Sav Nav

7robbie7

i live in Thailand but i am in the uk now on holiday and ive been looking at sat navs and they are quite cheap now but does anyone know if they can be loaded with Thai software which would show me the roads in Thailand but in english

or could i buy this in Thailand which would be easier im sure

here they are around £100

thanks

Edited by 7robbie7

i live in Thailand but i am in the uk now on holiday and ive been looking at sat navs and they are quite cheap now but does anyone know if they can be loaded with Thai software which would show me the roads in Thailand but in english

or could i buy this in Thailand which would be easier im sure

here they are around £100

thanks

Buy a Garmin Nuvi and order the map chip online for around Us$75 and its good for Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore/Macau/hong KOng.works great.Cheers :o

or you CAN get the map free but NO updates. just ask around!

[/quote

I have the combination described by Trawler. It works okay, though with some glitches, and came in at less than £130GBP complete with map. What I am not quite sure about is whether the current SE Asia map (that I have) is as good as the slightly older Garmin Thailand map. Both would work with the Nuvi, but some say the multi-country version has less detail for Thailand.

Sat Navs are cheaper now. I purchased a Tom Tom a few years ago. It was £250 then on special offer.

Ask at the Shop as regards Thailand maps. They should be able to advise you. You could even go to the Sat Nav manufacturer web sites and have a look around yourself, in order to determine the best for your personal preferences, prior to buying one. I recently noticed they are cheaper to buy from a shop than buying online.

If you purchase a Tom Tom, then you are able to go to their site and download updates etc.

Edited by TEFLMike

^^^Trawler, have you done this because i looked into doing the same thing but the page on the Garmin website for the Thailand chip would never work, i also called a few dealers and was told that they couldn't get it either!?

I got one from Pantip plaza last september, i can't remember what make or model at the moment but i'll find out tomorrow and put the details up here.