Pterygium surgery in a Government Hospital

My thai-girl-friend, living close to Khon Kaen, has had hurting ..red-eyes for long time....using eye-drop-medicine...but now she is going to get operation on her eyes in Phol Hospital in KK.? first 1 eye and week later she go again for the other eye-operation....

as poor thai, she get free health-care, but still has to pay 25.000 bath for her eyes-operation....can this be true...so much?

My thai-girl-friend, living close to Khon Kaen, has had hurting ..red-eyes for long time....using eye-drop-medicine...but now she is going to get operation on her eyes in Phol Hospital in KK.? first 1 eye and week later she go again for the other eye-operation....

as poor thai, she get free health-care, but still has to pay 25.000 bath for her eyes-operation....can this be true...so much?

I doubt it

Go to any Goverment Hospital and you can get a price list

colino

Else she might has to wait 10 year for the operation.....

If she want the money from you, it might be a variation of the "sick Buffalo" story.

To put that in perspective:

I had surgery at the Phayothai hospital in Sriracha last month.

A CAT Scan

Over two hours of surgery

A night in hospital - Own Use Room.

Supper and Breakfast for my wife (well I didn't feel like eating)

Surgeon Fees

Anesthetist Fees

Nursing Fees

Operating Theatre Fees

Pathology Fees

Intravenous Fluids

Pain Killers 4 shots of Pethidine (commit that to memory for when you need it)

Follow up (Four consultations with surgeon + Removal of sutures)

Follow up meds

Total Price under Bht80K.

Ignore the posts above that think they are being smart at your expense!!!.....

Two eye operations.....relief from an irritant she has had for a 'long time'......25000 baht......well worth it.

Edited by 473geo

Check it out in every big Non Goverment private Hospitals are Englisg speaking people.

But as far as I know, the Private hospitals are not cheap!

So what does she have, what must be done and than you can ask around.

If she want the money from you, it might be a variation of the "sick Buffalo" story.

Either of the above two statements could be true.

Are you sure this is a government hospital because my wife is undergoing some very expensive treatment that has only cost 30 baht over the last 18 months and see goes in every month.

There is also a possibility some medical problems are not covered under the plan.

If you see some of the public hospital conditions and how long it takes getting anything done under the 30 baht health scheme, then if you cared about someone you would have them treated at a private hospital to get it sorted quickly, funds permitting.

A lot of the time if you have red eyes e.g. conjunctivitis it will be caused by an infection which usually clears up in a week or two with some prescribed eye drops but there's no way anyone here knows exactly what your girlfriend has, if an operation is required or not. If it is then does she need to stay overnight, is she planning on staying in the most expensive private room in the hospital etc. Maybe she is getting Lasik eye surgery (two visits...) who knows. Get her doctor to write in English what she has wrong with her and then do some research on the internet so you get a better idea on what the treatment involves. Every surgeon I've ever met in Thailand spoke English and will be able to write down in English the name of whatever requires operating on. Drops don't cost 25k, Lasik probably costs something like that for one eye. 

What is the diagnosis ?? If I were you I would be very cautious.

Sounds like conjunctivitus to me !! But of course I am no expert.

I too would be interested to know what type of eye operation cures redness. . .

? ? ?

That is to say I am skeptical.

The dad of my wife's friend got headache-pill under the 30baht scheme instead of treatment to pesticide poisoning. So I am well aware of the lack of actual help someone might get and also how many empty words the scheme is for a lot of people.

Not saying that not some people are helped, but it isn't a gift from the Gods...

Get her doctor to write in English what she has wrong with her and then do some research on the internet so you get a better idea on what the treatment involves. Every surgeon I've ever met in Thailand spoke English and will be able to write down in English the name of whatever requires operating on. Drops don't cost 25k, Lasik probably costs something like that for one eye.

This is the best advice IMHO. Learn more about the diagnosis / required procedure. Only then will you know if it is required / reasonable priced, or just another "sick buffalo" story.

From what I know alot of people in Issan suffer from sore red eyes ,

Mainly due to the dust and crap when farming rice.

As for goverment hospitals everytime my wife has needed someting done as long as you have the cash ,thier is never along waiting list.

Birth of our son CZ birth 2 days hospital all the fees 12,000 baht ,

And as i posted above you can go to the cash desk and get a price list then go to the booking in nurse and choose how much you want to pay for a room.

here near me an open ward 6 beds 400 baht anight going upto 1,200 for a VIP room

I cannot imagine what operation one can have on the eyes to "cure" them. The only poosibly that comes to mind is work on the tear ducts, but I'm not sure.

Best advice is above - get a written diagnosis. Explain to her you want to make sure the Dr. is right because you are concerned for her health.

Also, if she really needs it, schedule it on your next trip so you can care for her during the recuperation.

These gestures will ensure (a) she gets proper, safe medical care, and (:) the real work gets done.

She will appreciate your sincere interest if she's really sick.

Are you sure this is a government hospital because my wife is undergoing some very expensive treatment that has only cost 30 baht over the last 18 months and see goes in every month.

There is also a possibility some medical problems are not covered under the plan.

Sorry, but I am living out of Thailand ..working...since 5. Mars, will not be in Thailand until next October...so hard for me to check anything...therefore I am asking here..many of you have thai-gf. or wives. I hoping you can asking around..your thai-partners..

