Pet Shop's

BOOKEMDANO

Instead of buying a dog, why don't you rescue one from one of animal rescue projects in Chiang Mai?

It is free and if they are not too young, they often have been fixed and have all of their shots already.

I have taken in 4 cats and one dog so far and it sure feels good to give these loving animals a home. They let you know how much they appreciate it as they have all been homeless and crave someone to love and care for them. Please call Lanna Dog Rescue at 053 212810 and ask for Ms Rosan or Khun Korakot at 084 739 7070.

If anyone is interested in cats, just let me know. We just saved the cutest little boy cat from losing his leg to gangrene and I had the hardest time not keeping him myself after he was better. If he had lost the leg, I would have kept him, but living at the Wat for cats is not that bad on a temporary basis. There are also many other sweet cats of all ages looking for good homes.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Why not first think it over carefully what kind of dog you would like?

Small, medium, large, huge?

Mollosser, terrier, toy, hunting, herding etc. type or as UG says, a Thai mix?

Short, stock, long or curly hair?

Do you have sufficient time to take care the coat?

male or female?

do you have kids?

Do you have sufficient space and time for a (big) dog?

Can you approximately tell the age of the pup aty the time of purchase? Don't just believe the seller. How many pups I've seen that are sold at 4 weeks of age, but the seller told the owner 8 weeks, is uncountable.

etc.

As for petshops and -markets, a word of warning:

You have no idea where the pup comes from and how the mother dog and puppies were raised, despite the beautiful stories the seller tells you. And at these places virusses play party-time. A trip to the vet for a health check-up does not guarantee a healthy pup. It can be in the incubation time of one of the infectious diseases, which happens unfortunately quite a lot.

Better is to buy directly from the breeder and hten those that allow you to come over (a few times before the purchase) and have a look at the mother dog and pups.

edit/add: if you love labradors and don't mind an adult. Feel free to come over and have a look at the one I have at the kennel. He's still looking for a good home.

more edit/added: Your profile says you're 23 years old., meaning you've got a whole life ahead of you. Getting a dog means being responsible for it for at least 10 years. Also that you need to consider before you get the dog. Assuming you are a foreigner (can be quite wrong there), can you guarantee that you stay in Thailand for 10 more years, or take the dog with you when you move abroad? (and yes, i know it's impossible to tell what future will bring, but when one gets a dog one needs to take that into consideration.)

Edited by Nienke

Good points/suggestions from both UG and Nienke - agree 100%.

If you still want to go and buy from a shop, the main market seems to be at Pra Tu Hai Ya - at the eastern end of Hai Ya Road (which runs east from Mahidol Road to Route 108 - access from Mahidol Road when driving south is the last road on your left about 200 metres before you reach the flyover). Several pet supplies shops on your left - the animals are in the soi behind them. Buyer beware..........

Yes I would certainly put in a vote for Care for Dogs or Lanna Dog Rescue. About a year ago we spoke with both about some very nice puppies someone had dumped near our house. From memory one group was renovating kennels at the time, but the other folks came out and got them within a day or two.

Without people like these then these puppies (and countless others) would grow up as diseased soi dogs, attacking people and other dogs, and living a pretty terrible life. And without other people going to see them to get dogs/puppies for pets then those groups can't keep going for long.

As for that pet shop area that someone mentioned, you may well see some stomach-churning sights there of neglect and cruelty. Please don't support them.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Where has everybody "that has bought a dog" go to purchase a dog here in Chiang mai ?

There used to be a guy at the Pier Head in Liverpool selling Seagulls - only a pound each.

If you wanted one, you gave him a pound and he would then point to the sky and say 'that one's yours'.

In a similar vein, I've got some dogs for sale. I live in a small soi near the Gymkhana. PM me for more details.

50 baht each, 3 for 100. Can't be fairer than that.

Can I interest you in Tookay's? Great pets, but not good if you have kids or The Vicar coming round regularly.

My advice, stay away from pet shops in Thailand. My GF and I looked for a decent shop for weeks and couldn't find anything that seemed like they took good care of the dogs, all about profit. We then scoured the internet and found the same type of for-profit scammers, but also found some people who seemed like honest hobbiest breeders. Bought a beautiful Golden Retreiver, with papered liniage (non-show dog, just a pet, but papers seemed very legit, saw the puppies parents, family photos, etc). Talked to several reputable family breeders found through google searches before we found our dog.

If you want a "pure-bred" type dog, stay away from pet shops, search the net for breeders. If you just want a good pet dog, stay away from pet shops, I would go with a rescue dog over a pet shop profit mill dog any day.

Good points/suggestions from both UG and Nienke - agree 100%.

If you still want to go and buy from a shop, the main market seems to be at Pra Tu Hai Ya - at the eastern end of Hai Ya Road (which runs east from Mahidol Road to Route 108 - access from Mahidol Road when driving south is the last road on your left about 200 metres before you reach the flyover). Several pet supplies shops on your left - the animals are in the soi behind them. Buyer beware..........

