Tin Tin

post-9505-1240927272_thumb.jpg

"Tin Tin" wondered into our beach (Bantai KPG) about two months ago, a quiet but playful, healthy 12-16 month old pup.

This gentle but strong pup would refuse to engage in any challenge with the local dogs, but would stand his ground without growling or barking.

It's as if he knew that attracting the wrong kind of attention could lead to the kind of trouble that means moving on...

post-9505-1240927305_thumb.jpg

Tin Tin made friends with the local dogs in no time, and you'd often find him chasing them and being chased on the beach and sea - he is an excellent swimmer.

TT knows "sit", is lead-trained, and comes running when he hears the usual dog-call whistle.

My guess is that he previously had a falang owner, as he also seems very friendly and affectionate towards tourists.

post-9505-1240927339_thumb.jpg

I'd love to keep this handsome pup, but being already "overcrowded" with five dogs, and surrounded by neighbours would wouldn't appreciate another addition to the "family", it left me with little choice but to take him away.

So, I took him on the bike to Haad Yao, about 12 Km and 200 dog territories away.

It was heartbreaking to leave him behind, and see him running after the bike with all his might...

He was back at our beach in just three days.

The next morning, after a good feed and a new collar, I took him even further away, beyond Chaloklum.

He was back that evening, looking a little tired from his epic trip but as happy and playful as ever.

post-9505-1240927354_thumb.jpg

Tin Tin is looking for a good home.

This super-intelligent and affectionate pup will make an unforgettable pet for a caring owner.

If anyone would like to give him a permanent home, either here in KPG or Samui, please PM me.

jose '-)

Unfortunately Tin Tin's adoption of our beach is out of the question - this area has some distinctly dog-unfriendly neighbours.

One falang has already attempted to poison our dogs with baited pork, and another (Thai) is threatening to do so.

Tin Tin's stay could well be the catalyst for a disaster. Tin Tin's stay here seriously threatens all local dogs' lives, not just ours.

The photos above don't do this pup any justice - he is surely the best-looking and best-mannered dog I've come across in a loong time, and that's saying a lot for someone heavily biased towards his own dogs! :o

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Patklang, PoorSucker.

BTW, although this is the kind of fine dog one may consider breeding, I'm offering to pay for his spaying if required for a good home.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Patklang, PoorSucker.

BTW, although this is the kind of fine dog one may consider breeding, I'm offering to pay for his spaying if required for a good home.

Jose, I hope that you find a home for him. I already have 4dogs plus 3 regular visitors so we are over-dogged at the moment.

Perhaps the Dog Rescue over here on Samui might take him if it is becoming a life or death situation. Hoping that there is someone out there who

will take him on. Good luck!

Gator

Thanks, Gator - it's a good feeling to hear from caring souls, both on this thread and privately.

Everyday Tin Tin digs a shallow hole on the beach in which he spends his whole day snoozing, generally trying to stay out of the hot sun and remain unnoticed by unfriendly neighbours.

In the evenings I give him some food so that he doesn't have to go around digging up garbage, and also so that he remains in good shape for any potential owner.

Afterwards I take him along the back roads towards Thongsala and try to leave him in a quiet spot. He is always back in the morning, now and then with a new bite on his hindquarters to show for his dog territory-crossing journey.

This pup wants to be part of a home so desperately - originally he must have come from a really good home.

It's sad to see any displaced dog, but for this guy it is specially so.

Thanks, Gator - it's a good feeling to hear from caring souls, both on this thread and privately.

Everyday Tin Tin digs a shallow hole on the beach in which he spends his whole day snoozing, generally trying to stay out of the hot sun and remain unnoticed by unfriendly neighbours.

In the evenings I give him some food so that he doesn't have to go around digging up garbage, and also so that he remains in good shape for any potential owner.

Afterwards I take him along the back roads towards Thongsala and try to leave him in a quiet spot. He is always back in the morning, now and then with a new bite on his hindquarters to show for his dog territory-crossing journey.

This pup wants to be part of a home so desperately - originally he must have come from a really good home.

It's sad to see any displaced dog, but for this guy it is specially so.

sent this on to a long time resident friend in chaloklam, one can hope.

sent this on to a long time resident friend in chaloklam, one can hope.

Much appreciated, TS.

Tin Tin is back in Haad Tien beach tonite - hopefully it will take him a while to find his way back, as we are now getting all kinds of serious threats from the Thai neighbour with six poodles - she is terrified (in a hysterical kind of way) that Tin Tin (or any of our dogs) will make a meal of her tiny pets.

Edited by Jose

You say that hopefully it will take he a while to come back?

Everything you have done has brought him back to you - I think he loves you and your family. And what is another dog to add to the already big doggie family you have? You fed and loved him so he (in his little doggy brain) looks upon you as his daddy and family.

And i would say f off to the poodle owner. Unless she has proof that Tin Tin has been aggressive there is no way that he cannot stay.

Tin Tin is back in Haad Tien beach tonite

Well, it only took him 36hrs to come back from 15Km away - the only difference is that he did it on three legs this time, as he now has a cut (coral?) to one of his hind paw pads.

Patsycat, I would normally agree with you, but the reality here on the ground is quite different.

We are practically surrounded by dog-phobic people. These are the kind that normally wouldn't hesitate to kill dogs for little reason other than their presence on the beach spoils their view.

These are the kind of people that have generally dug themselves into a hole, and are constantly looking for an external excuse to justify their poor lot - so what better excuse than to blame their irritation on some poor defenseless animal!

Dogs don't ask for much, just a place to sleep, a little food, some love, a feeling of belonging. Unlike another species, dogs are not on a rampant path to destroy the earth, sea and air around them.

