How Many Of You....

doppa

left the likes of phuket, pattaya, bangkok etc, and made home in chiangmai.

for me the reasons i want to leave phuket.

1] 7 yrs of living here and i'm still made to feel like a tourist[ which may very well not change anywhere in thailand, who knows.]

2] the basic infraststructure ie reliable water/ electric supply is shit. in patong living on a hill, if water levels drop in the resovoir, the water authorities just turn the pressure down, lie through there back teeth , saying water pipe broken [ all to save face] so the water wont go up the hill, so were buying trucks of lake water for 1000b a truck.with the explosion of building in phuket, which by the way is still going on, govt. is always playing catch up with these basic facilities, and in my opinion will never catch up.its an island for fuc_ks sake, build a dozen desalination plants and the water problem is resolved forever...theyve built one, and no one is really sure if its working.

3] costs, everything across the board is increasing, but service isn't improving.its so frustrating having to deal with thais, a printer i use here , ran out of ink, and eventually had to go to bangkok to supply him, printer..inks...= work, no ink = no work...i mean come on.

4] lack of international schools, truly theres only one here, and from what some people say , the kids are coming home with a real attitude, rather than a comprehensive schooling.

5] phuket itself is strewn with litter, the beaches are a disgrace, but it appears that there is no function to make sure they are kept clean, afterall people go to phuket for the sun , sea, and the other thing that begins with 's', which has escaped my mind.

tourists can go to lots of places in the world where beaces and oceans are spotless, it wont be long before that happens.

6] the attraction of phuket , unfortunately for phuket, attracts all the ' wrong ' types, not only from thailand but from europe , this has noticeably incresed over the years iv'e been hear, it seems as if the world story of phuket is, that the steets are littered with gold, similiar to dickensian days of the uk, where folk just have t go to london for fame and fortune, and unfortunately that's what phuket is all about, money, with a capital 'm', and if your a white man, your rich, having to send my wife into a establishment to get a thai price, is not what i'ts all about.

even the poxy zoo down here charges thais, 80b entry, and foreigners 400b, fortunately when i produce my thai driving liscence i get the thai price.

7] phuket could have one of the most stunning holiday resorts in the world, but with local govt. changing every 4 yrs or so, the incoming see it as their turn to make their bit, which of coure is going to be the death knell for this beautiful island.

8] and finally, although i'm sure there'll be other things ive forgotten, iv'e never really understood what 'island fever ' was, but i do now, if you dont get off this island every 4/5 months it sends you nuts.maybe i"ll never find any part of se asia, let alone thailand to be of my liking, but i do like the 'real' thais, whose warmth and generosity are second to none.

i'm not naive to think that chiangmai wont have similiar negatives, but the times i've been there , they dont seem to be as 'in ye face' as phuket. time will tell i guess, we'll give it a year, and take it from there.

my youngun is going to prem school [ albeit on a part scholarship i may add, due to his golfing talent, at the age of 4] which according to the general census, is one of the best schools in se asia.

ok guys thats it, agree/ diagree to your hearts content, one day i will find shangrila, is it near chaingrai?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been to Chiang Mai? Especially around New Years?

Out of the frying pan fan, I fear.

nope, but your only talking 5 days of the year, what about the other 360, was hoping for a bit more broad a reply to be honest.

left the likes of phuket, pattaya, bangkok etc, and made home in chiangmai.

for me the reasons i want to leave phuket.

1] 7 yrs of living here and i'm still made to feel like a tourist[ which may very well not change anywhere in thailand, who knows.]

2] the basic infraststructure ie reliable water/ electric supply is shit. in patong living on a hill, if water levels drop in the resovoir, the water authorities just turn the pressure down, lie through there back teeth , saying water pipe broken [ all to save face] so the water wont go up the hill, so were buying trucks of lake water for 1000b a truck.with the explosion of building in phuket, which by the way is still going on, govt. is always playing catch up with these basic facilities, and in my opinion will never catch up.its an island for fuc_ks sake, build a dozen desalination plants and the water problem is resolved forever...theyve built one, and no one is really sure if its working.

3] costs, everything across the board is increasing, but service isn't improving.its so frustrating having to deal with thais, a printer i use here , ran out of ink, and eventually had to go to bangkok to supply him, printer..inks...= work, no ink = no work...i mean come on.

