Mushy Peas

Spent years getting friends and family to bring over tins of mushy peas and when I run out spent anywhere from 55Bht to 80 Bht for them in the supermarket , then found a quick 2 mins way of making them here a lot cheaper. Buy a can of UFC green peas available in Fooodland, Tops , Friendship at around 18 Bht, open the can and drain off the sugar water, next put just over half the can in a blender and add about four Tablespoons of water, blend until smooth, then add the remainder of the can and blend for a second or so three our four times and take a look, if they look about right great if not blend again but very quickly, more than a couple of seconds at a time and you will have a thick pea soup, also add some salt at a pinch or two to taste, if you like a nice green colour to your Mushy peas add some green food colouring when you blend the first half of the tin, this makes one large or two small portions, I have tried some of the other brands of peas but find that the UFC ones are the best for this.

Edited by pattayaGaz
  • Like 1

Now that's a hot tip!

But how's the taste?

Regards Bojo

Honestly try a can, they come out as good as you will get in your local chippy as long as you don't overblend them. I have an imported blender with the button on that you press and release and so can blend for a fraction of a second or more.

Those UFC peas are like rocks :) Not thought of blending them to make mushies, the taste may be the issue (they don't have any).

Heston Blumenthal method (from here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle631377.ece)

Mushy Peas

Serves 4-6

475g frozen peas (I like Birds Eye)

65g butter

6 mint leaves

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 Defrost the frozen peas in a large pot filled with cool water — this should take a only few minutes. Strain, shaking off as much excess water as possible.

2 Reserve about one-fifth of the peas.Place the remaining peas into a sauté pan, along with the butter and 50ml water. Cook over a medium heat until all the water has evaporated and the peas are cooked through. If your water is very hard, it would be best to buy some bottled water (or, even better, de-ionized car-battery water) to use when cooking the peas, as this will help to keep their colour bright green.

3 Place the cooked peas into a blender (or use a stick blender) and purée. While blending, adjust the taste by adding the mint leaves and the salt and pepper.

4 Fold in the reserved peas and serve.

Those UFC peas are like rocks :) Not thought of blending them to make mushies, the taste may be the issue (they don't have any).

Heston Blumenthal method (from here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle631377.ece)

Mushy Peas

Serves 4-6

475g frozen peas (I like Birds Eye)

65g butter

6 mint leaves

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 Defrost the frozen peas in a large pot filled with cool water — this should take a only few minutes. Strain, shaking off as much excess water as possible.

2 Reserve about one-fifth of the peas.Place the remaining peas into a sauté pan, along with the butter and 50ml water. Cook over a medium heat until all the water has evaporated and the peas are cooked through. If your water is very hard, it would be best to buy some bottled water (or, even better, de-ionized car-battery water) to use when cooking the peas, as this will help to keep their colour bright green.

3 Place the cooked peas into a blender (or use a stick blender) and purée. While blending, adjust the taste by adding the mint leaves and the salt and pepper.

4 Fold in the reserved peas and serve.

Your right they are like rocks and wouldn't buy them for any other purpose, but they are processed peas and not garden peas which I think make the best mushies, I brought another can tonight in Tesco for 17 Bht just give them a go, to me they dont taste far off the Batchelors brand and they taste better than the Aussie brand that they used to sell in Friendship, which has now replaced those with Cross&Blackwell brand which are far too runny and you have to thicken them up, they are 55Bht and the Batchelors in Villa where 80Bht but have not seen any in the Pattaya branch recently, as for adding mint to them that's OK with lamb but not with Fish&Chips.

I am working in NZ at a small town/city called Taupo.

Beautiful place but dam_n cold in winter.

I just bought for the equivalent of 20 baht a small tin of Batchelors original mushy peas.

They seem to be made with Marrowfat processed peas and made in the UK at Spalding, Lincoln and impoted to NZ.

My problem is whether to eat them properly, cold from the tin or buy some fish and chips, then heat the mushy peas and eat together.

I just bought for the equivalent of 20 baht a small tin of Batchelors original mushy peas.

They seem to be made with Marrowfat processed peas and made in the UK at Spalding, Lincoln and impoted to NZ.

My problem is whether to eat them properly, cold from the tin or buy some fish and chips, then heat the mushy peas and eat together.

Definitely COLD from the tin :):D

Batchelors_Original_Mushy_Peas.JPG

Definitely COLD from the tin :):D

Batchelors_Original_Mushy_Peas.JPG

And they look just like that.

A man after my own heart.

A real hero in these modern times when heroism is au fait.

COLD it shall be, possibly for Sunday lunch