The Child From hel_l

chiangmaioldhand

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With being out in public comes a certain amount of responsibility. Being in a restaurant is a place for a child to learn manners. Screaming children should not be out in public and parents should keep their children in control. To ignore this is to be disrespectful of others and of the establishment.

I agree.

I have witnessed the "No Riff Raff" sign at the noted establishment, right in the front, for all to see. One of the first things I noticed ( and was getting ready to leave but deemed myself worthy enough not to be "riff raff")

Me-

I would take the child by the short hairs and pitch 'em over your retainer wall only so that he would be kidnapped by the frog ladies ( one of the prettiest I have ever seen was at this establishment, couldn't keep my old perv eyes off of 'er..a beauty she was ) thus ending your customers torment, your torment and no doubt the parents torment as well.

Or maybe a few short jabs to the chin quite quickly..just a kid, you just don't have to bob and weave as much. ( and if they are younger than 10, it makes your right cross look much more impressive! )

Glad to see you slipped past the 'no riff-raff' sign. I think I remember you coming in and I considered you a borderline case, so I let it slip that time. Depending on my mood (and yours, obviously) you may not get away with it next time. Let's just say I'll be monitoring you carefully and leave it at that.

The pretty hilltribe girl does attract a few admirers and I think she stands out even more when surrounded by the toothsome hags that are no doubt related. She's like a little Cinderella waiting for someone just like you.

As regards to the short jabs, I prefer a quck one to the ribs because it's easier to disguise. You may have touched on a the nub of the problem though - maybe they don't beat up their child as often as prescribed. I'm sure you are well aware of the old adage 'spare the rod, spoil the child'. We were regularly beaten as kids (eight of us!!) and it didn't do us any harm.

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

I know it's low season, and business is down so we have to pretend to be nice to the customers, (even UG confessed to it)  but surely there are limits?

I had a couple in tonight with a two year old child that made Damien look like an angel. This kid screamed and threw tantrums for about an hour whilst mum struggled to control her and dad sat there oblivious to it all!! He sat there quietly sipping his Guinness, as if nothing was happening, whilst his child practically had convulsions. 

As a firm believer that kids should be seen and not heard , I would normally have asked them to leave at the merest hint of a whimper from the child, but my missus has been on about being nice to the customers for weeks now. It's driving me mad. I had to ride it out until finally they paid and left.

I have a sign to keep the 'riff-raff' out (that's only still there because she doesn't understand it) but what can I do to dissuade those people who can't control their child? Obviously, a blanket 'no kids' policy would be best but that won't wash with the missus.

What would you have done? Bear in mind that infanticide is a crime in Thailand ( I think).

Kevin,

I don't see where the child is thai or non-thai. AND I believes it does make a difference in what the answer should be.

There is a very big difference (even apart from the free water MM)

I have three children (where I come from "kids" is definately not PC)

I don't claim that they are perfect, nor do I claim to have had (or been) the major influence in the way that they have turned out.

BUT! when they were told to "go to bed", "get your feet off the table" (in a restaurant, "saw one yesterday in Carrefour sitting on the table", "OK, I would have given the kids mother something on the table, she looked OK :) ) "don't speak when you are eating" "don't pick your nose" etc., etc., they did exactlty what their mother (my ex) told them.

There was no argey bargey. It was do it or else.

These <deleted> heads who talk about the way children are or should be disciplined have led to f'wits who blew up the twin towers.

My children did not live as in Guantanamo Bay but they did as they were told.

As for your guest I would have thrown the whole bunch out, and the little cnuts would have been the first out along with their ignorant supposed parents. (regardless what your missus might say)

And as for free water or non free water I would have happily drowned the little baastard.

Edited by john b good

If the parents are trying to keep the kids quiet, my opinion is to not say anything. Restaurants could be pro-active and some are great at it. Here are a few things that I have seen in Chiang Mai that really help....

1. Have colouring sheets.

2. Have a fish tank (my kids go in a trance watching it)

3. Seat the families near the doors (so that parents can quickly take them out the door if they start screaming). In the least, put them away from the other older guests.

