Norwegian Woman And American Woman Die Of Unknown Causes on Koh Phi Phi

harrymand

Often even the cheapest hotels and guesthouses leave drinking water in the room as a complimentary courtesy. The cheaper end of the market in Thailand always use drinking water bottles (looking like the real thing) refilled from another source often a big 20 litre bottle or even the nearest standpipe.

If the Laleena does this, I would certainly check the complimentary water if I was an investigator.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Rob. Jill's brother. We still have not heard anything. Also the US Embassy is closed today due to a Thai holiday. I have been following the forum and just wanted thank all of you for showing so much interest. We feel by keeping the story going, the better the chance we have at getting to the real story....how ever long that may be. When we do get anything official I will be sure to add it to our blog.

Warm Regards,

Rob

Welcome aboard, Rob.

I extend my condolences to you and all of Jill's family and friends.

I look forward to your updates and for sharing the information we have with you that has been garnered from many other places.

I hope all posters can keep your presence in mind whenever posting.

Again, welcome, I do surely wish it was under better circumstances.

I second that. I hope the members of this forum keep posting and keep the pressure on the authorities and the embassies to resolve this and get at the truth. that should be the emphasis not going for a damage limitation exercise to protect tourism or moving blame around by speculation.

VG again doing everything they can to scare Norwegians from travelling to Phi Phi.....

And why shouldn't they? I would not go to Phi Phi now, and I live in the LOS... why? Because I know that this sort of thing is not co-incidence. It has to do with the mafia running the place...

Now come on....save the drama. Let's see the facts.

Robb, firstly my sincere thoughts and prayers go out to you and all of Jill's friends and family , who must be in a state of shock. I would send out the same to the friends and family of the Norwegian Girls.

Has anyone seen, heard, or read anything about [the photo in post #133] if there were anyone staying the two rooms directly over the 2 occupied by both of the deceased? If they were occupied it might be worth the time to talk to these occupants. checking for smells or even the state of their health. If they were young people of today, they may have checked out and gone on their merry way, and in true fashion never looking at a media report.

Also on post # 150, the poster sounds knowledgeable enough in his description of the cause of Legionaires Disease. Perhaps poster you state that the disease is transmitted borne on water vapor that is inhaled. How would or would not this be risked by breathing in the water vapor from all these " Misters" that seem to be the rage these days? I mean the kind that are put around outside or semi-outside bars, restaurants, etc to cool down the air and place.

I Look forward to your input and answer.

Legionella is a disease caused by bacteria. You don't die from any (I think?) bacterial disease so fast, in a few hours. All bacteria need time to multiply and cause death. Therefore, some kind of poison, e.g. from the water purification plant perhaps, is much more likely.

Guest house looks small and very run down, especially at the back of it.

We don't know how many people were staying in its 9 rooms. Perhaps the Americans and Norwegians, the only ones as it is the low season..

Something from the air would've surely resulted in more people being sick? It looks like a small guest house. Rooms must be pretty squashed together. Even the owner should be a bit sick. As one poster said, it would have to be a pretty high concentration of any gas, and usually if u have air con you keep the windows closed while electric air cons re-cycle the air in the room, they don't bring in air from out side. The air passes through a coolant while the compressor takes hot air out. Many westerners from cold countries and aren't familiar with air cons think that air cons bring air in from outside.

It's not clear if they Americans were friendly with the Norwegians. Did they go out together?

One of the girls did say that the hamburger tasted a bit strange. Perhaps it did have that Cassava in it as usually a home made burger the meat would be mixed with something whether its soy or potato. In which case, the burgers should be confiscated. Usually a guest house would make several of them and then freeze them.

This is Rob. Jill's brother. We still have not heard anything. Also the US Embassy is closed today due to a Thai holiday. I have been following the forum and just wanted thank all of you for showing so much interest. We feel by keeping the story going, the better the chance we have at getting to the real story....how ever long that may be. When we do get anything official I will be sure to add it to our blog.

Warm Regards,

Rob

Welcome aboard, Rob.

I look forward to your updates and for sharing the information we have with you that has been garnered from many other places.

Bringing in header_cnn_com_logo.gif doesn't hurt...

Questions surround death of Seattle woman at Thai hotel

(CNN) -- The family of a Seattle, Washington, woman is searching for answers after her mysterious death at a resort hotel in Thailand.

