeveloped part of Isaan and wants to live there, and there just isn't enough employment there despite her education to get a decent income. So in other words, how much does one need to invest to get a solid sum out each month? I was hoping she could get at least 30,000 baht per month.

On 3 mil thats almost a 12% net return.....dont think you would get that anywhere in the world at the moment....more like 2.5% - 3.5% so you are looking at about 7,500 a month unless of course you start eroding the initial investment....wouldnt think she would need 30,000 a month in BKK let alone in Issan...1,000 baht a day...you could try the normal rubbish that people come out with...money lending....buy a tractor for the rice harvest etc...those ideas never work...keep your money in a safe bank in your home country

3% on 3 million is 90.000 baht a month.Can I apply to be your partner?

You cant be my partner,as you can only be about 8 yo.

dont you mean 90,000 baht a year young boy.

The best you could do is to consult an IFA (on this board is none) and present your expectations. Should he know of some products matching your pretty high demands you have to make sure that you understand the risk and are willed to take it.

A good IFA must have access to past and updated verified performance reports of available investments in order to make a recommendation which is a statistical projection of the future based on the past. Don't deal with banks who are only interested in commissions and benchmark relation unless you add a few 0s after your 3 mill.

No daddy I meant a month as the op said "get paid a small amount (say 3%?) each month" and he was talking about an investment of 3 million baht OR MORE.

By the way I don't wanna be your partner since you seem to be so old that you need reading glasses but can't afford them. :o

No daddy I meant a month as the op said "get paid a small amount (say 3%?) each month" and he was talking about an investment of 3 million baht OR MORE.

By the way I don't wanna be your partner since you seem to be so old that you need reading glasses but can't afford them. :o

90,000 baht a month would be an interest rate of around 31%...you really should go and read some text books maths....

90,000 baht a month would be an interest rate of around 31%...you really should go and read some text books maths....

Ok I make it simple to you both pat's,strange that you both have a member name Pat.

3.000.000 divided by 100 and then multiplied with 3 gives 90.000.Right or not?To you information this is the secret formula to calculate 3 percent on 3 million.Since the OP said he want to give his partner the amount of 3 % EACH MONTH on an investment of 3 million baht that calculates as NINETY thousand a MONTH.

Now where is patinthailand to reply.

Edit:And I think you should go read some math books because 3 percent a month gives 36 percent annually.Actually not such a difficult calculation.

Edited by basjke

3.000.000 divided by 100 and then multiplied with 3 gives 90.000.Right or not?

Yes you are right but....................Interest rates are quoted per year :o

So you have not finished your formula.

You now need to take your 90k & divide it by 12 to get a monthly interest income...which is what they are asking to be 30k

Yours is at 7,500

On 3 million Baht you need approx 12% interest to see 30k per month interest

PS: To the OP you would need to invest 12 million baht at 3% to get 30k a month interest but..........dont forget taxes eh :D

Edited by flying

When I read the OP's post, I don't think he ever mentioned a rate of return. He asked about pulling out 3% of the principle, not a 3% monthly return. Assuming 3M THB in the account, a 3% withdrawal the first month - assuming no return - is 90,000THB. That's a lot of money. As unfamiliar he admits to be about investment, it appears he's also unfamiliar with an appropriate payment for a partner.

what the heck is wrong with some of the posters here? I made no grammatical connection in my first post to a 3 million baht investment (I said "or more"), 3% (I said, "say"), and my completely unrelated desire to get around 30k a month. I never equated them to a single formula, so STOP with the nerdy math quips! I basically just want to know if 3% of the principle is the normal expected monthly return on a conservative mutual fund or whatever they're called... does anyone out there have something like that?

Yes could could invest money in a Thai mutual fund and probably get a 3% per annum gross return at relatively low risk. Refer other thread in this forum marked "1% interest" for link to web site where you can see past returns for many Thai funds.

Yes could could invest money in a Thai mutual fund and probably get a 3% per annum gross return at relatively low risk. Refer other thread in this forum marked "1% interest" for link to web site where you can see past returns for many Thai funds.

sorry to say but this is misleading information. Particularly for thai mutual funds the currency risk is immense and you are much better and for instance safer off with a simple savings account. Not to mention management and accounting fees which will convert your investment to an inflationary net loser as well as the savings account just does it involve much lower risk.

