Norwegian Woman And American Woman Die Of Unknown Causes on Koh Phi Phi

harrymand

Sickens me that the owner repeatedly is trying to blame drinking and partying as a cause of DEATH for 2 seperate people that didn't associate and 2 others getting sick at the same time. Guy deserves some form of punishment just for saying that.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle woman dies from unknown causes in Thailand

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...syndication=rss

BANGKOK —

Two young women - one from the United States and the other from Norway - died after suddenly falling ill within hours of each other at a guesthouse on a tourist resort island in southern Thailand.

Police said Thursday they did not know the cause of the deaths, though various theories have circulated, including food or alcohol poisoning and toxic fumes.

The two women were staying on Koh Phi Phi, a popular destination for budget travelers. The American was identified by her family as Jill St. Onge, 27, a bartender and artist from Seattle, who died Sunday.

Norwegian media and the Web newspaper Andaman Times identified the Norwegian as Julie Michelle Bergheim, 22. She died Monday.

Both women, who stayed at the Laleena guesthouse but were not known to have been in contact with each other, suffered severe vomiting and stomach pains.

Another 19-year-old Norwegian woman staying with Bergheim also fell ill with the same symptoms but survived. She was recovering in intensive care at a hospital.

Doctors said the women died at a hospital on Phi Phi "due to dehydration and shock," Police Capt. Pantanan Santhong said.

"Right now, we do not have any further information on what happened and how it happened," Pantanan said. "We are investigating."

The bodies were taken to the Thai capital Bangkok for autopsies but no results were available Thursday.

St. Onge's fiance, Ryan Kells, who was with her, said in a blog entry they both became sick after eating dinner together, though he recovered.

Few details were available about Bergheim, who Norwegian media said came from Drammen, near Oslo. "I don't know if it was something she ate or if it was because she went out to party," guesthouse owner Asan Buntam said.

Calm down. The hotel name has been posted a half dozen times already. It's Laleena House... and it's closed.... so no one is staying there.

Within the course or two redundant threads (one in T.Visa's Phuket news) - this is first mention I've heard of the guest house being closed. Whew.... good to hear.

The guesthouse re-opened today after being closed for 3 days, according to VG.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/artikkel.php?artid=563015

Better safe than sorry,..... :)

Sickens me that the owner repeatedly is trying to blame drinking and partying as a cause of DEATH for 2 seperate people that didn't associate and 2 others getting sick at the same time. Guy deserves some form of punishment just for saying that.

Most of the inhabitant at the island is muslims, so they will blame it on drinking alcohol or eating pork!

I can not helping thinking what would happen if the young womens that died had been alone! Taken on a boat and dumped in the sea for sure! I hope that the doctors who examain the bodys will find out what happen, and tell the TRUTH! Don't listen to the police and the locals.

I send my condolence(s) to the relatives, and hope that you will have an answer to your questions, so we can close this topic, and hope that have a holyday in this beautyful country will be something it ment to be, pleasure and joy.........

Hi,

initially it was reported that the 2 couples stayed in the SAME ROOM .......

Can you please tell us WHICH HOTEL???

What kind of oversight is this? Should we 'keep the reputation of this establishment intact'???

Food poisoning, or air conditioner....I DO NOT WANT MYSELF OR FAMILY OR FRIENDS STAYING THERE...

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOTEL IN QUESTION???

Thank you,

S

The hotel has been named on numerous occasions. Just read the entire thread!

What happened to the radiation poisoning theory? Incredible!!!!

Edited by Arandora

Thursday, May 7, 2009

No evidence of poisoning in Phi Phi tourist deaths

phuket-Laleena-Guesthouse-on-Phi-Phi-where-two-tourists-have-died-from-mystery-illnesses-7321-1-kTHysAX.jpgLaleena Guesthouse on Phi Phi, where two tourists stayed before dying from mystery illnesses.

phuket-The-area-behind-Laleena-guesthouse-7321-4-lLutixT.jpgThe area behind Laleena guesthouse

KRABI: Following the mysterious deaths on Phi Phi Island of three foreign tourists in just over a month, Krabi police and doctors are still unable to explain how the American and two Norwegians became fatally ill.