Jill St. Onge, 27, died May 2 while at a hotel on Thailand's Phi Phi islands. She became very ill and died before her fiance, Ryan Kells, could get her to a hospital, according to CNN affiliate KOMO.

St. Onge's family members have said that they have had a hard time getting answers about her death.

"It's really bad. It's about the worst thing any of us have ever gone through," Robert St. Onge, Jill's brother, told KOMO.

Another tourist, a 22-year-old Norwegian woman, died at the same resort the same weekend, according to the U.S. Embassy in Thailand.

Norwegian media reported that the woman could have been a victim of food poisoning. Papers in Thailand have questioned whether both women were poisoned.

The U.S. Embassy in Thailand has been working with the St. Onge family on a daily basis.

"We are in contact with police who are investigating this," said embassy spokesman Michael Turner. "The police know we are concerned about this, but as with any investigation, it could take some time."

The results of an autopsy performed overseas are expected in several months, KOMO reported. St. Onge family's has requested blood and tissue samples for an independent analysis.

- CNN / 2009-05-08

Warm Regards, Rob

Warm regards back to you, Rob. Am saddened by your loss.

My gut instinct is to consider the possibility of pesticide or chemical poisoning. The proximity of the waste water suggests that the possibility of cross contamination of the water supply must be ruled out. What is the water supply at this place? if it's well water or pvc piping, the likelihood of contaminant infiltration is an obvious place to look.

It will take a few days to draw water samples and inspect the site, then a few more days to do a basic analysis. Until then, disregard the nonsense being tossed up in the media since the experts won't know for sure, unless they luck out on a random sample. They have to cross check the field samples with the tissue samples and that takes time. You can get a likelihood or best guess at this stage. that's about it.

Geriatrickid, I wish someone like you were in charge of the investigation. Even so, your last 2 sentences imply that 'experts' are doing all they can to determine what happened. One can't be too sure. I, for one, would like to know if 'experts' are indeed on the scene - and whether they're doing a thorough job (and hope they're wearing protective face masks, at least).

Sometimes we read in the news about weird things getting poured in to water containers. This is out of left field, but it's not impossible that someone may have unwittingly (or intentionally?) poured some nasty chemical like insecticide in to the water system and/or water bottles.

I've done some research on Legionnaires, and it appears unlikely, as L.disease is like a bad flu which takes several days/weeks to become fatal. The damages done last weekend happened in hours - very fast acting - especially when resulting in fatalities in otherwise healthy young folks.

Warm Regards,

Rob

Sorry for your loss.

Im also sorry to say that I am not as optimistic as Geriatric Kid when he suggests experts are doing their best "professional" jobs to find out what happened..... this is Thailand, Professionalism and proper procedure and actually wanting to find the truth are not common. More common is incompetence and saving face by blaming foreigners and hiding facts to cover up any mistakes actually made by Thais. I have read these stories over and over again the last 5 years I've been here, whether foreigners are getting shot in the face or poisoned or thrown off their balcony or run over in Thailand, it's always a ridiculous game of cover up and misinformation with fingers being pointed towards the victim as the one to blame. Half this board will wholeheartedly agree with me, the other half will violently condemn me for saying this. I have no advice to give you, I just wanted to warn you and explain the complications you will have to endure in the near future. I'm so sorry.

VG again doing everything they can to scare Norwegians from travelling to Phi Phi.....

And why shouldn't they? I would not go to Phi Phi now, and I live in the LOS... why? Because I know that this sort of thing is not co-incidence. It has to do with the mafia running the place...

Now come on....save the drama. Let's see the facts.

it is not a drama. the facts are available on a number of internet sites and other documented reports. and if you live in the real thailand with ordinary thais you would not have made such a naive statement.

One would think that knowing some gas/food/drink/bacteria/virus had killed and caused sever symptoms to guests at the guest house over a period of time lasting at least a month and maybe far longer, it would have also caused at the very least symptoms of mild discomfort to cleaners and other workers and the family of the owners at some time.

Thus the rapidity in which the guesthouse has been reopened would suggest the owners know what the problem is and how to avoid it.

Warm Regards,

Rob

Welcome aboard, Rob.

After viewing this news, I went and lit a candle for your sister's cremation tonight, Rob. Her spirit is free now.

Many people's thoughts are with your whole family.