4] lack of international schools, truly theres only one here, and from what some people say , the kids are coming home with a real attitude, rather than a comprehensive schooling.

5] phuket itself is strewn with litter, the beaches are a disgrace, but it appears that there is no function to make sure they are kept clean, afterall people go to phuket for the sun , sea, and the other thing that begins with 's', which has escaped my mind.

tourists can go to lots of places in the world where beaces and oceans are spotless, it wont be long before that happens.

6] the attraction of phuket , unfortunately for phuket, attracts all the ' wrong ' types, not only from thailand but from europe , this has noticeably incresed over the years iv'e been hear, it seems as if the world story of phuket is, that the steets are littered with gold, similiar to dickensian days of the uk, where folk just have t go to london for fame and fortune, and unfortunately that's what phuket is all about, money, with a capital 'm', and if your a white man, your rich, having to send my wife into a establishment to get a thai price, is not what i'ts all about.

even the poxy zoo down here charges thais, 80b entry, and foreigners 400b, fortunately when i produce my thai driving liscence i get the thai price.

7] phuket could have one of the most stunning holiday resorts in the world, but with local govt. changing every 4 yrs or so, the incoming see it as their turn to make their bit, which of coure is going to be the death knell for this beautiful island.

8] and finally, although i'm sure there'll be other things ive forgotten, iv'e never really understood what 'island fever ' was, but i do now, if you dont get off this island every 4/5 months it sends you nuts.maybe i"ll never find any part of se asia, let alone thailand to be of my liking, but i do like the 'real' thais, whose warmth and generosity are second to none.

i'm not naive to think that chiangmai wont have similiar negatives, but the times i've been there , they dont seem to be as 'in ye face' as phuket. time will tell i guess, we'll give it a year, and take it from there.

my youngun is going to prem school [ albeit on a part scholarship i may add, due to his golfing talent, at the age of 4] which according to the general census, is one of the best schools in se asia.

ok guys thats it, agree/ diagree to your hearts content, one day i will find shangrila, is it near chaingrai?

I left Samui to move to Chiang Mai about 5weeks ago for very similar reasons, at least on Phuket you can drive off the island which you cannot do on Samui.

When people in the Uk ask me what are the difference's, the easiest description that i can come up with is that Chiang Mai seems ''normal'' (problay meaning more like the UK) perhaps in time i will change my mine, for that we will wait and see.

Another thing that people find amusing when comparing the two is when i tell them that people here wear shoes and socks, mind you i'm not sure if thats a good or a bad thing.

Edited by alfieconn

Most of your items (complaints) are about Thailand..

Chiang Mai is in Thailand

that maybe true, but the last comment was, that ' the real thai people etc were second to none', now i'm hoping that the chiangmai people, are more like the real thai, if so, i'll manage, if not ill be outta here within 12 months, would you care to describe the thais in general, in chiangmai, no doubt you'll have something to compare them with.

i think Doppa knows where Chiang Mai is !

I make it that at least 5 points out of the 8 are about living on a island so how do you make it to be ''most of your items are about Thailand'' ??? besides unless you have lived on a island for some time you wouldn't have a clue to what it is like.

I'm probably not a reliable guide because i've lived in thailand for nearly 20 years and barely ever seem to have any complaint worth the hot air behind it.

But... i moved to chiang mai seven years ago after a decade in bangkok. I've also been to coming on for half the provinces. For living, chiang mai beats the lot, and for me thailand as a country beats anything i've seen elsewhere.

For a start the climate is different to the middle and south of thailand, where you get a winter worthy of the name. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains, so no boring flat land. The town itself is great and has myriad things to do, see, partake in. There are any number of clubs from chess to cycling, writers to drinkers. The atmosphere for me is best described as bohemian, vibrant, creative, positive. The thais are nothing like the ones i see in phuket, samui, pattaya, bangkok, or any other tourist 'ghettos'. I've met plenty of thais living here who come from other provinces; you can meet a real international set of farangs. One of the best things i can say about the place is that i wish i didn't work, then i'd have enough time to properly appreciate the place.

I call it the adventure playground surrounded by a natural wonderland. Within one hour, two hours, three hours you can be in so many different provincial non-tourist places for weekends away.

It's cheap as chips compared to phuket.