Contrary to initial media reports of possible cyanide poisoning as the cause of the deaths, Krabi police told the Gazette that no evidence has been found to indicate poisoning in any of the three victims and that the initial media report was false. That report was the result of a misunderstanding between the police and the reporter, police said, adding that the reporter responsible has since returned to the police station to apologize for the mistake.

Since the deaths, Krabi Public Health Authority officers have inspected the guesthouses and rooms previously occupied by the victims. According to police, the health officers could not find anything to indicate that any hazardous substances had contaminated the guesthouses’ air-conditioning units, water supply or food. Both guesthouses remain open for business.

In attempts to gather more clues as to the mystery deaths, a team of police officers yesterday inspected bars in the tourist area and took samples of the drinks on sale to be sent for laboratory tests, as two of the victims had reportedly visited a number of bars the night they fell ill. Police are still waiting for the test results.

One of the bar owners who spoke with Gazette reporters said that the deaths were a mystery to everyone and that nothing of this nature had happened before.

Norwegian tourist Erik Liuhagen, 48, died on April 1 at 8am after being admitted to hospital with severe diarrhea. He had been staying in room 119 at the beach-front guesthouse Phi Phi Villa. His body was sent to Bangkok the next day for an autopsy, the results of which have not yet been released, Krabi police told the Gazette.

Just over one month later, on May 3, 26-year-old American tourists Ryan Kells and Jill St. Onge both became ill and were admitted to Krabi Hospital. The pair had been vomiting for some time before going to hospital. Ms St. Onge died later that day. Mr Kells survived the illness.

According to police, the pair were engaged to be married and had been staying at Laleena Guesthouse, which is about 1.5km from where Mr Liuhagen had stayed.

On May 4, Norwegian Julie Michelle Bergheim – who had also been staying at Laleena guesthouse in the room adjacent to Ryan Kells’ & Ms St. Onge’s room – died after becoming mysteriously ill with severe vomiting. She died in hospital while talking to police, a short while after being admitted.

Investigations continue.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-07

– Khunakorn Terdkiatkhachorn

I can't believe the guest house is open again. Even the inspectors (if there are any at the site) should be wearing breathing masks.

As for Thai police/inspectors. They have a habit of throwing out hare brained theories, which the press take on and publish as factoids. Examples:

>>> initially, we hear it's food poisoning, now that appears doubtful.

>>> Then we hear a medical mention of cyanide found in one woman's stomach. Now, no mention of cyanide.

>>> One of the latest culprits is some sort of fruit. Others have mentioned alcoholic drinks.

It's as though authorities throw a couple 'canards' out each day, and hope that either A. it sticks, or B. the public will be overwhelmed with the cloud of theories, and go on to other things. Of course, Phi Phi residents in particular and TAT in general want this to blow over a.s.a.p. Image takes precedence over substance in LOS. Alongside the official unmentioned policy of trying to 'sweep it under the rug' - is the immense time lag. The earlier death of the Norwegian man was April 1, yet even after 5 weeks, we're told to wait additional weeks/months for an autopsy report. How many weeks/months must go by before getting an qualified report on the two unfortunate women of late? These gross time delays show two basic things:

1. inept professionals

2. a policy of putting off, as long as possible - in the hope that the public's attention span will lag, and the whole messy business of mysterious deaths at tourist resorts will dissipate.

Plus, as any crime scene investigator knows, the longer the investigation is put off, the 'colder' the scene becomes (less clues, fewer and less reliable witnesses, etc). Same goes for medical disaster scenes.

The other Norwegian woman needs to come forward and tell her story.

Most importantly, the guest house has to be closed - and thoroughly investigated, including surrounding area.