4. Have a small toy section (Pizzamania has a small basket of toys and it shuts my son up for the entire meal).

5. Have a swing set outside (if you have space).

6. SERVE THE KIDS' FOOD FIRST (Most restaurants seem to serve their food last which I never understood).

7. Serve drinks in plastic cups. (This is not really to keep them quiet but I don't understand why a waitress would ever hand a 2 year old a glass drink. They're asking for trouble).

Excellent list. The only thing I could add is probably having tall children's chairs around, preferably in good and safe condition. :)

Probably a nice kid's menu would be good too, including a dessert section so the kids know there's a potential ice cream opportunity if they behave.

Some restaurants really take the 'playing area' to the next level.. Like that very big and very busy place on the Canal Road near the intersection with the Middle Ring. They have a full kids play cage similar to the ones you see at Big C and all those. They've actually contracted that out, so they charge a fee for it. Result is that everyone wins: the restaurant, the parents, the kids, the play pen operator, and all other restaurant guests...

You see the thing is, with the local tourism economy the way it is, I would think of 'kids & restaurants' as an OPPORTUNITY first and foremost on decent loyal repeat business, not as a problem. Because parents WILL return to a place that's kid friendly.

Anyway, where is the pub in the OP located? Is it on Moon Muang? Loi Kroh? You can just state the location I think and not be deported to a detention center.. ( I think )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If the parents are trying to keep the kids quiet, my opinion is to not say anything. Restaurants could be pro-active and some are great at it. Here are a few things that I have seen in Chiang Mai that really help....

3. Seat the families near the doors (so that parents can quickly take them out the door if they start screaming). In the least, put them away from the other older guests.

4. Have a small toy section (Pizzamania has a small basket of toys and it shuts my son up for the entire meal).

6. SERVE THE KIDS' FOOD FIRST (Most restaurants seem to serve their food last which I never understood).

7. Serve drinks in plastic cups. (This is not really to keep them quiet but I don't understand why a waitress would ever hand a 2 year old a glass drink. They're asking for trouble).

Excellent list. The only thing I could add is probably having tall children's chairs around, preferably in good and safe condition. :)

Probably a nice kid's menu would be good too, including a dessert section so the kids know there's a potential ice cream opportunity if they behave.

Some restaurants really take the 'playing area' to the next level.. Like that very big and very busy place on the Canal Road near the intersection with the Middle Ring. They have a full kids play cage similar to the ones you see at Big C and all those. They've actually contracted that out, so they charge a fee for it. Result is that everyone wins: the restaurant, the parents, the kids, the play pen operator, and all other restaurant guests...

You see the thing is, with the local tourism economy the way it is, I would think of 'kids & restaurants' as an OPPORTUNITY first and foremost on decent loyal repeat business, not as a problem. Because parents WILL return to a place that's kid friendly.

Anyway, where is the pub in the OP located? Is it on Moon Muang? Loi Kroh? You can just state the location I think and not be deported to a detention center.. ( I think )

C'mon folks.

What we have here is a restaurant.

Does the Meridien, the Shangri La, the Holiday Inn, the Chedi, the Oriental. the Riverside, Gallery, (the list is endless), have a play pen for uncontrollable little monsters?? (and monsters is being extremely kind)

If you have children you have a responsibillity to keep the little monsters under some form of control.

It's the parents responsibility.

If they can't do the job he should keep his dick in his pants and she should keep her legs closed.

And what will they want next?? Milk formula and to have it heated to tittie temperature.............

Edited by john b good

C'mon folks.

Does the Meridien, the Shangri La, the Holiday Inn, the Chedi, the Oriental. the Riverside, Gallery, (the list is endless), have a play pen for uncontrollable little monsters?? (and monsters is being extremely kind)

If you have children you have a responsibillity to keep the little monsters under some form of control.

It's the parents responsibility.

If they can't do the job he should keep his dick in his pants and she should keep her legs closed.