As I said before consult a skilled IFA and don't waste your time here.

sorry to say but this is misleading information. Particularly for thai mutual funds the currency risk is immense and you are much better and for instance safer off with a simple savings account. Not to mention management and accounting fees which will convert your investment to an inflationary net loser as well as the savings account just does it involve much lower risk.

You either did not read my post closely, or you are talking through your hat, as my statement was not at all misleading. If I had said 'no risk' then you might have a leg to stand on.

I am not making a recommendation - I don't know the OP's personal circumstances - I am simply answering his question

I am assuming from his statement that his money was already in Thailand - I am not recommending that he bring it here for the intended purpose. If it is already here then your statement about currency risk (which may or may not be correct) is moot, and even if not the currency risk would apply equally to money in a (Thai) simple savings account or any other investment in Thailand.

I don't see why accountancy fees need apply to a mutual fund investment, but even with management and exit fees he could still be ahead of inflation (at present). Not so for the bank account - no chance.

I certainly do agree however that the OP should consult with a skilled financial advisor

Edited by chiangmaibruce

You either did not read my post closely, or you are talking through your hat, as my statement was not at all misleading. If I had said 'no risk' then you might have a leg to stand on.

I am not making a recommendation - I don't know the OP's personal circumstances - I am simply answering his question

I am assuming from his statement that his money was already in Thailand - I am not recommending that he bring it here for the intended purpose. If it is already here then your statement about currency risk (which may or may not be correct) is moot, and even if not the currency risk would apply equally to money in a (Thai) simple savings account or any other investment in Thailand.

I don't see why accountancy fees need apply to a mutual fund investment, but even with management and exit fees he could still be ahead of inflation (at present). Not so for the bank account - no chance.

I certainly do agree however that the OP should consult with a skilled financial advisor

true, I didn't read your post closely just like you didn't read the OP's otherwise where did you provide an answer to his question? The only thing clear to understand is that he is willed to invest 3 mill+ in order to shoot for 12% per annum. Assumptions what his personal circumstances are or where his money is parked at the moment are secondary.

Edited by PCA

true, I didn't read your post closely just like you didn't read the OP's otherwise where did you provide an answer to his question?

Refer post #11

"I basically just want to know if 3% of the principle is the normal expected monthly return on a conservative mutual fund or whatever they're called"

true, I didn't read your post closely just like you didn't read the OP's otherwise where did you provide an answer to his question?

Refer post #11

"I basically just want to know if 3% of the principle is the normal expected monthly return on a conservative mutual fund or whatever they're called"

I see you now :o

Svenn,

Why don't you just set up whatever type of account you need in your homeland to obtain 3% and then set up a savings or checking account also in your homeland where you deposit 30K per month. You could leave the ATM card with your partner and she could withdraw this money when necessary.

Ok I make it simple to you both pat's,strange that you both have a member name Pat.

3.000.000 divided by 100 and then multiplied with 3 gives 90.000.Right or not?To you information this is the secret formula to calculate 3 percent on 3 million.Since the OP said he want to give his partner the amount of 3 % EACH MONTH on an investment of 3 million baht that calculates as NINETY thousand a MONTH.

Now where is patinthailand to reply.

Edit:And I think you should go read some math books because 3 percent a month gives 36 percent annually.Actually not such a difficult calculation.

actually it is slightly more difficult to calculate and 3% per month works out to MORE than 36% per annum :o anybody doubting my claim?

what the heck is wrong with some of the posters here? I made no grammatical connection in my first post to a 3 million baht investment (I said "or more"), 3% (I said, "say"), and my completely unrelated desire to get around 30k a month. I never equated them to a single formula, so STOP with the nerdy math quips! I basically just want to know if 3% of the principle is the normal expected monthly return on a conservative mutual fund or whatever they're called... does anyone out there have something like that?

with all due respect Svenn... your question demonstrates clearly that... :o and to answer your question, nobody is "out there" who would pay 3% a month on any conservative investment!

[

actually it is slightly more difficult to calculate and 3% per month works out to MORE than 36% per annum :D anybody doubting my claim?

No of course not :D

But I must say as this thread has gone on the OP question could be added to a test just to show how confusing it could be.

But at the end of the day this is what I read or what my eyes saw :o

Basically, if I were to have a large sum of money (3 million baht or more)......could get paid a small amount (say 3%?) each month?.....how much does one need to invest to get ....I was hoping she could get at least 30,000 baht per month