:)

Okay everyone I am not a doctor and I am not trying to cause a panic but look at the connection with the air-conditioning in the two rooms...which as I understand are most likely located next to each other in that guesthouse.

here is a link that may be of interest.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/legionnai...c.html#Symptoms

It is about Legionaires Disease named for being first found in a motel where the American Legion (a veterens organization) was having a convention.

Legionnaires' disease is a common name for one of the several illnesses caused by Legionnaires' disease bacteria (LDB). Legionnaires' disease is an infection of the lungs and is a form of pneumonia. More than 43 species of Legionella have been identified and more than 20 linked with human diseases. Legionellosis is the term for the diseases produced by LDB. In addition to Legionnaires' disease, the same bacteria also cause a flu-like disease called Pontiac fever.

It is often spread by air conditioning units in which the air filtering is contaminated with the bacteria involved or where the bacteria is growing in or on the cooling units of the air conditioner.

This is a relatively rare and unusual disease, and the Thai authorities may not be aware of the possibility. It has occured in the U.S. before in hotels/motels where air conditioning units have not been properly cleaned...and fungus or mold is present in the air conditioning system.

THe link above comes from www.osha.gov the U.S Occupational and Health Agency.

As I said I'm not a doctor but this sounds like Legionaires Disease...because of the air conditioning and respiratory disease/fever. Ons of the symptoms of Legionaires Disease is also vomiting and diarrhea (see symptoms in link above).

:D

^ I think Legionaires is more of a respiratory infection and takes a bit longer to kill from onset of symptoms.

This post from another source is a great example of how rumour, repeated- gets to be fact.

And then the,"fact" gets built upon ..

Now it's a root vegetable !!!

ScandAsia.Com - Cassava-poisoning could explain the dead of Norwegian

Cassava-poisoning could explain the dead of Norwegian By Charlotte Lund Dideriksen

full_news_3499.jpg

"The Thai authorities.... [ Who? When ? Unsourced and most likely, pure conjecture ..]

....now suspect cassava, a very common vegetable in the Asian kitchen, to be the killer of the two tourists on Phi Phi. The plant has previously coursed the dead of Philippine children. Cassava can produce the poisonous Prussic acid when not cooked probably – to have coursed the decease of the twenty-two-year-old Norwegian girl Julie Michelle Bergheim and the twenty-six-year-old Jill st. Onge from USA, who recently died after massive pains in their stomachs on the same hotel on the Phi Phi Island in Thailand.

The police have now confirmed that there has been found cyanide – a biproduct of Prussic acid in the stomachs of both women. That has led to the theory of the Cassava-poisoning. Due to investigation bars and restaurants on the island has been examined, and the hotel where the women stayed is temporary closed."

Edited by CFIT

:)

Okay everyone I am not a doctor and I am not trying to cause a panic but look at the connection with the air-conditioning in the two rooms...which as I understand are most likely located next to each other in that guesthouse.

here is a link that may be of interest.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/legionnai...c.html#Symptoms

It is about Legionaires Disease named for being first found in a motel where the American Legion (a veterens organization) was having a convention.

Legionnaires' disease is a common name for one of the several illnesses caused by Legionnaires' disease bacteria (LDB). Legionnaires' disease is an infection of the lungs and is a form of pneumonia. More than 43 species of Legionella have been identified and more than 20 linked with human diseases. Legionellosis is the term for the diseases produced by LDB. In addition to Legionnaires' disease, the same bacteria also cause a flu-like disease called Pontiac fever.

It is often spread by air conditioning units in which the air filtering is contaminated with the bacteria involved or where the bacteria is growing in or on the cooling units of the air conditioner.

This is a relatively rare and unusual disease, and the Thai authorities may not be aware of the possibility. It has occured in the U.S. before in hotels/motels where air conditioning units have not been properly cleaned...and fungus or mold is present in the air conditioning system.

THe link above comes from www.osha.gov the U.S Occupational and Health Agency.