And what will they want next?? Milk formula and to have it heated to tittie temperature.............

It's a pub restaurant, so I agree. Bring your kids by all means but don't expect me to be dressing up as a clown making toy poodles from balloons. :D

The Thai staff are very good with kids but we aren't there to entertain them.

Colouring pencils and small toys!!

I hear that the TV party at Tuskers doesn't allow kids - is that right?

John B Good

My list were only suggestions that I've seen other restaurants do. I had no idea that it was a pub that we were talking about. I personally wouldn't ever take my kids to that kind of place. By definition, it's not a kid-friendly place.

However; I had to laugh because many of the restaurants that you suggested have kid-friendly options. In fact, I would go as far to say that the Shangri-La is one of the most kid-friendly places around. Ever gone to their Sunday brunch? Obviously ChiangMaiOldHand has. They have a clown who creates balloon animals for the kids, children's seats, a kid's play room and they also have the swimming pool included in the price of the buffett. As a parent of two kids, it's a dream place to enjoy lunch.

While I agree that it is the parent's responsibility to keep watch of their kids, I think that some on this thread are being a bit over-the-top. Perhaps it's because they've never had kids of their own. In any case, I ask the same that others have asked..... where is the place that we're talking about? If they don't appreciate kids, I'll take my business to a restaurant that does.

Until my son was about 6 or 7, and had proper table manners, we never took him out to dine.

Except for Me 'N Ed's Pizza Parlour, a large dim hall with communal tables and benches, ringed with myriad video games, pinball machines and candy dispensers...the children would run rampant, and the beleaguered parents would be quaffing carafes of red wine like water.... :D

CMOH, I hear that a large shot of Dimetapp or Robitussin slipped into a sugary drink usually will sedate an unruly child.

Not to say that I would ever stoop to such a low and irresponsible action, myself. :)

I'm not sure as to the legalities of Farangs running restaurants in Thailand.

So having problems with customers may bring unwanted problems.

Best to take the rough with the smooth and keep a low profile.

You come across as being a smug, know-it-all. Your last three posts are condescending, at the least.

I've never been a 'I've been here for x years so what do you know' type but I'll make an exception for you..

As I've already said before, I've been here for twenty years  and so, not surprisingly,  I DO know the legalities of running restaurants in Thailand.

I think you may well fall into the 'Riff Raff' category so consider youself banned. :D  

By the way, after 20 years you are only number three in the list so it is something of an honour.

Any guesses from any of the old-timers as to who 1 and 2 are? :)

I know it's low season, and business is down so we have to pretend to be nice to the customers, (even UG confessed to it) but surely there are limits?

I had a couple in tonight with a two year old child that made Damien look like an angel. This kid screamed and threw tantrums for about an hour whilst mum struggled to control her and dad sat there oblivious to it all!! He sat there quietly sipping his Guinness, as if nothing was happening, whilst his child practically had convulsions.

As a firm believer that kids should be seen and not heard , I would normally have asked them to leave at the merest hint of a whimper from the child, but my missus has been on about being nice to the customers for weeks now. It's driving me mad. I had to ride it out until finally they paid and left.

I have a sign to keep the 'riff-raff' out (that's only still there because she doesn't understand it) but what can I do to dissuade those people who can't control their child? Obviously, a blanket 'no kids' policy would be best but that won't wash with the missus.

What would you have done? Bear in mind that infanticide is a crime in Thailand ( I think).

kill the parents!

To the OP, I still don't know where your establishment is but do kindly let me (us) know so that I never bring my kids there. Would not want anyone thinking bad about my kids while we dine there. Especially the owners! We'll give our business to someone else more happily.