She say the name of her eyes-sickness is : ตอ้ เนือ้ ..

I have no idea what that means.

Yes.. she is a daughter to a farmer... I also thought her read-eyes sickness were just because of dust...hmmm..I not know how surgery can help..but I am no expert.

thanks ...

Sorry, but I am living out of Thailand ..working...since 5. Mars, will not be in Thailand until next October...so hard for me to check anything... :D

therefore I am asking here..many of you have thai-gf. or wives. I hoping you can asking around..your thai-partners..

Yes.. she is a daughter to a farmer... I also thought her read-eyes sickness were just because of dust...hmmm..I not know how surgery can help..but I am no expert.

thanks ...

Red flag!!! :)

Sorry, but I am living out of Thailand ..working...since 5. Mars, will not be in Thailand until next October...so hard for me to check anything...therefore I am asking here..many of you have thai-gf. or wives. I hoping you can asking around..your thai-partners..

thanks ...

I also don't know how surgery would help but the fact that she knows they will work on one eye at a time is a good sign that she isn't making the story up. I agree with other posts that say you should get a diagnosis if you are going to pay, that seems more than fair. If you can't get that and the final bill (tell her it is for tax purposes) then I wouldn't do it.

After writing the above I recalled that Thais often use the word operation where we would use the word treatment or procedure so it may not be an operation per se.

I once paid for part of an operation for my ex wife and asked for a bill and diagnosis before I would pay. The hospital obliged by e-mailing the bill, a translation, and photos of the removed apendix. :-)

Sound about right to me for a private hospital However you said she was a poor Thai so why isn't she under the government 30 baht plan the cost would be must least, but she might be on a long waiting list. :)

I asked the wife as she has eye problems and she grew up on the farm.

She told me that many people get dry eyes (tear ducts blocked) due to when they harvest the rice and burn the fields

And has had a simple test at the Hospital to measure the amount of tears produced per eye took about 5 mins.

Her result was one eye is very dry so she needs to use an eye gel (something like false tears ) when its dusty'

and costs 58 baht a tube (Watsons )

colino

Edited by colino

I think It is possible that she isn't being covered or at least not fully covered. They may not cover preventive surgery as this might be described - they may need to wait for vision problems etc.. Even so 25K isnt allot considering you are talking about eye-surgery.

Look up - Pterygium (conjunctiva) this is the translation of the thai word you were given, (im told). Wikipedia has a good run down of the causes and treatments- surgery.

Then talk to the doctor via a phone and get his run-down. Good luck.

Edited by travalaska

Version 3: the doc want to make some extra money for nothing. Also heard such stories.

"hmm Kwai with red eyes and farang with full pocket.....that will make the down payment for the BMW complete"

There are horrible stories about some Thai doctors.

It could be a realistic estimate..... for 2 slap up, no holes barred, parties for her, her Thai boyfriend, and countless scroungers that is. :)

It could be a realistic estimate..... for 2 slap up, no holes barred, parties for her, her Thai boyfriend, and countless scroungers that is. :)

But, the medical scenario ( the language used suggests an eye blockage) is true according to my girlfriend, who naturally is completely impartial. :D

Last year my 81 year old mother in law went to a well known eye hospital here in Chiang Mai for the removal of a cataract.

The doctor that operated on her made a horrific job of the operation. After 5 days my mother in law`s eye was just a ball of red jelly with some puss hanging off of it.

I thought that I had seem everything in my lifetime and that nothing could ever shock me, but when I saw the eye, it was beyond belief.

The Doctor had charged my mother in law 25000 baht for the main op and than additional fees for trying to stop the infection that totalled 31000 baht. Instead of sending her to another hospital that had better facilities to try and correct the mess this eye hospital had made of the job, the Doctor was prepared to let my mother in law die from infection rather than spoil his reputation.

I visited the eye hospital, cleared his surgery and gave the Doctor a balling out. He refunded the 31000 baht immediately and now we are in the process of suing him, as my brother in law is a lawyer.

On the same day we took my mother in law to another hospital in Chiang Mai. After examination the Doctor told us that my Mother in law has a most severe eye infection and if not operated on within the next 2 days, she will go blind and plus the infection will probably spread with fatal consequences.

I asked about the 30 baht scheme, as the hospital was a participant in the scheme. The Doctor said that if we choose that option there is no guarantee that my mother in law can be seen for a least a month. So I asked OK, HOW MUCH. About 80000 baht replied the Doctor. Thought about it for a couple of seconds and said, yes, go ahead. It’s only money; my mother in laws welfare is what counts.

So the operation was performed the following day and then after 2 weeks of intensive care, the life of my mother in law was spared, although she has lost most of the sight of her eye.

This is as in the UK, everyone knows that for those going private will receive priority over National Health, and the same applies in Thailand. Money talks, it’s a fact of life.

Not worth all the hassle and the loss of prestige when someone’s health is at stake.

OP...

After reading sassiene's terrible story & your tgf's story is true, she should get at least 2 more opinions and at least 3 references from former patients who have had similar problems / operations.

Just ask the Dr. straight up, if he's reluctant, you know what to do!

Good luck to you & your GF. :)

GD