As I said I'm not a doctor but this sounds like Legionaires Disease...because of the air conditioning and respiratory disease/fever. Ons of the symptoms of Legionaires Disease is also vomiting and diarrhea (see symptoms in link above).

:D

[/quote

I believe legionaires Disease is mainly associated with evaporative air con systems, not refridgerated. It certainly sounds like an ingested bug that caused nausea and diahorrea, leading to dehydration and hypovolemic shock. Still its shocking news, RIP to the deceased and condolences to the families.

Edited by waza

This is Rob. Jill's brother. We still have not heard anything. Also the US Embassy is closed today due to a Thai holiday. I have been following the forum and just wanted thank all of you for showing so much interest. We feel by keeping the story going, the better the chance we have at getting to the real story....how ever long that may be. When we do get anything official I will be sure to add it to our blog.

Warm Regards,

Rob

^^

Diahorrea has not been mentioned in ANY report.

However The Gazette may be taking swipes at Andaman Times and omitting/negating the info that The A Times initially reported, and now that's its partnered with TV, is it now saying TV is now the most trustworthy source ? YIKES ...

See, this is how media consolidation is a bad thing...

The Andaman-Times says its source , the Norwegian report, stands by its report; cyanide WAS found...

Many substances can create cyanide as a by- product

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7318

"A local blog had readers of the ThaiVisa.com forum in a furore [sic] following publication of a report in which it was suggested that one of the deceased women had been drinking heavily in the hours leading up to her death, an assertion which the woman's fiance vehemently knocks back. The blogger has since deleted the report from his Web.

Meanwhile, the popular ThaiVisa site was abuzz with speculation as to the true cause, or causes, of the serial tragedies on Phi Phi. Poisoned drinks, faulty air conditioning, carbon monoxide and chemicals from a water treatment plant have all been mentioned as possible causes.

For details of the "shoot now/aim later" report filed earlier today on the blog, and to keep abreast of developments as they unfold on Phi Phi Island, Gazette readers may wish to scan through the ThaiVisa postings here. Or visit the Phuket Gazette/ThaiVisa Phuket Forum for other developments and news related to the Andaman region.

Edited by CFIT

Norwegian tourist Erik Liuhagen, 48, died on April 1 at 8am after being admitted to hospital with severe diarrhea. He had been staying in room 119 at the beach-front guesthouse Phi Phi Villa. His body was sent to Bangkok the next day for an autopsy, the results of which have not yet been released, Krabi police told the Gazette.
A review of the people involved. If our Norwegian members can confirm about #2's name and that #4 and #5 have been unnamed.

1. The Norwegian woman, of the OP that died, is Julie Michelle Bergheim.

2. The Norwegian woman, that was Julie's companion and got severely ill but survived, identified as "Venninnen"?

3. The American woman, that died at the same guesthouse, is Jill Sheree St. Onge.

4. There was another Norwegian woman, at the same guesthouse that died in April, is unnamed. Her autopsy is not ready.

5. There was a 46 year-old Norwegian man, that died also in April, is unnamed.

6. There is an unidentified nationality man, that died this month, and found in the waters of Phi Phi and is the subject of the separate thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Dead-Foreign...-I-t262091.html

That makes 5 unexplained deaths and 1 nearly died in Phi Phi, all in the very recent past.

I think your # 4 is incorrect, just a Norwegian man in April

A review of the googled-translated (or garbled is more apt) article I got #4 from makes me think it was an error because it's not been repeated elsewhere.

However, with the above latest article and previous articles, we can update the name roster to:

1. The Norwegian woman, of the OP that died, is Julie Michelle Bergheim.

2. The Norwegian woman, that was Julie's companion and got severely ill but survived, identified as "Karina". (Name used in the guesthouse logbook).