I agree, and I wanted to say that I have had a good experience with buying a Shitzu there about 5 years ago for 2700 baht. It has done well, and is still acting like the puppy I bought :)

Most pet shops here are evil and not the sort of businesses you should support. For the most part they factory breed cats and dogs in the most scandalous conditions. I once saw over a hundred miniature poodles in a tiny outdoor space which had turned to slimy mud. The animals were filthy and crawling around in their own excrement but a quick bath and blow dry and hey presto fluffy, cute puppy ready for sale.

If you want pedigree buy directly from the breeder where you can the conditions in which the animal has been raise. If you are happy wiht a mongrel then support the good people at Lanna Dogs or Care 4 Dogs as mentioned.

Good points made buy all "except maybe the guy trying to flog me tookays" :)

I have owned a dog before an "English Bulldog" here in Chiang mai, and regrettably had to give him away. Thus i have learned much from this experience about the whole "dog is for life" theme. My parents breed Boxers back in the UK and i have always been around animals. So why does anybody buy a dog ?

Some a common interest, others a more practical soloution to keeping the backyard a safe enviroment from all those would be "trespassers" with intent to steal.

Somebody wanted to Analyse me to the point of vetting my circumstances as if to judge if was fit enough at the age of 23 to responsibley take care of an animal. You are exactly right in doing so and if everybody considered the points in which you made prior to going out there and buying a Dog. Maybe we wouldnt have the need for Lanna dog rescue.

On the subject on Lanna dog rescue i went to their address on huay keaw road which was stated on the website. This was just a place of residence and was given a contact in Sansai to vist. "THE ARK" where i spoke to a nice bloke called Grant if i remember correctly. The dogs he had were not quite what i had in mind. Most of which were old or blind or near death. He and others are doing a fantastic job at giving unwanted dogs a place to call home and his sanctuary really is quite impressive.

Can anybody elaborate on this situation with Lanna dog home because from what the ARK tells me Lanna dog home doesnt even have a place where they keep dogs !!!

Confused !!

Aha, so you grew up with one of the, if not THE, most fantastic dog breeds. :D

I know a boxer breeder CM. He might still have a puppy (about three months) left. :)

I almost, almost got one of his pups .. but had to decline as I'm now owned by a pug. She comes straight from ET-planet.

post-27646-1241356569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nienke

Aha, so you grew up with one of the, if not THE, most fantastic dog breeds. :D

I know a boxer breeder CM. He might still have a puppy (about three months) left. :)

I almost, almost got one of his pups .. but had to decline as I'm now owned by a pug. She comes straight from ET-planet.

post-27646-1241356569_thumb.jpg

Nienke

I was told your the man to contact when it comes to canines. Would you mind passing on the contact details of this Boxer breeder, and also if you know of anybody who breeds Rott's too?

Thanks

:D

Why not first think it over carefully what kind of dog you would like?

Small, medium, large, huge?

Mollosser, terrier, toy, hunting, herding etc. type or as UG says, a Thai mix?

Short, stock, long or curly hair?

Do you have sufficient time to take care the coat?

male or female?

do you have kids?

Do you have sufficient space and time for a (big) dog?

Can you approximately tell the age of the pup aty the time of purchase? Don't just believe the seller. How many pups I've seen that are sold at 4 weeks of age, but the seller told the owner 8 weeks, is uncountable.

etc.

As for petshops and -markets, a word of warning:

You have no idea where the pup comes from and how the mother dog and puppies were raised, despite the beautiful stories the seller tells you. And at these places virusses play party-time. A trip to the vet for a health check-up does not guarantee a healthy pup. It can be in the incubation time of one of the infectious diseases, which happens unfortunately quite a lot.

Better is to buy directly from the breeder and hten those that allow you to come over (a few times before the purchase) and have a look at the mother dog and pups.

edit/add: if you love labradors and don't mind an adult. Feel free to come over and have a look at the one I have at the kennel. He's still looking for a good home.

more edit/added: Your profile says you're 23 years old., meaning you've got a whole life ahead of you. Getting a dog means being responsible for it for at least 10 years. Also that you need to consider before you get the dog. Assuming you are a foreigner (can be quite wrong there), can you guarantee that you stay in Thailand for 10 more years, or take the dog with you when you move abroad? (and yes, i know it's impossible to tell what future will bring, but when one gets a dog one needs to take that into consideration.)

Absolutely spot on, good advice and hope for the dog’s sake the OP takes heed.

Yes, at 23 years old, how long can the OP guarantee his stay in Thailand?

I have read so many stories on ThaiVisa where a dog or cat owner has to leave the country and is begging someone to take their pets.

Many times these dogs or cats end up abandoned on the streets which is a certain death sentence for them if they were brought up in a good home.

I have had my 2 dogs for 5 years, part of my family, now 57 I will be in Thailand forever as a retiree on a regular pension. So my dogs future welfare is guaranteed.

A dog or cat is for life and I ask the OP to please be 100% sure that he can secure a good future for the animal before committing himself to it’s welfare.