Congratulations "TB" I didn't know that you had been in baby making mode, i.e. that you had a brood :)

On directions to the restaurant in question (if I am not mistaken) Start by standing up, turn 180 degrees, and looking at the klong, walk to your left (north) about 100 metres, turn right (watch out for the traffic "they get more points for knocking a farang over, even more if he dies as a result") You are now in a supposedly one way road, continue on untill you get to a four road intersection (no not the one that the police from Bangkok closed down some years back) cross this big intersection (depending on the time of the day be careful not to be run over by an out of control contaption some call a NB stall) and again watching for the cars that are out to get you proceed about 75 metres and you will spot a restaurant on your left where red shirts are mandatory apparel (not like Thaksins mates but red all the same)

When entering said establishment be sure not to mention anything like Sir Alex said this or that. In fact best to talk about rugby "unless you yourself happen to be from Merseyside" in which case you will be provided with free water.

But just keep your kid's (sic) under control. :D

Edited by john b good

It is on Loi Kroh Road, very close to McDonald's and is supposed to have pretty good fish and chips. :D

Ah.. that scarlet feline I presume.. :)

In that case it's even more likely to get kids; it's the night bazar area of course, and if there's one group of tourism to chiang mai that's on the rise (relatively speaking in relation to other groups that are declining) then it's young families.

You need to distinguish between the 5 star places which by and large are absolutely awesome with kids due to having enough staff, and regular restaurants. Last time I showed up at the Oriental with a kid they did a free horse carriage trip around their grounds. Then went for ice cream at their bakery where the staff is of course completely magnificent.. The Riverside on the other hand is a big and busy place, and nobody would expect them to actively entertain kids, or keep horses around. :D

Obviously. I think a lot of the confusion in this topic comes from not everyone being on the exact same page, with some people thinking that any kid is like the absolute worst case they've ever encountered, whereas other people who are parents know that their kids tend to behave a lot better than you average Chiang Mai Farang.. The topic of kids on planes is similarly heated, where some people seem to think that every kid will scream its head off for the duration of a flight. In fact it's only the noisy exceptions that you notice at all.

Well, YES of course! It's probably been a while since you had small kids, but just about EVERY restaurant will assist here. You may remember that formula is a powder that's easily transported, so that the only thing you're asking is to have them serve a luke-warm glass of water. Just about all restaurants do this free of charge.

fuc_k, if you walk into some restaurants as a young single male parent the (female) staff will click into the usual mode that men can't be expected to do anything in relation to kids and will do just about anything, up to and including changing diapers! :) 'Thai culture & people' is the ONE redeeming feature that makes raising kids in Thailand bearable.

And finally, all of those recommendations aren't things I or anyone else would expect any restaurant to comply with; remember, with young families being on the increase relative to traditional groups such as backpackers and sex tourists, it is an OPPORTUNITY for any business to cater to a market that's becoming more varied and more mature. You see it with the tour companies as well; 10 years ago you just had a pick up with some benches in the back to truck backpackers off to the mountains. You see a lot more sophistication now, geared more to the individual needs of the guest/customer.

It's an opportunity even for a (used) book store.. It's pretty hard to find fun English language children's books in this town. DK for sure never have anything new. Again, it's an opportunity, and it's a Good Thing.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You need to distinguish between the 5 star places which by and large are absolutely awesome with kids due to having enough staff, and regular restaurants. Last time I showed up at the Oriental with a kid they did a free horse carriage trip around their grounds. Then went for ice cream at their bakery where the staff is of course completely magnificent.. The Riverside on the other hand is a big and busy place, and nobody would expect them to actively entertain kids, or keep horses around. :D

Obviously. I think a lot of the confusion in this topic comes from not everyone being on the exact same page, with some people thinking that any kid is like the absolute worst case they've ever encountered, whereas other people who are parents know that their kids tend to behave a lot better than you average Chiang Mai Farang.. The topic of kids on planes is similarly heated, where some people seem to think that every kid will scream its head off for the duration of a flight. In fact it's only the noisy exceptions that you notice at all.

Well, YES of course! It's probably been a while since you had small kids, but just about EVERY restaurant will assist here. You may remember that formula is a powder that's easily transported, so that the only thing you're asking is to have them serve a luke-warm glass of water. Just about all restaurants do this free of charge.

fuc_k, if you walk into some restaurants as a young single male parent the (female) staff will click into the usual mode that men can't be expected to do anything in relation to kids and will do just about anything, up to and including changing diapers! :) 'Thai culture & people' is the ONE redeeming feature that makes raising kids in Thailand bearable.