3. The American woman, that died at the same guesthouse, is Jill Sheree St. Onge.

4. The American man, that was Jill's fiance and got ill but survived, is Ryan Kells.

5. The Norwegian man, that died in April, is Erik Liuhagen.

6. There is an unidentified nationality man, that died this month, and found in the waters of Phi Phi and is the subject of the separate thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Dead-Foreign...-I-t262091.html

That makes 4 unexplained deaths and 1 who nearly died in Phi Phi, all in the very recent past.

Edited by sriracha john

Ok lets look at the facts. These 2 rooms are right next to each other and all 4 inhabitants have been violently sick and 2 have died. So why are police visiting local bars and taking samples? Madness! There would be hundreds more cases of people being sick if that was the problem.

Quite clearly the cause is within these 2 rooms or immediately outside!!

When we get sick or feel dehydrated we naturally drink a lot of water, where did they obtain this water? Was it this risky water that we are seeing more and more here from these machines?

Can these stories about "a strange chemical type smell be confirmed? if so I think we have the answer.

Please note that a standard autopsy for "uncomplicated" cases takes about 30 days in western countries. Do not confuse a basic post mortem exam with an autopsy. 30 days is a pretty good turnaround because of the serology and cultures that need to be done. In the west, there are line ups for services and the paper work takes time to process. I doubt Thailnd is any better. A complicated case does indeed require 2-6 months if cultures have to be grown and a detailed analysis of tissue undertaken. You can look at the body and see tissue damage sometimes, but you need to find out why the tissues ended up in that way and it is <deleted> tedious to do it. There are no magic machines, just technicians puttering away.

I am at a loss to know how anyone could have conclusively determined there was cyanide in the gut of the deceased. On one hand we have descriptions of the deceased turning "blue" but every 1st year path student knows skin hue is pink or cherry red when cyanide is ingested, not blue. In respect to legionellosis infection, the patients and deceased would have had pneumonia. Again, very different symptoms than what was reported.

So far, everything I have posted has been subsequently confirmed by the authorities. Nothing I am writing is because I have a scoop. Rather, it's just what the case indicates and what one usually sees. The emphasis on the food chain is important because a failure to act could mean that there is a possibility of tainted food still being out there. That is why they are looking at that aspect first. It is not an attempt by the authorities to deflect attention. It is the protocol to be followed.

My gut instinct is to consider the possibility of pesticide or chemical poisoning. The proximity of the waste water suggests that the possibility of cross contamination of the water supply must be ruled out. What is the water supply at this place? if it's well water or pvc piping, the likelihood of contaminant infiltration is an obvious place to look.

It will take a few days to draw water samples and inspect the site, then a few more days to do a basic analysis. Until then, disregard the nonsense being tossed up in the media since the experts won't know for sure, unless they luck out on a random sample. They have to cross check the field samples with the tissue samples and that takes time. You can get a likelihood or best guess at this stage. that's about it.

Phuket had an outbreak of Legionnaires in a Patong hotel in January of 2007

http://www.andamantimes.com/news/phi-phi-deaths-preliminary-autopsy/

Phi Phi deaths: Preliminary autopsy report shows acute gastritis, heart failure

No conclusive answers in the preliminary autopsy report of Norwegian woman who died at Phi Phi last weeknd.

Published by Nadmane Sastarawat - 07/05/2009 - Modified 08/05/2009 The preliminary autopsy report of the Norwegian who died at Phi Phi island shows possible causes of the death. Inflammation of the lining of the stomach (acute gastritis) combined with severe dehydration and vomiting may turn out to be the official cause.

portraitjuliemichellebergheim2.png It will take two to four weeks before the final autopsy report is ready, but the preliminary report shows that the 22 year old Julie Michelle Bergheim suffered acute gastritis, combined with severe dehydration, vomiting and hyperventilation syndrome before she died.

The police is still investigating, but they do not suspect this will turn into a criminal case at this stage. They are awaiting the final autopsy report.

Acute gastritis can be cause by caused by heavy drinking, according to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research:

“The inflammation of gastritis is often the result of infection with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers. However, other factors — such as traumatic injury, regular use of certain pain relievers or drinking too much alcohol — can also contribute to gastritis.”

