Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Salt Crystal Deodorants

mnodi

Ok, can anyone help? At the Sunday market there used to be a stall selling organic goods – honey soap etc. It was next to the Three Kings Monument (as you look at it the soy to the left – they sell a lot of Lanna gear down there on Sundays). Anyway, this woman sold salt crystal deodorants called 'Deo-stone 93' at 35B a pop! Excellent products – they don't stop you sweating but neutralise any sweat/odor and are kind to skin and don't mark clothes.

So… it's been hot and I ran out so went to re-stock but she's disappeared and not been there for the last 3 weeks. Panic!

Does anyone else know of her? If you do, do you know where she's gone or if she has a shop anywhere? If not, does anyone know where I can get these in Chiang Mai?

Help.

mnodi, ive seen salt crystal deodrant in Tops Supermarket (at least the one in KSK). Just go to the regular deodorant section. Also, for herbal things, there is a stall area in the lower floor too (easiest way to find it is go to the back entrance of KSK, then walk through the household items/cups/nik naks etc stall. Will take you straight through into the herbal stall area).

Ok, can anyone help? At the Sunday market there used to be a stall selling organic goods – honey soap etc. It was next to the Three Kings Monument (as you look at it the soy to the left – they sell a lot of Lanna gear down there on Sundays). Anyway, this woman sold salt crystal deodorants called 'Deo-stone 93' at 35B a pop! Excellent products – they don't stop you sweating but neutralise any sweat/odor and are kind to skin and don't mark clothes.

So… it's been hot and I ran out so went to re-stock but she's disappeared and not been there for the last 3 weeks. Panic!

Does anyone else know of her? If you do, do you know where she's gone or if she has a shop anywhere? If not, does anyone know where I can get these in Chiang Mai?

Help.

Mnodi,

dont fret...don't sweat !

almost all markets will sell you the product in it's pure, chuncky, crystaline form - without giving it any fancy name or packaging and cheap as chips !

Try markets like those at Chiang Mai Gate or Wororot.

Don't remember the Thai name of the product but if you mime the action with fist-like sizes, you will be directed to the right store/s. If the vendors are particularly helpful, they will mime plenty of other uses, some of which you might never have guessed !

Good luck.

Cheers.

My wife has picked them up next to the cashier at the book center just south of the moat end of Loi Kroh Road. Also, some of the Pharmaway pharmacies have them.

And I totally agree with your assessment - no goo, no mess, they don't stain clothes, are cheap and work like a charm.

Just before Nong Hoi market there is a hardware/odds & sods store that sells this stuff for pennies but, as SwaziBid wrote, you will find it in many of the markets.

Coming from the Holiday Inn the market will be on your left, immediately before the market there is a street running down the back of the market, on the main road on the corner of this street before the market is the aforementioned shop.

JxP

Unless I'm mistaken, that salt crystal is called 'alum' (it's chemical name.) You can find it in pharmacies, herbal shops, most large markets selling health and beauty goods, etc.

Yes, it is potassium alum, also known as potassium aluminum sulfate. But unlike the aluminum salts used in antiperspirants, alum doesn’t stop you from sweating, it only helps control the growth of bacteria that makes your perspiration a bit odoriferous.

I kind of like the ones that have other gentle ingredients like Aloe or soft fragrances such as frangipani or canine excrement, as many of my local friends have kindly noted... :o