Dogs are not the problem in this world - to the contrary, they help keep us in touch with nature and help keep our minds and hearts balanced in an insane world.

Tin Tin is still desperately looking for his home.

It doesn't have to be much - just a secure place to sleep, some food once a day, and a pat now and then. If anyone here knows someone that can help out, please contact me asap.

I'll also add a month's food to my offer of a free Vet checkup and spading. Please help if you can.

Many thanks for your kind offer to adopt Tin Tin, Deeptidil. I think that you will be very pleased with this amazing youngster.

We are on the beach in Bantai, Koh Pha-Ngan - I've PM'd you with our details, but if it's easier for you I can also bring Tin Tin over to your place.

Many thanks again to everyone - I'll keep every kind soul here posted on the outcome of this story.

jose

I will adopt Tin Tin.

Although I've yet to be contacted by Deeptidil, this post strongly suggests to me that it may not work out for Tin Tin with someone on a 15-day tourist visa.

Tin Tin is still on the beach outside, hoping to hear from any caring local resident (KPG or Samui) who could offer him a permanent humble home.

Any help whatsoever would be most appreciated.

If your limit is 4 dogs and Tin-tin is #5 but he's a great dog and no matter how far away you take him he makes his way back home. Maybe he has earned a spot in the Top 4. Have you considered taking one of your other dogs to the other side of the island and leaving them?

If your limit is 4 dogs and Tin-tin is #5 but he's a great dog and no matter how far away you take him he makes his way back home. Maybe he has earned a spot in the Top 4. Have you considered taking one of your other dogs to the other side of the island and leaving them?

We have five dogs (all neutered), which is about two dogs too many for the local conditions.

I have tried in the past to send some of them on an "extended holiday", but it's too heartbreaking to see them pining for home to the point they stop eating. :)

I will adopt Tin Tin.

Although I've yet to be contacted by Deeptidil, this post strongly suggests to me that it may not work out for Tin Tin with someone on a 15-day tourist visa.

Tin Tin is still on the beach outside, hoping to hear from any caring local resident (KPG or Samui) who could offer him a permanent humble home.

Any help whatsoever would be most appreciated.

I really hope that deeptidil is serious. Perhaps he would care to comment. This is not an issue for frivolous offers.

Hope it works out for you and Tin Tin.

Hope it works out for you and Tin Tin.

Thanks Gator.

It's touching to receive personal messages of support and goodwill for Tin Tin, specially from kind souls such as Elfe who is constantly struggling to save so many pups (90+!).

Elfe's World

Tonite Tin Tin begun whimpering as we begun walking to the bike - he knew that I was taking him far away again.

He is a strong and healthy dog, and could easily make it impossible for me to take him on the bike. But he just looks at me with those big eyes and resigns himself to let me take over his destiny. He is such a well-behaved dog...

Anyway, I didn't take him far tonight on account of his cut rear paw pad - it would be too cruel to let him ran from afar on three legs at the moment. When we got there (a quiet beach) I gave him a nice treat - a full BBQ chicken and some vitamins to help him along. But then when it was time to leave, he knew. Even if you've never seen a sad face on a normally happy dog before, there is no way you'd miss this one - the saddest big round eyes, on the saddest face imaginable. :)

Tin Tin may not be the kind of cute little pup that children and some Thais want for a cuddly pet, but his kind nature, his survival instinct against all odds and willingness to overcome enormous difficulties, all this can be an inspiration to the rest of us whenever we face the hurdles of life.

Tin Tin, the most-traveled dog in Koh Pha-Ngan, is tonight still looking for his home.

post-9505-1241186655_thumb.jpg

<Sigh...>

Another homeless day in paradise...

post-9505-1241331214_thumb.jpg

He calls out to the man on the street

Sir, can you help me?

Its cold and I've nowhere to sleep,

Is there somewhere you can take me?

post-9505-1241331341_thumb.jpg

You can tell from the lines on his face

You can see that he's been there

Probably been moved on from every place

'cos he didnt fit in there...

post-9505-1241331277_thumb.jpg

Oh think twice, its another day for

You and me in paradise...

So,

another day ends for Tin Tin in paradise...

post-9505-1241349272_thumb.jpg

post-9505-1241349285_thumb.jpg

He calls out to the man on the beach

One can see he's been crying

He's got cuts on the sole of his feet

Can't run but he's trying...

post-9505-1241349304_thumb.jpg

Oh think twice, its just another day for you,

You and me in paradise.

Thanks for your kind and caring concern, Gator.

Womble has kindly offered to feed Tin Tin (along with another six well-fed stray dogs) on his beach where he has a bar, so I plan to bring him over on the boat early next week.

I'm really hoping this works out well, because so far the only other real alternative would be to burden Elfe with an addition to her 90+ dogs under her care.

jose '-)

Thanks for your kind and caring concern, Gator.

Womble has kindly offered to feed Tin Tin (along with another six well-fed stray dogs) on his beach where he has a bar, so I plan to bring him over on the boat early next week.

I'm really hoping this works out well, because so far the only other real alternative would be to burden Elfe with an addition to her 90+ dogs under her care.

jose '-)

Jose, I take my hat off to you. What a diamond of a guy!

Good on you and I hope Tin Tin get the master he deserves.

Thanks, SmallPrawn - very kind of you. :)

The real diamond here is Tin Tin, and the real star is Elfe.

Our five resident dogs take a lot of our time/energy/resources, so I can't even begin imagine how Elfe manages to take care of the 90+ dogs (and cats). It takes a minimum of 800 Baht a month to feed an average 20kg+ dog, and that doesn't include the necessary vet fees. That's 800 Baht x12 months x 90 dogs = close to 1 million Baht a year!

I am sure that donations would be most welcome by Elfe at Elfe's World in Samui.