Rangers And Celtic

sanmiguel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8018452.stm

The above link has Ally Mccoist going on about the big 2 jock clubs joining the Premier League.

Me personally i think its a terrible idea and why should these 2 get the free handout at the expense of 2 English clubs.

Also if a club from Northern Ireland or the Rep of Ireland were to join i'd bet they could sell 50,000 tickets per home game, or maybe they should let a team from the east coast of America join that would raise TV revenues.

Anyone think its a good idea having non English clubs in the league?

Not keen on the idea myself. This is something that has been going around for a while. Here's what Smith says about it.

Premier League clubs would block Old Firm move - Smith

By Soccernet staff

April 25, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers boss Walter Smith believes any attempt by the Old Firm to join the Premier League would be blocked by English clubs.

Bolton Wanderers chairman Phil Gartside has proposed a new two-tier Premier League that would include Rangers and Celtic.

But Smith doubts whether Gartside could gain enough support for his plan because other teams would feel threatened by the Glasgow giants.

He said in the Daily Express: ''It has been a big talking point but, personally, I'm not sure the English clubs would want Rangers and Celtic there.

''There is a realisation we have two huge clubs and if we went into the Premier League, with the finance there, we would be among some of the top clubs.

''I don't think that would please a huge number of clubs in the Premier League or English Championship, which is where we would have to start.

''So I'm not sure that is something that would come off. It would be fantastic for both clubs if it was to happen, but I just don't think the English clubs would allow it to.''

Gartside's proposal is the latest in a long line of schemes which have raised the possibility of Celtic and Rangers quitting the Scottish Premier League.

Blackburn Roves boss Sam Allardyce claims the proposals put forward by the Bolton chairman would be bad for the game.

Allardyce, who worked under Gartside at Bolton until falling out with the Wanderers chairman, said: ''From what I have heard I'm not in favour of it. From a personal point of view I believe we should keep all football as active and positive as we possibly can.

''We have to consider what might happen to Scottish football if Celtic and Rangers came in (to the Premier League). I'm a football man and I'm in favour of keeping football going in as many places as it can.

''The opportunity to get in (to the Premier League) would be so limited that some owners of clubs might consider it to be too much of a risk to keep the clubs going.''

Well, if they do, they'll get regulary demolished & both will have to strentghen massively if they are to compete even with the lies of the Mid/Lower Prem Teams..

Their fitness levels would also be a telling factor..

The above link has Ally Mccoist going on about the big 2 jock clubs joining the Premier League.

Me personally i think its a terrible idea and why should these 2 get the free handout at the expense of 2 English clubs.

Also if a club from Northern Ireland or the Rep of Ireland were to join i'd bet they could sell 50,000 tickets per home game, or maybe they should let a team from the east coast of America join that would raise TV revenues.

cardiff, swansea, wrexham!!! :o

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are hardly at the level of Celtic and Rangers. I don't think it's a good idea as it would realistically kill the Scottish League. And Wales doesn't have a top league like Scotland does so it hardly compares.

Before they changed their name and moved to Milton Keynes Wimbledon wanted to move to Ireland to play their home games. As you say anybody bringing premiership quality football to Ireland would garrantee sellout crowds but neither the FA or the Premier League would allow it so I can't see them allowing Celtic and Rangers to play in the Premiership.

Well, if they do, they'll get regulary demolished & both will have to strentghen massively if they are to compete even with the lies of the Mid/Lower Prem Teams..

Their fitness levels would also be a telling factor..

If Celtic and Rangers could get they're hands on the same TV money that the EPl clubs have they would be able to attract better quality of players that would improve their squads. They would struggle at first but within a couple of seasons they would both be up in the top 6 of the Premiership.

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are hardly at the level of Celtic and Rangers. I don't think it's a good idea as it would realistically kill the Scottish League. And Wales doesn't have :o:D:D:D a top league like Scotland !!!!! :D:wai::P :jerk: does so it hardly compares.

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are hardly at the level of Celtic and Rangers. I don't think it's a good idea as it would realistically kill the Scottish League. And Wales doesn't have a top league like Scotland does so it hardly compares.

Yet we see teams like Rhyl, Carmarthen. Llanelli, Bangor and TNS appearing in Europe !

Although i don't really think it's right, I wouldn't be too opposed to it, as long as they started in the 2nd Division and had to work their way through the leagues. If they are as good as they think they are, they should be in the Prem in 3 years. :o

• 3 weeks later...
What they should do is merge both league cups, to spice them up a bit as both have the same sponsor.

Thing is after the first season it'd probably get stopped due to crowd violence.

Are you worried that the violence would be on them or from them?

In practice I think both would seriously struggle to adjust to the English Premier, and with the loss of the virtually automatic entry to Europe it could be a problematic change, though in time I think both would be worthy of their places. But with 3 relegation slots out of 20, currently half the league spend most of the season sweating it out, so perhaps we could then do with reverting to 22 clubs.

Merging the league cups does seem worth investigating though.