Koey Teow Anyone Enjoy Them?

Maccheroncini

Love it.

In fact I had it for lunch today. The version without noodles that is; (kao-lao) It's much lower carb that way. :)

I think the reason that you don't see too many Westerners there is also because there are so many noodle shops! Like, how many Mexican eateries are there in this town, and how many noodle shops.. it doesn't compare.

Anyway we should do a list of the best ones in our humble opinions. If only to counter the epic hamburger debates. And we shall make sure to fight each other tooth and nail over which ones are better... I'm looking forward to it. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Noodles are the default food for us, as in, what to eat? I dunno what you want to eat? Up to you,.....ok, noodles.

me too

Most thai kids ate noodles for lunch in school while I was growing up......and I'm sure they still do!!!....LOL

YUM YUM tho :)

I grew up eating ramen in Tokyo.

I much prefer Japanese style noodles to Thai -- but some Thai versions are pretty good.

Yellow buckwheat noodles sen luang are my favorite. Thais seem to make a giant production over personalizing their bowl with crushed red chili pepper, vinegar, fish sauce and any assortment of other add-ons.

I prefer to judge the soup with almost nothing added -- maybe a short sprinkle red pepper. I could also do without the clotted blood blobs. :)

How do you make sure they don't put fresh pork blood in the soup? Or do if that's what you want?

Nam Sai+ = 'clear' soup means no pork blood innit.

Nam Tok = with pork blood in it.

This doesn't apply to all varieties though; my favorites are usually the stewed pork/beef/chicken varieties where Nam Tok thankfully isn't an option. :)

What about kuay teow luk chin pla, fish ball noodle soup? Ok, Ok, I know, You didn't know fish had balls. They do and it beats pork blood. But where are the best shops in town? I like the one on Charoen Prathet, at about ChangKlan soi 3?, between the photo shop on the corner and the mini-mart /pharmacy. Any other favorites? don

Edited by drtreelove

One of our favorite is Koey Teow Nua Rot Yiem or เกี๋ยวเตี๋ยวเนื้อ รสเยี่ยม

It is located past Thapae Gate (old city side) near the end of the straight on the left of course :)

Past talad sompet or sompet market & just past Kasikorn bank

We brought back 6 containers of their hot brown pepper powder that makes theirs so good.

mmmmmmmmm I miss that place mak mak

Edited by flying

One of our favorite is Koey Teow Nua Rot Yiem or เกี๋ยวเตี๋ยวเนื้อ รสเยี่ยม

Thanks for that. I do not find many good Koey Teow places near Thapae Gate.

Do they have chicken?

No sorry they are Nua specific & proud of it :)

Their thin sliced beef is excellent though. I do not eat the beef meat balls

because like all *balls* in TL they seem the wrong color to me...LOL

But my wife said their great.

But yes try them it is clean & great tasting & great service.

Also gotta try the ice cream desert salim & tabtim...you know?

Edited by flying

Nak tok? Waterfall is blood?

Waterfall is also nam tok yes. Not sure if there's a relation, I wasn't in charge of naming when God created Thai noodles. It probably just means 'murky' (as in 'not clear') in this case though but I'm guessing.

So that juicy beef dish called Neua Yang Nam Tok has fresh blood in it?

I googled it for you because that's the kind of guy I am, and it doesn't appear so:

http://www.maeban.co.th/show_topic.php?id=2085&forum=8

No blood. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

What about kuay teow luk chin pla, fish ball noodle soup? Ok, Ok, I know, You didn't know fish had balls. They do and it beats pork blood. But where are the best shops in town? I like the one on Charoen Prathet, at about ChangKlan soi 3?, between the photo shop on the corner and the mini-mart /pharmacy. Any other favorites?

Well, Ong Thipparot comes to mind. They're the shop that opens in the evening and does booming business all through the night. They have miniature fish balls. It's on Phrapokklao Road, just South of Chang Phuak Gate on the right hand side when coming from the gate.

And of course the place at the Three Kings Monument. Yentafo Sa-Aad. (which is open only during the day, so complinents Ongฯ nicely) They do very good regular noodles soup with various types of fish balls as well. Yentafo Sa-Aad is probably the Mother of all Fish Ball Soups.. Can't go wrong bringing Thais there for a noodle lunch.

if you live in the Hang Dong / Canal Road area then the noodle shop near the corner of the Outer Ring and Canal Road does a decent fish ball noodle soup as well.

Personlly I'm not a huge fan of any kind of look chin, I prefer the pork stew with real meat in it. (The closer to Malaysian Bak Kut Teh, the better, so with the Chinese spices)

So anyway, that's at least two recommended places on the list right there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai