Misleading Sign In Mrt Subway, Sukhumvit Station

thailien8

What about the signs in Bangkok's MRT subway Sukhumvit station, directing innocent passengers to Exit 2, that read " Soi Sukhumvit 23 (Prasanmit) " ?

If I didn't know better, when I reached street level on the escalators (Thank You, MRT) I would probably assume that the wide, congested "soi" I was looking at must indeed be "Soi Sukhumvit 23". But, of course, it's not. Believe it or not, this monster "soi" is actually Sukhumvit soi 21, better known as Soi Asoke. I think it's really more of a "thanon" than a "soi", but that's just quibbling.

So what about "Soi Sukhumvit 23" ? Where the hel_l is that? Well, if innocent tourist (and fat wife) are really determined to reach this mysterious "Soi Sukhumvit 23", as promised by MRT on their lovely signs, what's the shortest way? Soi Cowboy, here we come!

March straight on thru, the length of Soi Cowboy, to reach the promised land of "Soi Sukhumvit 23". Never mind the bright lights, the semi-dressed bar girls, the come-ons from both sides, the moto-crazies, the elephants, the always exciting televised replays of any EPL or UEFA soccer game. Soi 23, here we come!

There is no mention of the infamous Soi Cowboy on any signs in the MRT Sukhumvit station, right next to The Ranch. This seems to be unmentionable.

So I'm intrigued as to why the Thais would mislead MRT passengers. Why do the signs all point to soi 23, when the MRT exit is on soi 21?

Is this an indirect, face-saving, Thai way to lure innocent tourists into the lair of Soi Cowboy?

What about the signs in Bangkok's MRT subway Sukhumvit station, directing innocent passengers to Exit 2, that read " Soi Sukhumvit 23 (Prasanmit) " ?

If I didn't know better, when I reached street level on the escalators (Thank You, MRT) I would probably assume that the wide, congested "soi" I was looking at must indeed be "Soi Sukhumvit 23". But, of course, it's not. Believe it or not, this monster "soi" is actually Sukhumvit soi 21, better known as Soi Asoke. I think it's really more of a "thanon" than a "soi", but that's just quibbling.

So what about "Soi Sukhumvit 23" ? Where the hel_l is that? Well, if innocent tourist (and fat wife) are really determined to reach this mysterious "Soi Sukhumvit 23", as promised by MRT on their lovely signs, what's the shortest way? Soi Cowboy, here we come!

March straight on thru, the length of Soi Cowboy, to reach the promised land of "Soi Sukhumvit 23". Never mind the bright lights, the semi-dressed bar girls, the come-ons from both sides, the moto-crazies, the elephants, the always exciting televised replays of any EPL or UEFA soccer game. Soi 23, here we come!

There is no mention of the infamous Soi Cowboy on any signs in the MRT Sukhumvit station, right next to The Ranch. This seems to be unmentionable.

So I'm intrigued as to why the Thais would mislead MRT passengers. Why do the signs all point to soi 23, when the MRT exit is on soi 21?

Is this an indirect, face-saving, Thai way to lure innocent tourists into the lair of Soi Cowboy?

Are you suggesting that all exit should be marked Soi 21? If so, what would be the point?

I don't mind the outcome of this treachery. I head straight through cowboy to the fish and chip shop then head straight back to the bars.

John.....

What about the VERY LARGE and obvious maps near all the entrances/exits inside and outside the MRT and Skytrain stations?

Do you think it would help passengers more if the signs were NYC subway style and used SW, NW, SE, NE for the corners of the intersection? I don't.

Edited by surface

If you reach street level from the MRT exit, the quickest and most obvious way to reach Soi 23 isn't along Soi Cowboy, but along Sukhumvit main road, as the very clear maps in the station indicate.

Dantilley is absolutely correct. The escalators take you to Soi 21 (Asoke), you can then turn left, go to the corner of Sukhumvit and the walk straight to the next Soi which is Soi 23 (Soi Prasanmit). No need to pass Soi Cowboy at all.

Soi 23 is home to the original Baan Khanitha which is one of the best Thai restaurants in town and Le Dalat, a fine upscale Vietnamese restaurant. Bai Thong, a casual but very good lunchtime Thai restaurant is also on Sukhumvit Soi 23. On the corner of Suk 23 and Sukhumvit Road is a not so good but very popular Italian restaurant called Little Italy.

Soi 23 is also home to the oldtime watering holes the Offshore Bar and its adjacent fish and chips shop and the quiet oasis the, Ship Inn. Neither the Offshore or the Ship Inn have prostitutes working there.

I see no indication that the MRT is trying to lure innocent tourists to Soi Cowboy. In fact, knowing that Thai "polite society" is embarassed by Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Pat Pong and the Huay Kwang nightlife areas I would think that just the opposite is true.

Because these nightlife areas bring in so much money and the resultant corruption they are tolerated but they are not promoted. Even Chuwit says he's gotten out of the business. The people who want to go there don't need signs in the MRT telling them discretely where they are, they already know.

Edited by Groongthep

If you reach street level from the MRT exit, the quickest and most obvious way to reach Soi 23 isn't along Soi Cowboy, but along Sukhumvit main road, as the very clear maps in the station indicate.

Dantilley is absolutely correct. The escalators take you to Soi 21 (Asoke), you can then turn left, go to the corner of Sukhumvit and the walk straight to the next Soi which is Soi 23 (Soi Prasanmit). No need to pass Soi Cowboy at all.

Soi 23 is home to the original Baan Khanitha which is one of the best Thai restaurants in town and Le Dalat, a fine upscale Vietnamese restaurant. Bai Thong, a casual but very good lunchtime Thai restaurant is also on Sukhumvit Soi 23. On the corner of Suk 23 and Sukhumvit Road is a not so good but very popular Italian restaurant called Little Italy.

Soi 23 is also home to the oldtime watering holes the Offshore Bar and its adjacent fish and chips shop and the quiet oasis the, Ship Inn. Neither the Offshore or the Ship Inn have prostitutes working there.

I see no indication that the MRT is trying to lure innocent tourists to Soi Cowboy. In fact, knowing that Thai "polite society" is embarassed by Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Pat Pong and the Huay Kwang nightlife areas I would think that just the opposite is true.

Because these nightlife areas bring in so much money and the resultant corruption they are tolerated but they are not promoted. Even Chuwit says he's gotten out of the business. The people who want to go there don't need signs in the MRT telling them discretely where they are, they already know.

The Offshore has no pros, you say! ha ha ha

Maybe it has changed. I haven't been in there in quite a few years now mostly because it was always so quiet I felt like I was walking into someones living room. The Scotsman who owned the place would always be eying me as if I was about to run off without paying the tab. The only women I ever saw in there were either someones wife/gf or the female bar staff who appeared to be rather conservative. If they were working girls they didn't look or act like it nor did they give any indication of it.

Maybe it has changed. I haven't been in there in quite a few years now mostly because it was always so quiet I felt like I was walking into someones living room. The Scotsman who owned the place would always be eying me as if I was about to run off without paying the tab. The only women I ever saw in there were either someones wife/gf or the female bar staff who appeared to be rather conservative. If they were working girls they didn't look or act like it nor did they give any indication of it.

These days, as soon as night falls, one has to wade through the ladies of all shapes, sizes and specialities to even reach Soi Cowboy. Must be a symptom of economic downturn?

Scotsman! Scotsman! Scotsman!

He's a dour-faced English pri*k.

• 2 weeks later...

Scotsman! Scotsman! Scotsman!

He's a dour-faced English pri*k.

55555 I can just imagine you exploding when you read that!

edit for spelling

Edited by NIB