But you were asking about the people. In general they're fantastic except when they get in cars. But that's probably kingdomwide. I'll let them off that one, coz for me chiang mai must rank as one of the finest places to park one's arse and live. The only drawback is lack of beach, but hey, you can't have everything! Just about every time i have cause to communicate with thais (eg buying things, eating out) in chiang mai i find it a most pleasant experience. The smiles are well evident in the corner of the kingdom.

The infrastructure is bloody good too, with loads of schools, hospitals, shops, universities, excellent road network.

I could go on and on, but like i said, maybe i'm not that reliable!

Edited by femi fan

i think Doppa knows where Chiang Mai is !

I make it that at least 5 points out of the 8 are about living on a island so how do you make it to be ''most of your items are about Thailand'' ??? besides unless you have lived on a island for some time you wouldn't have a clue to what it is like.

I know what Phuket is like because I have lived there too. Plus, I have been living here for 25 years.

Just because it is about Phuket doesn't mean it is NOT about Thailand too. Maybe you need a clue....

Edited by Ajarn

well if you've lived in phuket, and thailand for 25 yrs, your the ideal person to describe what the people of chiangmai are like, a town , a city are as only as good as its people, i'll lay a little bet with you, that when you lived in phuket , patong was a tiny fishing village, with about 3 bars.

if im wrong i owe you a beer.

I'm probably not a reliable guide because i've lived in thailand for nearly 20 years and barely ever seem to have any complaint worth the hot air behind it.

But... i moved to chiang mai seven years ago after a decade in bangkok. I've also been to coming on for half the provinces. For living, chiang mai beats the lot, and for me thailand as a country beats anything i've seen elsewhere.

For a start the climate is different to the middle and south of thailand, where you get a winter worthy of the name. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains, so no boring flat land. The town itself is great and has myriad things to do, see, partake in. There are any number of clubs from chess to cycling, writers to drinkers. The atmosphere for me is best described as bohemian, vibrant, creative, positive. The thais are nothing like the ones i see in phuket, samui, pattaya, bangkok, or any other tourist 'ghettos'. I've met plenty of thais living here who come from other provinces; you can meet a real international set of farangs. One of the best things i can say about the place is that i wish i didn't work, then i'd have enough time to properly appreciate the place.

I call it the adventure playground surrounded by a natural wonderland. Within one hour, two hours, three hours you can be in so many different provincial non-tourist places for weekends away.

It's cheap as chips compared to phuket.

But you were asking about the people. In general they're fantastic except when they get in cars. But that's probably kingdomwide. I'll let them off that one, coz for me chiang mai must rank as one of the finest places to park one's arse and live. The only drawback is lack of beach, but hey, you can't have everything! Just about every time i have cause to communicate with thais (eg buying things, eating out) in chiang mai i find it a most pleasant experience. The smiles are well evident in the corner of the kingdom.

The infrastructure is bloody good too, with loads of schools, hospitals, shops, universities, excellent road network.

I could go on and on, but like i said, maybe i'm not that reliable!

[/quote

oh stop it your just getting me excited now!

well if you've lived in phuket, and thailand for 25 yrs, your the ideal person to describe what the people of chiangmai are like, a town , a city are as only as good as its people, i'll lay a little bet with you, that when you lived in phuket , patong was a tiny fishing village, with about 3 bars.

Sorry, you are wrong, and I don't drink

How many of you...... post the topic in the Subject Line ? How many of you post even better details in the sub-Header ?

I do!

But other than making me read your complaints, all valid, about Phuket, like Ajarn suggests, you will find this is Thailand, and you get a mix of all sorts, many of them oddballs, wherever you go. However many a good folk to be found here and a slower, less flashy pace of life than those other places seemingly overrun by tourists and expats with money creating little Farang nooks for themselves. Some of that exists here, but overall it's a slow town with nicer, simpler people (Farang n Thai included).

Sorry, you are wrong, and I don't drink

dont say much do ye, well im all ears, cmon, let me into that world you live in, go on, you know you want to. :)

oh stop it your just getting me excited now!

I barely scratched the surface! After seven years here, boredom as a concept stretches further and further away over distant yonder horizons! Have you heard of citylife magazine here? There are quite a number of magazines, but this one is so good that i even stop and peruse the adverts. You can look at it online, that will give you a good clue about what's in this town.