Phuket Wan writes in the article “Phi Phi Mystery Deaths: The Room Maid’s Account” that the owner of the guest house where the American and Norwegians died, suspects alcohol may have played a part.

The Norwegian newspaper Nettavisen quoted police officer Nopadon Klomtong on Wednesday, where he said that there had been found traces of cyanide in the body of Ms. Bergheim.

Khun Nopadon feels he has been misquoted and tells Aftenposten.no he told Nettavisen “there were symptoms of cyanide poisoning” – not “traces of cyanide”, as widely reported.

The 20 year old friend of Julie Michelle Bergheim will be released from Bangkok Phuket International Hospital Friday morning and is expected to return to Trondelag, in the middle part of Norway immediately.

She was interviewed by police on Thursday and gave her timeline of the events leading up to the death of her close friend.

According to VG Nett they had been eating pizza, pasta and rice the day before they got sick. They had also shared a so-called “bucket” – consisting of Thai whisky, red bull and soda/fruit drinks.

After dinner on Saturday night they visited the local nightspot Reggae at Phi Phi.

Ryan Kells and his fiancée, Jill Sheree St Onge, had not been drinking the night before she became ill. They ate some hamburgers before she got ill and died within ours.

This is Rob. Jill's brother. We still have not heard anything. Also the US Embassy is closed today due to a Thai holiday. I have been following the forum and just wanted thank all of you for showing so much interest. We feel by keeping the story going, the better the chance we have at getting to the real story....how ever long that may be. When we do get anything official I will be sure to add it to our blog.

Warm Regards,

Rob

Welcome aboard, Rob.

I extend my condolences to you and all of Jill's family and friends.

I look forward to your updates and for sharing the information we have with you that has been garnered from many other places.

I hope all posters can keep your presence in mind whenever posting.

Again, welcome, I do surely wish it was under better circumstances.

Edited by sriracha john

Local Thai news here in Trang just said they were at the Andaman Resort in Krabi?? Confusing...

No, that would be the woman found strangled yesterday ( or today? ) on a Krabi beach

I'm not medically trained... But...I would think that a symptom of acute gastritis as described above for the Norwegian woman would not be consistent with someone inhaling some kind of chemical, such as from the nearby water plant.

At the same time, the Seattle woman, by the account of her fiance, had not been drinking any alcohol, such as the "bucket" drinks reportedly shared by the two Norwegian woman.

What all four would have shared in common, though, would have been water and/or some other drinks obtained from the guesthouse where they were staying.

And what methods of investigation did the police on PHI PHI use to rule out toxic chemical? Did they go in there and sniff around?

I have never even seen a police officer use a fingerprint kit, nor even read of fingerprints being taken, which I would imagine is a much less sophisticated vehicle of investigation then some sort of test for toxic gas. HOw did they test for toxic gas and HOW can the guest house be open again?

What will happen when the next person dies?

Thrown out to see?

What did happen with the unidentified body that was floating?

And what about earlier reports of Dr Pornthip? (The one with the funny hair) being involved. That really seems like the only hope...

Robb again so sorry about your loss and the frustration that you must be feeling. Thailand is a developing nation and behaves as one even though the exterior can be give the illusion of a more developed country. The police in Phi Phi and Krabi are not to be trusted. Even Thai people don't like or trust the police.

I wish there was more the expat community could do for you.........

A fine example of inconsistent and slapdash reporting;

No conclusive answers in the preliminary autopsy report of Norwegian woman who died at Phi Phi last weeknd.

Published by Nadmane Sastarawat - 07/05/2009 - Modified 08/05/2009 The preliminary autopsy report of the Norwegian who died at Phi Phi island shows possible causes of the death. Inflammation of the lining of the stomach (acute gastritis) combined with severe dehydration and vomiting may turn out to be the official cause.

