Certificate Of Residence

Hey,

Can someone please help me out. I need to obtain a certificate of residency, so I can register the motorbike I bought on my name and it's also one of the documents asked by the Belgian Embassy in recognizing my daughter to eventually give her the double nationality.

But one step at a time, I thought, let's start with that one document : my certificate of residence.

I think I already asked at tambon, at immigration, name everything you can think of. Everybody gives me a certain explanation, but they all give me totally different one. And one thing is sure ; they can't do it, it will have to be someone else.

And the explanations I got seemed very strange to me, but hey I followed their recommendations .... untill well somebody pointed me in a totally different direction again.

Some of the explanations I got were : your school has to do that, or I cannoit get one because I'm not married.

I live in Hat Yai, am on a noniimmigrant B visa, have a workpermit and am almost living in my house for a year (which I'm hiring, but the contract is on her name)

But in the end, I still wasn't able to get one of those certificates and I'm totally frustrated and

Hey,

Can someone please help me out. I need to obtain a certificate of residency, so I can register the motorbike I bought on my name and it's also one of the documents asked by the Belgian Embassy in recognizing my daughter to eventually give her the double nationality.

But one step at a time, I thought, let's start with that one document : my certificate of residence.

I think I already asked at tambon, at immigration, name everything you can think of. Everybody gives me a certain explanation, but they all give me totally different one. And one thing is sure ; they can't do it, it will have to be someone else.

And the explanations I got seemed very strange to me, but hey I followed their recommendations .... untill well somebody pointed me in a totally different direction again.

Some of the explanations I got were : your school has to do that, or I cannoit get one because I'm not married.

I live in Hat Yai, am on a noniimmigrant B visa, have a workpermit and am almost living in my house for a year (which I'm hiring, but the contract is on her name)

But in the end, I still wasn't able to get one of those certificates and I'm totally frustrated and

For registering a vehicle, you can use a letter from your embassy stating your address in Thailand. A certificate of residence of the type you get from immigration is only for people who have been living and working in Thailand for at least three years, and meet a whole lot of other criteria.

dbrenn you are confusing a PR with a certificate of residence.

A certificate of residensce can be otained at immigration and it should be free.

Link to download application form; http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm18.pdf

I was wondering whether the OP realised that PR is also called a 'certificate of residence' by immigration, and this misunderstanding could be the reason why he got knocked back? If they are giving him the run around, wouldn't it be easier to get the letter from his embassy?

Yes, there is a difference between a Residence Permit and a Certificate of Residence. I know that, but most Thai people I talked with don't seem to know this..... :D

I've been to Immigration before to ask them, of course, but there they said my employer needs to take care of it (don't ask me why, most of the answers I got didn't make any sense)

But I downloaded that application form and will surely try it again tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

But this document says it's an application for a SUBSTITUTE of certificate of residence.

A couple of months ago I downloaded another form I found here on thaivisa (it's not there anymore now) that clearly stated "application form for residence certificate in Thailand", but immigration was especially interested in where I found this document, told me it was an old one, and then gave me a totally different explanation in obtaining my certificate.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Although I must say I haven't got much hope it's gonna work this time :o

The OP states he has a work permit, in which case the certificate of residence is not needed at the vehicle registration department!

You work permit contains both your address of employment along with your home address.

Accepted both for registering vehicles and for applying for a drivers license.

Not sure what paper the embassy needs, but I assume it would be the standard residency paper. Get it at your local immigration office, and bring along some proof of address (rental contract or some such, they probably accept the WP as well).

Yes, there is a difference between a Residence Permit and a Certificate of Residence. I know that, but most Thai people I talked with don't seem to know this..... :D

I've been to Immigration before to ask them, of course, but there they said my employer needs to take care of it (don't ask me why, most of the answers I got didn't make any sense)

But I downloaded that application form and will surely try it again tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

But this document says it's an application for a SUBSTITUTE of certificate of residence.

A couple of months ago I downloaded another form I found here on thaivisa (it's not there anymore now) that clearly stated "application form for residence certificate in Thailand", but immigration was especially interested in where I found this document, told me it was an old one, and then gave me a totally different explanation in obtaining my certificate.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Although I must say I haven't got much hope it's gonna work this time :o

Might be worth calling your embassy. They used to give out letters that equated to substitute certificates of residence for a fee that could be used to register vehicles, but with the minimum of fuss.

