A Tree Advertised To Produce More Oil Than The Oil Palm.

Mellittia pinnatta is the species name.

Is it currently being grown in Thailand?

Is the "fruit" processed by the same means therefore a usable sellable product here?

This tree is a legume so it actually improves the soil as it grows by "fixing" nitrogen.

It is said to grow in poorer soil, with less water, and wider temperature range than the oil palm and as it matures said to produce a lot more than the palm.

Produces more, on cheaper land, and makes the world a better place all at the same time?

Does anyone know about this tree?

Too good to be true, or real opportunity?

.... and thats the question: you need to study the yeilds very carefully to establish the conditions and circumstances under which the claimed figures are obtained, and whether or not they can be reproduced in Thailand.

I had the exact same issue years ago when starting to grow maize and other forage crops in Thailand - had I followed what the text books said (and then what the internet added years later) I would not be getting the yields I do today. Writeups (in respect of any crop type) are good for an overview, but unless all the conditions and circumstances can be reproduced identicly (to include irrigation and climate conditions), you seldom get yields like those advertised or claimed.

Add to this (at least as far as Thailand is concerned) that for any large area crop, their are inevatable logistic factors to be considered e.g. the notable example in Thailand is in respect of sugarcane - the bottom for farmers is largerly determined not by yield but by the costs associated with moving the cane, arranging transport, and the cost of trucks sitting around for hours waiting to be loaded and unloaded ... can be a big isue with all large area crops.

MF

These boys are quoting BILLIONS of $AU. That's on 625,000 Rai of course. Income starts after 3 years. A few other MAJOR points left out.

http://www.millettiaplantations.com/investment.htm

Still, worth a few hours surfing. :D Even if only to find 520 acres of good land (50 minutes from Port Mcquarie) for $AU 200k. :):D

Worth investigating. The Aussie site quotes 28 tons per hect. An older Indian site quoted 2.8 tons per hect. The Aussie site was much more intensive. 200 trees per hectare. (32 trees per Rai.)

Regards.

Edit: The real positive's for this tree, are it's tolerance to drought and salinity. Two of the biggest problems in Issan.

Regards.

Edited by teletiger