No. No and No. the part about the "may turn out" is the reporter's interpretation and not the report's statement. A responsible pathologist would not put that in a report. The acute gastritis would have had to have been brought on by something. What counts here is the UNDERLYING OR PROXIMATE Cause of Death. I feel like screaming at this reporter.

Acute gastritis can be cause by caused by heavy drinking, according to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research:........"The inflammation of gastritis is often the result of infection with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers. However, other factors — such as traumatic injury, regular use of certain pain relievers or drinking too much alcohol — can also contribute to gastritis." Phuket Wan writes in the article "Phi Phi Mystery Deaths: The Room Maid's Account" that the owner of the guest house where the American and Norwegians died, suspects alcohol may have played a part.

Super. Let's blame alcohol. Autopsy report is not ready, but hey, alcohol is a nice way out. Posting the Mayo link and cute editing further the dragging of the deceased through the mud. To set the record straight, I quote from the pathology teaching info readily available to reporters that want to do some research first;

Acute gastritis has a number of causes, including certain drugs; alcohol; bile; ischemia; bacterial, viral, and fungal infections; acute stress (shock); radiation; allergy and food poisoning; and direct trauma. The common mechanism of injury is an imbalance between the aggressive and the defensive factors that maintain the integrity of the gastric lining (mucosa).

One cannot say alcohol is the culprit unless one rules out the other possible causes of the gastritis.

Absolutely disgusting that some media outlets are writing this stuff. I feel for the deceased families that have to endure it.

A fine example of inconsistent and slapdash reporting;

No. No and No. the part about the "may turn out" is the reporter's interpretation and not the report's statement. A responsible pathologist would not put that in a report. The acute gastritis would have had to have been brought on by something. What counts here is the UNDERLYING OR PROXIMATE Cause of Death. I feel like screaming at this reporter.

Acute gastritis can be cause by caused by heavy drinking, according to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research:........"The inflammation of gastritis is often the result of infection with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers. However, other factors — such as traumatic injury, regular use of certain pain relievers or drinking too much alcohol — can also contribute to gastritis." Phuket Wan writes in the article "Phi Phi Mystery Deaths: The Room Maid's Account" that the owner of the guest house where the American and Norwegians died, suspects alcohol may have played a part.

Super. Let's blame alcohol. Autopsy report is not ready, but hey, alcohol is a nice way out. Posting the Mayo link and cute editing further the dragging of the deceased through the mud. To set the record straight, I quote from the pathology teaching info readily available to reporters that want to do some research first;

Acute gastritis has a number of causes, including certain drugs; alcohol; bile; ischemia; bacterial, viral, and fungal infections; acute stress (shock); radiation; allergy and food poisoning; and direct trauma. The common mechanism of injury is an imbalance between the aggressive and the defensive factors that maintain the integrity of the gastric lining (mucosa).

One cannot say alcohol is the culprit unless one rules out the other possible causes of the gastritis.

Absolutely disgusting that some media outlets are writing this stuff. I feel for the deceased families that have to endure it.

Excellent post

Acute gastritis....

All us regular drinkers know it's almost never, I've had food poisoning before, you shit liquid continually and your guts feel like they're passing razor blades. I've never had that feeling from alcohol and I've drunk myself stupid more times than I can remember. This sounds like anti-drinking propaganda.

And in this case 2 people have died in quick succession, and others sick too. No reports of excessive alcohol consumption actually.

It's disgusting that with people dead they're playing smear the ugly falung.

Edited by harrycallahan

Family seeks answers in Seattle artist's death in Thailand

What day is today? Wednesday?

Rob St. Onge has no idea. It's been days since he's really slept, days of devastating news and impossible logistics, of anger and frustration and all-night negotiations with people half a world away. On Saturday, he got word that his sister, Jill St. Onge, a 27-year-old Seattle artist, died mysteriously in Thailand.

It appears she suffered some type of poisoning, Rob St. Onge says. Which is, of course, bad enough. The fact that this occurred on the other side of the globe makes it all the more terrible.