A lot of the folks at immigration don't have a complete understanding of the law themselves, and this might be the cause of your problem.

Ed - just saw Monty's comment above about the work permit. Give it a try.

Edited by dbrenn

As Monty said your work permit should be enough. But assume you have tried that.

Even this download from TV says substitute: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/TM18-Certifi...lic-file11.html

I double checked the download page on the immigration website and it also says that.

Just go to immigration and show them the form.

dbrenn you are confusing a PR with a certificate of residence.

A certificate of residensce can be otained at immigration and it should be free.

Link to download application form; http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm18.pdf

I was wondering whether the OP realised that PR is also called a 'certificate of residence' by immigration, and this misunderstanding could be the reason why he got knocked back? If they are giving him the run around, wouldn't it be easier to get the letter from his embassy?

Only if he lived in Bangkok.

Normally Immigration will want you to be doing 90 day address reports and on extension of stay to issue the certificate (and may have other limitations). The old Hua Hin office took it to the extreme of fining those who had not made 24 hour police reports of change of address (which nobody normally does). OP does not say if using 90 day visa entry or on extension of stay. Embassy paper is a normal alternative.

I'm on an extension of stay, which means I have to go to the immigration office every 90 days.

Concerning the registration of my motorbike, they tell me I need a certificate of residence because my motorbike is a second-hand one and currently still registered in another province (Krabi). I don't know if this makes any sense, but it could.

Concerning the registration of my motorbike, they tell me I need a certificate of residence because my motorbike is a second-hand one and currently still registered in another province (Krabi). I don't know if this makes any sense, but it could.

This is regarding a car and not a bike but the requirements should be the same. I purchased a 2nd hand car in Bangkok to use in Chiangmai so obviously the registration was a different province then where it is being used. I only needed my work permit as proof of address. The same when I bought a new motorbike, WP only was needed. Suspect who ever is selling is not up on the requirements.

So I took the form to immigration this morning, hoping this would eventually solve my problem.

The girl who first tried to help gave me a whole explanation why they couldn't do it and what I should do instead. Only, she was talking about the residence permit, of course. I explained her I didn't need that, only a certificate of residence and showed her the apllication form again. Somehow she seemed to understand and she went to ask some kind of superior. I was called over as well, and he understood was I looking for, but after some long thinking he told me they don't do that. Ooops, there we go again....

I kept pushing it, saying I know some "friends" who got this document at immigration, so I didn't understand why this wasn't possible here in Hat Yai. They replied those were other provinces, on which I reminded them it surely was the same country. I tried to stay calm... but I needed some kind of explanation.

Of course, it stayed that way : they could and would not do it.

The solution they gave me was this. My girlfriend is on her mother's house book in Uthai Thani. So they said I could put my name on there as well. I only needed to go to Uthai Thani in person to apply for that at the local tambon. And there they would give me a certificate of residence (which of course wouldn't match with where I'm actually living). Oh, my goodness... I friendly thanked them for their help (although I was absolutely mad inside).

Five minutes later, I brought my girlfriend to the tambon here in Hat Yai, and while she was taking care of her stuff, she also asked them what to do. Their response : but this is really easy, you can get this here, just talk to that man.

So I thought : Now is the time, if i come back tomorrow it might be difficult again....

And after 15 minutes i walked out of there with my certificate of residence... i must say i was really relieved.

That man told me immigration doesn't do this anymore, tambon does this now Ok, fine by me, but doesn't anybody at Immigration know this ?????

And even at tambon not everybody seems to know as I already asked them once a couple of months ago.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Thats great news Jochen

Please include some more details for us - i am also going through hel_l trying to get reliable information which is up to date on how to aquire one.

How much did you pay at the Tambon?

What documents were required?

What visa do you have?

and any other info which may help the rest of us poor souls to get this pathetic paper...

At least you got it.

I have never heard of one being issued by an Amphoe before. It is really immigrations job.

I will keep it in my memory not to send anybody wanting one to immigration in Hat Yai.

I'm here on a retirement visa & I have to go to immigration,my village Amphoe cannot issue me one as I am A Farang...........

Hello all

This topic has been covered but with recent changes and a lot of conflicting information i feel it needs a completely new Post for 2009 with some reliable posts which are more specific to how we can obtain the 'Certificate of Residence' here in Bangkok.