050709_KFSN_ThailandDeath-Deshaunta.jpg

* Woman's Mysterious Death in Thailand

ABC-TV Channel 30 Video News 05-07-2009

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/video?id=6802330

My condolences to the family and friends of those lost in this tragic incident, and the previous incidents.

A couple of observations. It seems unlikely that air-borne cyanide poisoned these unfortunate people -- cyanide does not have an odour which causes people to hide under the bedsheets. The symptoms are utterly unlike fugu (puffer fish) poisoning.

It is much more likely to have been an ingested substance, food or drink. The speed of the collapse indicates something very virulent, above and beyond the normal stomach bugs in this region.

I only hope the Thai authorities will realise that full, transparent investigation and subsequent honest disclosure of their findings will ultimately be much better for them than any less open course of action they might be under pressure to consider.

Online translation of Norwegian news source:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/uriks/article3063722.ece

BANGKOK / OSLO (Aftenposten.no): forensic institute in Bangkok yesterday conducted an autopsy of the deceased Julie Bergheim (22). A doctor's report that she died of acute gastric inflammation, but the police deny that they have found blåsyre in her stomach.

Died Monday night at Julie Michelle Bergheim (22) from Drammen in a hospital in Thailand, after having been acutely ill in the popular resort of Phi Phi Islands. Only a day earlier died also U.S. Sheree Jill St. Onge (27) with similar symptoms.

Aftenposten.no has now been given access to the first medical report after BERGHEIM deaths, where it is recorded that the woman died of acute gastritis - an inflammation of the stomach. Other symptoms such as stated in the medical report is that the woman was dehydrated, in shock, hyper-ventilated and suffered heavy vomiting. Finally she died of hjertestans, according to the report.

Acute gastritis, as stated to be the cause of death in the first medical report, may occur due to strong spices, irritating medications or alcohol. The woman has not been inflicted with some form of external violence, according to the report.

Pending test results Aftenposten.no has also been in contact with the forensic department at the police hospital in Bangkok, that the autopsy conducted Wednesday by the Norwegian and the American woman. Dr. Narongsak Saowaphol performed the autopsy of the woman, while Dr. Virun Suphasingsiripreecha at the institute performed the autopsy of the American woman.

The article continues below the image.

_F-Br_dtekst-leger_1026312g.jpg

Here is an excerpt from the first medical report after BERGHEIM death.

According to their records, she died as a result of breathing difficulties and weakness in the blood system.

The cause of death, however, is highly unclear.

- Doctors have taken samples of blood, urine, and other fluids in her body, which is sent for analysis by a laboratory. It is too early to say what might be the cause of death.

Analysis results are first ready in about two weeks, "said a source at the hospital, who wishes to remain anonymous.

- It is too early to say whether there are harmful substances in her body," says the source of Aftenposten.no

Not found cyanide

Manager has interviewed former Police Nopadon Klomtong on the Phi Phi islands, where they have quoted him on that it was found blåsyre in BERGHEIM stomach.

Aftenposten.no to reject the Police that he has said this, and says he feels misqouted.

- I have not said that there was cyanide in the stomach. I have only said that it looked like she might have been poisoned by cyanide, says Nopadon Klomtong to Aftenposten.no.

The Doctor Bunch Khakong by health authorities in Krabi denies that it was blåsyre which took the lives of the two women on Phi-Phi - Islands in Thailand.

Both the police and health authorities recognize that it is mysterious that the two young women, who have lived in the same hotel, has died under such circumstances.

Also BERGHEIM girlfriend were acutely sick with similar symptoms, but she is now on the improvement path. Despite the mysterious circumstances, is, however, the police clear that they do not suspect that they are face a kriminalsaker.

Aftenposten.no has the last few days talking with several investigators who work and have worked with the matter. They reject certain that it is a murder, and stressed that there is no suspicion that there has been any criminal.

- There is no crime investigation.

We do not want to speculate what the cause of death.

Now we must await the test results from the autopsy, said police Lieutenant Phananthan, at the police station in Krabi, to Aftenposten.no.

The police major Prasit Yodthong at Krabi police deny that they face a kriminalsaker. - We are waiting for a response from the samples. It may take over ten days before we get a response, so I will not comment on anything until we know something more, "he said.

The police will not comment on whether they suspect there may be talk about matforgiftning or someone may have poisoned food or their drink.