And finally, all of those recommendations aren't things I or anyone else would expect any restaurant to comply with; remember, with young families being on the increase relative to traditional groups such as backpackers and sex tourists, it is an OPPORTUNITY for any business to cater to a market that's becoming more varied and more mature. You see it with the tour companies as well; 10 years ago you just had a pick up with some benches in the back to truck backpackers off to the mountains. You see a lot more sophistication now, geared more to the individual needs of the guest/customer.

It's an opportunity even for a (used) book store.. It's pretty hard to find fun English language children's books in this town. DK for sure never have anything new. Again, it's an opportunity, and it's a Good Thing.

"fuc_k, if you walk into some restaurants as a young single male parent the (female) staff will click into the usual mode that men can't be expected to do anything in relation to kids and will do just about anything, up to and including changing diapers! :D 'Thai culture & people' is the ONE redeeming feature that makes raising kids in Thailand bearable"

Yes I agree on this one.

I just wish I was a couple of years younger and I would borrow a kid (anyone's kid) and I am sure that I would then have to buy a bigger capacity SIM card to hold all the new contact telephone numbers I would collect.

Thai's girls (females) go ga-ga over farang kids. You'd think they (the kids) came from another planet. :D

Jeeze you blokes are easily reeled in. The whole thread is a wind up, and if you know the OP you will will realise that he just loves Trolling :)

I think that the missus (his) must be giving him a hard time.

But I think that this thread has some way to go before it overtakes the number of posts on the "free water thread"

Now with TG cutting back on flights even more (swine flu is the excuse this time) business will be even further down so any free advertising has got to be good for business (and might even reduce the number of little snotties ranting and raving) :D

AND, of course I know him "he used to be in Coronation Street didn't he" :D

Jeeze you blokes are easily reeled in. The whole thread is a wind up, and if you know the OP you will will realise that he just loves Trolling :D

I'm not clear what 'trolling' is but a couple of definitions I saw imply rudeness and ill intent.

I related a true event that happended a couple of days ago and added a hint of humour, just to brighten up an otherwise uninteresting forum. That's not trolling is it?

That some people took it so seriously is not surprising since that is the case of most threads here.

It may also have exposed how seriously so many people take life, or how intolerant one or two people are, but that is true of every post isn't it? I've seen threads where people end up arguing over the weather! :D

Some people even suggest that it is an attempt to drum up business!! :)

I'm now fully aware of the 'no advertising' policy and I have been very careful to not disclose the name of my establishment, so how could that be true? I'm sure Tuskers, Dukes, Diablos, Bake n Bite and all the other establishments mentioned herein pay a fair amount to advertise here so it is only fair that people shouldn't gate-crash. Nope, that's not my intention.

Besides, things may be slow at the moment but, I'm not THAT desperate. Most people here wouldn't even make it past the 'No Riff Raff' sign, anyway. :D

Personally, I think I should be getting paid for this.

I love children and I seem to understand them. When a 2 year old is crying it's for one of three things: it's hungry or thirsty, it's tired, or it wants attention (sometimes all 3). I often walk over to harried mothers with a whining kid. I do it in super markets and restaurants. I give the mother a wink and start talking to the child. A two year old is old enough to understand and will often (not always) shut up when I start talking to it. I'll just say something like "Is THAT the loudest you can cry?" and then I'll give a few wimpers myself. Pretty soon the kid will have forgotten what they were crying about. But, that only works if the child is not uncomfortable (hungry, tired etc).

I've done it twice in the past two weeks and it worked each time. The parents were thankful afterward and gave me a smile.

Of course, I agree with others here that a bar-restaurant is NOT a place to bring children. There are many places for that everywhere. And, if the kids are a real problem then there is always take-out places for food and beverage.