The reasons why we would apply for this document are for 'vehicle ownership' to transfer a vehicles name into our own apparently requires either work permit or a certificate of residence combined with a non imm Visa (not a tourist visa)

or

To apply for a Thai driving Licence - Required documents for foreigner to apply for Thai driving licence , Passport (Non-immigrant visa), Certificate of residence in Thailand issued by the embassy or government agency, Medical certificate showing no harmful disease that can be dangerous for driving, and 2 "3x4 cm." photos (not over 6 months).

so this ellusive little document does seem to matter a great deal except no one really knows how or where to get one anymore...

The latest report is that the immigration dept doesnt provide them anymore and a local Tambon office was used? this seems rather odd and id be suprised if the same applies to Bangkok residents.

There is ofcourse the option of going to your Consulate and applying for similar certificate but this has a cost of 2000 baht whereby applying for the Thai certificate of residence document previously has been free or in the region of 200 baht if appying in pattaya or Jomtien (without reciepts ofcourse)

SO....

Has anyone applied for a Certificate Of Residence in Bangkok in 2009?

Please dont confuse this document with the 'Residence Permit document' which is apparently not the same and should be made clear to any official before appying incase of a mix up.

Dont forget to provide details of what passport or visa you had?

what documents were used

any sources where we can download documents?

What offices in Bangkok or other regions were used?

The costs for such services

Plus any other details people may have about vehicle ownership for foreigners without work permits or applying for driving licences in 2009

Thanks Guys :o

...Has anyone applied for a Certificate Of Residence in Bangkok in 2009?...

I recieved Certificate of Recidens from Hua Hin Immigration in January, and in Phuket in March. I had a touristvisa.

Both places it worked like this

1. Tabien baan original and as many copies as you want certificates. If there is a resident in Tabien Baan (which I havent in any of them), the 1st resident must sign the copies.

2. As many photos as you want certificates.

3. Copy of passport (picturepage, visapage, entrystamp, extensionstamp if any). As many sets as you want certificates.

4. No applicationform or any other document required.

The service is supposed to be free of charge, but in Hua Hin they charge 500 baht each. In Phuket 100 baht even if you need more than one. No reciept.

I have been doing this 2 or 3 times a year for 6 years without any problems.

Hello all

This topic has been covered but with recent changes and a lot of conflicting information i feel it needs a completely new Post for 2009 with some reliable posts which are more specific to how we can obtain the 'Certificate of Residence' here in Bangkok.

I merged your topic with this one there was no need for a new topic.

There have been no changes and no conflicting information.

Have you tried to get one at immigration in Bangkok?

What kind of visa entry or extension of stay do you have?

Amphoes do not normally issue certificates of residence. It may be an arrangement between them and immigration in Hat Yai only.

If you are in Bangkok and can not get one because of your visa entry status then your best option would be your embassy.

I haven't tested this yet, but my girlfriend recently took her motorbike test in Jungwat Khon Kaen. as she was going I asked her to find out what I had to do to prove my address if I applied for a driving licence.

They told her that i could get the form from the police.

I merged your topic with this one there was no need for a new topic...

Thanks Joe...

Yes i am currently trying to apply for one in Bangkok

I have a Non Imm B Buisness Visa (no work permit) 3-6 months left on a yearly visa

I rent a house in Bangkok and so only the rental agreement (no Tabien Baan)

@ retiredusn - Be great if you can elabourate on what visa and documents you used and where your local immigration was?

If anyone has done this in Bangkok recently without going to the over priced consulates for the documents some info would be much appreciated.

I have also read that in Bangkok it may take 2 weeks but in jomtien it takes an hour with 200 baht fees.

Rather confused now!!!

It seems that also in Chiang Mai as well as Hat Yai no more certificate of residence can be obtained from Imm Offices,

see here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...te=%2Bresidence

hehe

So a local police office can apparently provide 'Certificates of residence... '

That would be a lot easier that the immigration office if it applies to Bangkok too

what documents were required to obtain this?

how about in Bangkok?

anyone can confirm this?

Edited by djlest

@ubonJoe

Thanks.... have a look at this post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Proof-Reside...p;mode=threaded

Im not sure if its valid since its 2006 but if it seems more complicated with govt officials needing to check your address, also i may need a TM30 form and sign it along with a copy of the tabian baan and thier ID card.....BEFORE you go to the immigration office

The whole point of my question is to ask if anyone recently has any know as to what i need before going to the immigration office?

Or to get an up to date account of someone who has recently done this in Bangkok and confirm if its still possible? (since in other provinces it is not)