Long Time Storage (6 Months) Of Motorbike.......

Arctic

I apologize in advance in case this is an old topic on the forum - but I couldn't find anything.

I'm just about to store my new Honda CBR 150cc for some 6 months since I'm about to leave Thailand for the low season.

Most likely, I've found myself a good indoor parking spot (garage) at a private residence.

Please advice: What is there to do with the bike before leaving it for the extended nap?

I'm already told to change engine-/ gear box oil and empty the gas tank.

- Is this valid? I actually thought that one should leave the gas tank filled in order to avoid internal corrosion.....?

- Should I use that silvery "motorbike raincoat", or would that only trap moisture and thereby increase corrosion?

- Honda CBR 150cc, for some strange reason reason, lacks central stand - is it okay to leave it on the side stand?

- What more is there to consider?

I would be very happy if someone would give me a complete what-to-do-list.

Thank's,

Hi. There are so many "old wives tales" about this topic, and so many folk have their own preference.

Personally I'd leave a small amount of fuel in the tank..... don't bleed it dry..... then when you come back fill her up and the "old" fuel will be mixed with new and you shouldn't have any problems. If it's a new bike and being stored under cover I cannot see there being any corrosion problems over 6 months. (Don't ever run her on to reserve anyway...... or if you do, clean the lines/carb periodically.)

I'd just drape an old blanket over the bike....... bungee it down as cats have been known to sleep on (and scratch) a nice comfy covered bike seat!

Side stand is ok...... if you had a centre stand I'd suggest using it and taking some air pressure out the tyres but unless you put a wooden block under the bike and jack her up I wouldn't bother. Just make dam_n sure you check tyres for hairline cracks when you return, because standing tyres will lose their elasticity...... but 6 months stored in shelter? Should be ok.

You could go the whole hog and disconnect the battery...... then give her a good charge up on your return, or buy new!

Best bet is have a mate fire her up every 2 weeks and take her out for a few klicks!

Edited by AceCafe

do not know what is the best. can only tell you what i do with my intruder 1400, only side stand, back in ch for the last 7 years. and it worked. storage times from 3 month to 9 months. outside under a roof.

clean the bike

drive it dry

fill up the gas tank

proper and enough oil's

give over pressure to the tires

spray the bike with sonax (mos2oil)

disconnect the battery and store it dry

i do not have moisture problem there so i use a silvery "motorbike raincoat". here i am not sure even i see a lot of cars covered with them. to use a thin towel is maybe the better alternative. stops the dust and let the air flow.

by return i use the spray again, to soften the old dry one, befor i clean the bike. :)

AceCafe and enerzne have it covered. But I would prefer to have it on a trickle charger so every month someone could fire it up to give it a run for a few minutes. Keep those tyres off the ground if you can.

If its covered, maybe add a couple of mouse traps, I found a mouse had moved into the space under the passenger seat of my CBR400 and had been stealing the dry dog food and storing it there. Nice little set-up he had, couldn't get the bugger out as he hid under the fuel tank, he finally vacated at about 120 kmh never to be seen again. :)

I apologize in advance in case this is an old topic on the forum - but I couldn't find anything.

I'm just about to store my new Honda CBR 150cc for some 6 months since I'm about to leave Thailand for the low season.

Most likely, I've found myself a good indoor parking spot (garage) at a private residence.

Please advice: What is there to do with the bike before leaving it for the extended nap?

- Is this valid? I actually thought that one should leave the gas tank filled in order to avoid internal corrosion.....?

- Should I use that silvery "motorbike raincoat", or would that only trap moisture and thereby increase corrosion?

- Honda CBR 150cc, for some strange reason reason, lacks central stand - is it okay to leave it on the side stand?

Thank's,

If you're battery's good there's no real drama here. All I did was throw a cover over it, lock it up and left it for 8 months at a buddy's house.

There's no real need to prep it, especially if it's new.

When I got back, it took a few minutes to bump start it, then it was ready to rock and roll again :)

Some of my buddies who drive sports cars tout you ought to empty it etc etc but that's just being finicky for a small cc bike IMO.

I have never had a problem, just keep it dry if you can, disconnect the battery and dont fill it with gasahol (it degrades quickly) Im told!! Tho have no

proof :)

I would cover the cbr with a bed sheet.Spray it up with sonax wd40 and close gasoline switch Benzinhahn off then run it till it goes off alone.Then your carb is empty and the small jets wont clock up,when you come back try to pushstart for get the full battery power to the ignition.But mostly they dont start because the piston in the carb is sticky a little bit.A For professionals who dont mind burn down the bike give some gasoline on the airfilter.Burn baby burn.i have by the way a race ignition box for this thing cheap for sale Kittyracing.See you at the ACE

This is what I would do. Remove the spark plugs, put a teaspoon of oil down each hole, put the plugs in the caps and earth them to the head, crank the engine to coat the rings and liners with oil and replace the spark plugs. Fill the fuel tank and drain the carb bowls, add a fuel stabiliser to the fuel. Alternatively remove the tank and pour 1/2 ltr of oil in it and shake it around. Buy a battery tender such as an Optimate and remove the battery from the bike and connect it to the tender. Don't know where you are but Richco in Chiang Mai had ones in there at the weekend. Coat the fork tubes ( and other exposed metal parts) with Vaseline or KY if you have a tube lying around. Lube the cables. Jack the bike up and place a block of wood under the tyres, deflate by 5 to 10 psi, no more or tyre might unseat from the rim (tubeless tyres). Apply a wax polish to the painted surfaces but don't polish it. When you get back stick the battery in and change the oil. Pour some oil down the plug holes, put the plugs in the caps and earth them to the head. Turn it over to throw some oil around. I crank it for a while to get oil up to the camshaft and also to the bottom, small-end and main bearings. Put the plugs back, fill the carb bowls and start it. Remove the Vaseline and polish it. Some might that is overkill but I have never had any problems.

That's a cert for sports cars and to the bone alright.

Why add oil to the gas tank??

Empty the fuel tank and throw in 1/2 ltr of motor oil, swill it around and coat the internal surfaces of the tank to prevent corrosion.

The best way to prevent water, (and eliminate the possibility of corrosion), in your fuel tank is to always keep it full when not used for extended periods of time.

Corrosion occurs when oxygen, either in the air present, or disolved in water comes in contact with a metal susceptable to oxidation.

Water enters your fuel system when air is present and the water vapour contained within the air condenses onto the metal surfaces from external temperature fluctuation.

I have driven (small recreational) aeroplanes for a number of years and one of the things that gets drilled into your training is meticulous care of your fuel system, for obvious reasons. My instructors, and mechanics, all went to great lengths to explain the importance of keeping your tank filled to the top when not using it for extended periods of time, even if you have to go through the chore of siphoning fuel out to meet weight and balance requirements, for the reasons outlined above.

Full fuel = No air = No oxygen & condensation within the tank.

Cheers. :)