I love children and I seem to understand them. When a 2 year old is crying it's for one of three things: it's hungry or thirsty, it's tired, or it wants attention (sometimes all 3). I often walk over to harried mothers with a whining kid. I do it in super markets and restaurants. I give the mother a wink and start talking to the child. A two year old is old enough to understand and will often (not always) shut up when I start talking to it. I'll just say something like "Is THAT the loudest you can cry?" and then I'll give a few wimpers myself. Pretty soon the kid will have forgotten what they were crying about. But, that only works if the child is not uncomfortable (hungry, tired etc).

I've done it twice in the past two weeks and it worked each time. The parents were thankful afterward and gave me a smile.

Of course, I agree with others here that a bar-restaurant is NOT a place to bring children. There are many places for that everywhere. And, if the kids are a real problem then there is always take-out places for food and beverage.

Good idea for a movie? The Child Whisperer. I'll give you the first option but if you don't take it up I'll do it.

Are you good looking and can you act? 

Don't worry about your arithmetic skills, that's not important.

Are you good looking and can you act?

Don't worry about your arithmetic skills, that's not important.

Good looking! :):D:D ... He!! no!

But children love me

Ian_Fong_sleeping.sized.jpg

Ian_carrying_Fong_2.sized.jpg

Ian_and_Ariana_1.sized.jpg

And so do their mommas

Ian_Fie_Em.sized.jpg

Oh, and I CAN act, but choose not to.

How come there are no fish in the photos Ian?

Because the thread is about children. But, I've got pictures of children fishing if that's what you want...

Kids_n_fishin_3.sized.jpg

My son was my fishing buddy when he was young...

Kids_n_fishin_4.sized.jpg

Matt_with_bass.sized.jpg

He even helped his sister net her first large trout.

Lara_Matt.jpg

Now he has a daughter of his own.

Matt_Coral_Eden_1.sized.jpg

signs should only be put up for drunkards. thats worse than having a few kids around..

'Riff Raff' covers drunkards too, but there is a problem either way.

Drunkards don't usually think they're drunk and 'Riff Raff' aren't always aware of their Riffraffness. :D

I'm looking at employing Ian 'Child Whisperer' Forbes as a child placater so that one's already under control. If he can't do the job, I'm hoping he'll give me a few lessons. Failing that, he has some good fish-hooks that have taken my fancy, too. (see the 'fishing' post)

The short jab to the ribs( gpdjohn's suggestion) , doesn't always work, but good advice nonetheless. :)  

If parents don't understand their duty to other customers and the establishment to keep their children under control and well behaved in a restaurant environment they are clearly failing.

When my children were young they behaved in public or they did not come out. They liked eating out so they behaved.

Incentives are important - I learned that in rehab

I'm not sure as to the legalities of Farangs running restaurants in Thailand.

So having problems with customers may bring unwanted problems.

Best to take the rough with the smooth and keep a low profile.

You come across as being a smug, know-it-all. Your last three posts are condescending, at the least.

I've never been a 'I've been here for x years so what do you know' type but I'll make an exception for you..

As I've already said before, I've been here for twenty years  and so, not surprisingly,  I DO know the legalities of running restaurants in Thailand.

I think you may well fall into the 'Riff Raff' category so consider youself banned. :D  

By the way, after 20 years you are only number three in the list so it is something of an honour.

Any guesses from any of the old-timers as to who 1 and 2 are? :)

No Sassienie`s and some other Thaivisa members, no riff raff, no children, no drunks, etc, etc, etc.

I am disappointed that I only made it to no 3 on your list, I was hoping for a no 1. Columbia Pictures could make this into a movie called, chiangmaioldhand Lists.

I bet your place is not called the hospitality Inn

A no riff raff sign on the door, reminds me of Basil Faulty when he tries to upgrade his customers by advertising Faulty towers in a newspaper and quotes: no riff raff.

Your name wouldn’t be Basil by any chance?

Obviously the last 20 years has taken it toll and I think time to call it a day.

post-11344-1241289163_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie