How To Mail Packages And Boxes From Thailand?

LoveBug

I need to mail off some books, kitchenware and a few appliances from Bangkok to the US. Can somebody advise me on packing, shipping and what services to use? Some stuff like dining ware are fragle. Others like books are not. How do you pack them, what services are recommended and how much do they cost? Is Thailand Post safe to use?

Surface mail is fine, and it doesn't matter if it takes a few months to get there. But what matters is the items are safe and undamaged.

Any advice?

Guest Reimar
I need to mail off some books, kitchenware and a few appliances from Bangkok to the US. Can somebody advise me on packing, shipping and what services to use? Some stuff like dining ware are fragle. Others like books are not. How do you pack them, what services are recommended and how much do they cost? Is Thailand Post safe to use?

Surface mail is fine, and it doesn't matter if it takes a few months to get there. But what matters is the items are safe and undamaged.

Any advice?

Several ways. If you want to have it fast, send it with Airmail and bring it to the Airport Post office. Just send as normal parcel pp.

Or use DHL or UPS for to send it if you afraid that your packing isn't good enough. Just follow them advice for packing.

Cheers.

The appliances will not work in the US unless they are rated for 120 volts 60 hertz.

Yoo need to check the data plates on them before you ship them.

Yes, it's a good idea to verify what power source they need. Some items can have a physical switch to set for 220 or 110. Others are able to do it automatically, so all you need is an adapter plug for the US market, about $10 US. But...if they're only 220, you can buy an inverter (or converter, I get them mixed up) that will boost the power from 110 to 220, thereby making the appliances work in the US. I have one that takes 220 down to 110, and another that takes 110 and boosts it to 220. They're not cheap, but they can make replacing those 220 appliances unnecessary.

As for shipping, how many cubic metres and how much does it all weigh? If it's substantial, you might consider taking them to a freight consolidator, who will put your items (palletized) into a container on a ship. Cheap, safe, effective.

Thanks, folks. Yes, going to get a US adapter. I know of only two places to ship from: Mail Boxes Etc. at Carrefour and a post office at IT Mall. There is also a local post office around the area.

Well, it might be quite a bit. I haven't put them in boxes yet (still figuring out where to get those!). Where can I find a freigh consolidator?

And no, am not in a hurry. So I don't mind freight so long as stuff is safe. :)

Edited by LoveBug

Thailand Post will move almost anything, from small envelope to household of appliances, furniture etc.

I've used them many time both inside of Thailand and for sending things abroad.

On this site you can find many complaints about Thai Post but I have to be honest and say I've had very good service over many years.

Just recently my son bought a refrigerator and a washing machine in Bangkok on very good promotion prices and had them shipped to Roi Et by Thai Post. They were well packed by the Post Office staff who came to our house, and they arrived at an outlying farm in Roi Et province within 4 working days, all in good order.

For the last several years I've been regularly sending large envelopes of documents and small boxes (typical shoe box size) to Singapore and never once had late delivery, never been lost, never been tampered with.

But I do think it depends on the Post Office. And I know that Post Offices who are geared for furniture and appliances will also pack the objects professionally.

And of course there's options on speed. If you can accept slower delivery then Thai Post charges are usually much lower than DHL, etc.

• 1 month later...

I also will be sending 3 boxes totaling about 40k to California. There is no hurry and we had planned to use the Thai Post. What I don't understand is how the boxes, once they arrive at a port in Southern California, get delivered to a house address in Southern Califonia. If that final delivery becomes the responsibilty of the U.S. Postal Service, how do we arrange for that? The Thai Post Office here in Mahasarakham was not able to explain this to my Thai wife. Any clarification of the process and procedures would be appreciated...............

Thanks, folks. Yes, going to get a US adapter. I know of only two places to ship from: Mail Boxes Etc. at Carrefour and a post office at IT Mall. There is also a local post office around the area.

Well, it might be quite a bit. I haven't put them in boxes yet (still figuring out where to get those!). Where can I find a freigh consolidator?

And no, am not in a hurry. So I don't mind freight so long as stuff is safe. :)

Dont use Mail Boxes etc at Carefore or tesco they are not govt post office ,these are very expensive eg 20kg to australia 9000 baht from mail boxes and 20 kilo from thailand post office prakanong 3000 baht