The police deny that they may have been in the blåsyre through drinking water. Prasit Yodthong says that experts from the Thai health authorities have been called in to take samples of water cleansing facility on Phi Phi Islands, that have made some discoveries of blåsyre.

Does anyone know when/if the 19-year-old Norwegian woman traveling with Miss Bergheim will make a statement of some sort? Would be informative to know what her symptoms were, and what treatment the hospital gave her. I believe I read that she is on her way back to her home country? The most relevant information seems to be coming from those who were directly involved, after all.

Our condolences to all the families involved in this sad affair. Our thoughts are with you, and we hope you will find some answers eventually.

The amereican gentleman who,s girlfriend died stated that he could smell gas in the hotel room when they first entered.

Refridgerant gasses are heavier than air and would therefore remain near the floor / bed level of a room. I wonder if the police have had the air conditioning units checked out for leaks and if any maintainance has been done to them recently.

A quick look at R134a & R12 safety documents a pretty damming about inhaling the gases. The links below are worth looking at

To quote on one, when they asked a poisons control centre what would happen if you were to inhale HFC-134a?

They replied "DON'T DO IT--RAPID HEART RATE--SUDDEN DEATH"

http ://gpi-web.generalparts.com/MSDS/R12.pdf

http ://au.geocities.com/OZBRICK850/interior-r134.html

Edited by philipwooduk

"Aftenposten.no has now been given access to the first medical report after BERGHEIM deaths, where it is recorded that the woman died of acute gastritis - an inflammation of the stomach. Other symptoms such as stated in the medical report is that the woman was dehydrated, in shock, hyper-ventilated and suffered heavy vomiting. Finally she died of hjertestans, according to the report.

Acute gastritis, as stated to be the cause of death in the first medical report, may occur due to strong spices, irritating medications or alcohol. The woman has not been inflicted with some form of external violence, according to the report."

It is very hard to imagine that an otherwise healthy 20 y.o. women should die from these reasons. Actually, it is hard to believe that anybody should die within hours because of acute gastritis, especially if he/she is receiving medical treatment.

Edited by uhuh

Ok lets look at the facts. These 2 rooms are right next to each other and all 4 inhabitants have been violently sick and 2 have died. So why are police visiting local bars and taking samples? Madness! There would be hundreds more cases of people being sick if that was the problem.

Quite clearly the cause is within these 2 rooms or immediately outside!!

When we get sick or feel dehydrated we naturally drink a lot of water, where did they obtain this water? Was it this risky water that we are seeing more and more here from these machines?

Can these stories about "a strange chemical type smell be confirmed? if so I think we have the answer.

Excactly , when you have these kind of circumstances , with 4 people staying in the same guest house , 2 have died and the police are checking out the bars ?

I really hope they have experts to deal with this , and the guest house already open for guests again? :)

Edited by balo

Ok lets look at the facts. These 2 rooms are right next to each other and all 4 inhabitants have been violently sick and 2 have died. So why are police visiting local bars and taking samples? Madness! There would be hundreds more cases of people being sick if that was the problem.

Quite clearly the cause is within these 2 rooms or immediately outside!!

When we get sick or feel dehydrated we naturally drink a lot of water, where did they obtain this water? Was it this risky water that we are seeing more and more here from these machines?

Can these stories about "a strange chemical type smell be confirmed? if so I think we have the answer.

Excactly , when you have these kind of circumstances , with 4 people staying in the same guest house , 2 have died and the police are checking out the bars ?

I really hope they have experts to deal with this , and the guest house already open for guests again? :)

BALO. Please translate the article from to days Nettavisen.no when you have time. There is one expert says that there is nearly impossible that the gas from a water plant 20 meter away can cause death.

is any T.Visa member in Phi Phi. Suggest he/she take a stroll to the guest house site and report whether there seems to be an investigation going on. As far as I can gather, we haven't heard a peep about whether there is actually an investigation in progress. We can assume that a thorough investigation is going on, but assumption doesn't equal reality. Plus, who's leading the investigation? Are there foreign experts involved? Are there further indications of a cover-up?

Also, did the guest house owner have any enemies? Sabotage (of his water system) might be far-fetched, but not out of the question. For comparison, several months ago, a farang was shot and killed while riding as a passenger in a Chiang Mai taxi. It was surmised that the taxi driver was driving in a competing taxi driver's territory. Gives new meaning to 'collateral damage.'

Warm Regards,

Rob

Welcome aboard, Rob.

After viewing this news, I went and lit a candle for your sister's cremation tonight, Rob. Her spirit is free now.

Many people's thoughts are with your whole family.

050709_KFSN_ThailandDeath-Deshaunta.jpg

* Woman's Mysterious Death in Thailand

ABC-TV Channel 30 Video News 05-07-2009

Thank you. We have a candle going as well. Nothing new to report. Ryan has Jill's ashes. Ryan and his parents are trying to get a flight back to the States.

jillstonge.blogspot.com

Jill and Ryan's travel blog for those that might not have seen it. They really loved Thailand. ---> bluemarbletrotter.blogspot.com

Rob

Great idea to have someone on the ground check out the scene.

I wonder if there was mailicious intent involved. We all know there are many in this fair land who keep their emotions bottled up but when offended i.e. lose face, quite drastic consequences can follow. There have been many tales related about spiking of drinks for financial gain so it could easily be done for another reason.

I hope the comments posted here will give the families heart that there is genuine concern & despite the grief they must be feeling the truth will eventually come out.

One would think that knowing some gas/food/drink/bacteria/virus had killed and caused sever symptoms to guests at the guest house over a period of time lasting at least a month and maybe far longer, it would have also caused at the very least symptoms of mild discomfort to cleaners and other workers and the family of the owners at some time.

Thus the rapidity in which the guesthouse has been reopened would suggest the owners know what the problem is and how to avoid it.

This is speculation based on false information gleaned from rumour.

The Norwegian man who died April 1 ( from food poisoning, the head med. has stated) was not even in the same bungalows

Thus , convicting the bungalow owner is rather irresponsible at this point .

What is missing from international reports; two friends of the deceased who were also sickened and the un- ID'd male foreign body found May 1

phuket-The-area-behind-Laleena-gues.jpg

The area behind Laleena guesthouse

No evidence of poisoning in Phi Phi tourist deaths

KRABI: Following the mysterious deaths on Phi Phi Island of three foreign tourists in just over a month, Krabi police and doctors are still unable to explain how the American and two Norwegians became fatally ill.

Contrary to an initial local blog entry speculating that cyanide poisoning may have been the cause of the deaths, Krabi police told a Gazette reporter who went to Phi Phi Island today that no evidence has been found to indicate poisoning in any of the three victims and that the initial blog report was false. That report was the result of a misunderstanding by the blogger, police said, adding that the blogger responsible had since returned to the police station to apologize for the mistake.

Since the deaths, Krabi Public Health officers have inspected the guesthouses and rooms previously occupied by the victims. According to police, the health officers could not find anything to indicate that any hazardous substances had contaminated the guesthouses' air-conditioning units, water supply or food. Both guesthouses remain open for business.

In attempts to gather more clues as to the mystery deaths, a team of police officers yesterday inspected bars in the tourist area and took samples of the drinks on sale to be sent for laboratory tests, as two of the victims had reportedly visited a number of bars the night they fell ill. Police are still waiting for the test results.

One of the bar owners who spoke with the Gazette said that the deaths were a mystery to everyone and that nothing of this nature had ever happened before.

Norwegian tourist Erik Liuhagen, 48, died on April 1 at 8am after being admitted to hospital with severe diarrhea. He had been staying in room 119 at the beach-front guesthouse Phi Phi Villa. His body was sent to Bangkok the next day for an autopsy, the results of which have not yet been released, Krabi police told the Gazette.

Just over one month later, on May 3, 26-year-old American tourists Ryan Kells and Jill St. Onge both became ill and were admitted to Krabi Hospital. The pair had been vomiting for some time before going to the hospital. Ms St. Onge died later that day. Mr Kells survived the illness.

According to police, the pair were engaged to be married and had been staying at Laleena Guesthouse, which is about 1.5km from where Mr Liuhagen had stayed.

On May 4, Norwegian Julie Michelle Bergheim who had also been staying at Laleena guesthouse in the room adjacent to Ryan Kells & Ms St. Onge's room died after becoming mysteriously ill with severe vomiting. She died in hospital while talking to police, a short while after being admitted.

Investigations continue.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-07

Inspectors really need to do as good a job as they possibly can.

For Thai audience, it may suffice to have it remain an unsolved mystery.