I recall going on one of my rare visits to phuket just after the tsunami. And even then with all the discounts they were offering i thought price-wise i was back in europe almost. Money has a horrible way of corrupting people's humanity. That is another guide to what you can expect from chiang mai people, because i don't think anyone comes to live here to become rich.

Incidentally, another anecdote that may uncover more of the character of chiang mai folk: when we went to phuket that time i was with my new girlfriend and my mate's new wife, both girls best friends. Fiercely lanna folk they were when down phuket way, using northern language a lot to make known their identity. Chiang mai first, thailand second. Like bavaria in germany, and perhaps scotland in britain. And if you're from britain, what happens with the people the further north you go...? Well, it seems to be the same in thailand!

I already have my eye on a spot in the local cemetary by a golf course here, and i ain't planning on going underground for a good 40 years yet...

I know what Phuket is like because I have lived there too. Plus, I have been living here for 25 years.

Just because it is about Phuket doesn't mean it is NOT about Thailand too. Maybe you need a clue....

And maybe you need to just relax or ask for a change of meds.

Nobody doubts your vast expertise but you do come across rather bullyish in your approach, sometimes even to newbies with fairly innocent posts or questions.

How many of you...... post the topic in the Subject Line ? How many of you post even better details in the sub-Header ?

I do!

But other than making me read your complaints, all valid, about Phuket, like Ajarn suggests, you will find this is Thailand, and you get a mix of all sorts, many of them oddballs, wherever you go. However many a good folk to be found here and a slower, less flashy pace of life than those other places seemingly overrun by tourists and expats with money creating little Farang nooks for themselves. Some of that exists here, but overall it's a slow town with nicer, simpler people (Farang n Thai included).

thanks for that, as always good and bad everywhere, as long as the good outweigh the bad, and the good arent as bad as the bad, the good should be good enough to get to know.

and you right i dont fill the second line as well, wonder why, reckon cus no one knows what to use it for, is that good or bad, here we go again

I do!

thanks for that, as always good and bad everywhere, as long as the good outweigh the bad, and the good arent as bad as the bad, the good should be good enough to get to know.

and you right i dont fill the second line as well, wonder why, reckon cus no one knows what to use it for, is that good or bad, here we go again

The people are nicer here, particularly but not exclusively if they are lanna. Still need to watch out for the usual Thai charactersistics but nowhere near as bad as further south. Integrating and speaking some Thai helps but avoid the expat clubs that are profit oriented. They are businesses not clubs. Useful for some initial information but check everything thoroughly. it is never what it seems.

The more you live within a real Thai community the more you will like it.

Have you been to Chiang Mai? Especially around New Years?

Out of the frying pan fan, I fear.

:)

nope, but your only talking 5 days of the year, what about the other 360, was hoping for a bit more broad a reply to be honest.

Some people have difficulty stringing more than five words together. I don't think that he has spent too much time in Chiang Mai.

There is everything you could want in a city in Chiang Mai (well for a 3rd world country anyway)

My last visit to Phuket last year (my #6) left me cold. If I never ever go to Phuket again it will be too soon.

Edited by john b good

Wow! There are some unfriendly and inappropriate [yet predictable?] responses to a reasonable and friendly OP. Not very clever retorts, either. (Jeez ... if you're going to trash the topic, at least be entertaining)

Ironically, it is Chiang Mai's friendliness that attracts some people. In Phuket, people are not expected to be friendly (jung-leoi.)

Doppa, give CM a try, you may like it.

Utilities are fairly reliable.

Pretty good choices for schools.

Lower overall cost of living.

Fewer baby-killer ghosts per sq. km. (paying attention?)

Good weather, but no sea breezes.

Best of all the khon meuang, locals, Tai Noi, Northerners, (whatever you want to call them) are good, decent folk.

Good luck.

NG

I origonally did a semester abroad in Cm and then came back to live and teach and did my TEFL in Phuket. I thought about staying there, but one huge thig for me was that (maybe perceived) CM had more culture, it's tourism was mostly about temples or hilltribe hikes rather than beaches and bars. Also I didn't feel like a Tourist in CM and I didn't get gouged with double pricing as much. The North just has a relaxed attitude as well.

I brought my wife to visit Krabi and Phuket and she hated Phuket, since she is Thai/Chinese most Thai people don't believe she is Thai and she was sick of how touristy it was and how she was treated.