But farang watchers know, if there's a thorough & scientific investigation, a cause (for the deaths) will be found.

just spit balling here

it is not uncommon for people to get gastroenteritis on holiday and then become dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhoea. some people are able to rehydrate and keep those fluids in while others need to go on a drip. Could the fault lay at the door of the hospital for wrong treatments? Would dehydration alone kill someone so quickly?

I have not read the whole thread so if a cause has been determined forgive me.

I hope the family get answers and my sympathies go to them

I fully agree with you uhuh!

The medical report very much reminds me of what I usually get when I go to see a doctor.

After sitting down for two minutes and talking to the doctor, he/she writes out the diagnose (without testing anything except blood pressure).

To me, this is complete incompetency. I don't think it is possible to diognose something by looking into someones eyes.

I truly hope that this has not been the case with this handwritten and unprofessional looking autopsy report. And I tend to believe that the cause of death is something completely different.

I strongly advise the families and friends to do everything they can to get an independent report as well.

My condolences to you Rob and your family.

The amereican gentleman who,s girlfriend died stated that he could smell gas in the hotel room when they first entered.

Refridgerant gasses are heavier than air and would therefore remain near the floor / bed level of a room. I wonder if the police have had the air conditioning units checked out for leaks and if any maintainance has been done to them recently.

A quick look at R134a & R12 safety documents a pretty damming about inhaling the gases. The links below are worth looking at

To quote on one, when they asked a poisons control centre what would happen if you were to inhale HFC-134a?

They replied "DON'T DO IT--RAPID HEART RATE--SUDDEN DEATH"

http ://gpi-web.generalparts.com/MSDS/R12.pdf

http ://au.geocities.com/OZBRICK850/interior-r134.html

Which doesn't fit with he symptoms- extreme vomiting and pain for many hours ..

...which in turn MAY lead to severe de-hydration ? Stress from pain leading to hyperventilation? Which both in turn , MAY lead to heart failure.

I believe the report stated on Andaman Times is the same as the Norway report ( Source: Aftenposten.no)

and it is clearly stated ; PRELIMINARY REPORT ON CAUSE OF DEATH

It would seem we now know the mechanism of death, but not what started the reaction .

"The preliminary autopsy report of the Norwegian who died at Phi Phi island shows possible causes of the death. Inflammation of the lining of the stomach (acute gastritis) combined with severe dehydration and vomiting may turn out to be the official cause.

portraitjuliemichellebergheim2.png It will take two to four weeks before the final autopsy report is ready, but the preliminary report shows that the 22 year old Julie Michelle Bergheim suffered acute gastritis, combined with severe dehydration, vomiting and hyperventilation syndrome before she died."

And as added note, because this is a common prank and the symptoms fit. ( particularly turning blue as the American women was reported to have done )

Visine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A common urban legend is that a few drops of Visine in an unsuspecting victim's drink will cause a harmless bout of diarrhea. This will not produce diarrhea, but oral administration of Visine can induce dangerous side effects related to Visine's ingredient tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride such as:

• Blurred vision

• Difficulty in breathing or even a complete halt in breathing

Edited by CFIT

phuket-The-area-behind-Laleena-gues.jpg

The area behind Laleena guesthouse

Just to add some information on the water treatment plant. The plant was built after the Tsunami (I think in 2005) so is not very old. It was constructed using donated funds by a Scandinavian company, or is at least of Scandinavian design. It is a bio filter plant whereas the waste water (not sewerage) is piped onto filter beds covering a large area, probably equivalent to 6 tennis courts. The water seeps down through the filter beds which remove nitrates and other contaminants. Flowers are grown on the filter beds that feed off the removed minerals. There is a large plaque next to the plant that states who built the plant and explains how it works. If I remember correctly NO chemicals are used in the process it is purely biological filtration. I lived very close to the plant for some time and never noticed even a slight odour being given off. The water supply in my bungalow and I believe for all this area was supplied from wells

If you look at the above picture the building with the green roof is the pumping station and the area between the guesthouse and the building and also off picture to the right is the filter beds.

Pure speculation follows...

I am no expert on this type of treatment plant but I will say that the island of Phi Phi has been way over developed for the natural resources to cope with. It is entirely possible that the plant is being made to cope with a lot more waste than it was designed for.

Could it be possible that the processes have been tampered with to give the plant an increased capacity and what would be the knock on effect of doing this ?????