He and the rest of the family want answers. But how can they know if they're getting the truth?

"We have no idea how they operate," said St. Onge, who lives near Fresno, Calif. "We can't just go in there like John Wayne demanding stuff. ... You have a risk of insulting them."

For now, the family is muddling through the best way they know how — and relying on technology to move things forward.

The family spread the word about Jill's death via Facebook, where Jill had hundreds of friends. Rob St. Onge started a blog chronicling the case, and it already has 10,000 hits. He spends days posting updates, and talking with friends and family, while caring for his 2-year-old son. Nights are spent navigating the Thai bureaucracy, with the help of the U.S. Embassy.

When Jill and her fiancé, Ryan Kells, took off three months ago for a tour of Southeast Asia, the family was worried. But the couple wanted an adventure. Jill taught art through Seattle Parks and Recreation, and was trying to start her own silk-screening business. She also tended bar at Shadowland in West Seattle. Kells is a glassblower.

With only days before they were to head home, they decided to "splurge" on a room with air conditioning on the island of Koh Phi Phi. That evening, Jill started feeling sick, and they chalked it up to food poisoning. Within a few hours, it was clear she needed to be hospitalized.

"I ran outside and found a kinda shopping-cart thing, brought it back, scooped Jill up and put her in," according to a blog post Kells later wrote. "I then started running toward the hospital screaming for help. ... They did CPR for about an hour to no avail."

Kells also was vomiting that night, but has recovered, St. Onge said. He remains in Thailand, where his parents have joined him, waiting to bring Jill's remains back home.

Here's the kicker: Two Norwegian tourists staying in the same guesthouse were also sickened that night, according to The Associated Press. One of them died, and the other was in intensive care.

Speculation is flying. Was it some kind of chemical from the water-treatment plant next to the guesthouse? Something coming through the AC vents? Could they have been purposely poisoned?

"I think they've already ruled out foul play," St. Onge said.

He's been troubled, though, by some reports that seem to point the finger back at Jill.

"They're suggesting that these crazy tourists come to their island and do crazy things and get killed," St. Onge said.

The fact that Thailand relies on tourism has led some to wonder how officials there will handle the case.

Logistics have proved difficult for the family, which includes Jill's father, mother and stepfather in California, and a younger brother, Paul St. Onge, in Seattle.

Two Thai holidays this week and clunky communication systems have added to the frustration.

Authorities in Thailand are conducting an autopsy, and the family has asked for tissue samples tests can be run here, St. Onge said. Meanwhile, they wait, knowing the explanation for Jill's fate is in someone else's hands.

"I want Jill here," St. Onge said. "I want it to be solved. I want it to never happen to anyone again over there. ..."

"I gotta remind myself it's only been, what, six days?"

- Seattle Times (USA) / 2009-05-08

It's now on Huffington Post (which has a very large readership), so the story is spreading. Unfortunately, it seems to be lacking a lot of important information that has been covered in this thread. And, equally unfortunately, they give the last word to the g.h. owner - " 'I don't know if it was something she ate or if it was because she went out to party,' guesthouse owner Asan Buntam said."

Koh Phi Phi: 2 Tourists Suddenly Dead From Mystery Illness At Thai Resort

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/07/k...u_n_199009.html

I'm waiting for it to appear on ProMED (http://www.promedmail.org), which covers even the most obscure outbreaks or bouts of food poisoning (i.e., even in remote villages in Isaan) from a science and epidemiology standpoint. I'll post it here when/if it does appear on ProMED.

Legionnaire's disease is a possibility too.

Says they upgraded to AC room and stayed there during the day, her more than him. She got sick so went back to the room, and got worse. He was out but still got a bit sick. They did eat the same food earlier.

It's a serious matter, the bungalows should be evacuated, which they could be we don't know.

It is not likely to be Legionnaire's disease unless the aircon was a centralised system with common cooling towers and a ducted cool air distribution system. Such systems tend to be used by bigger hotels not guest houses/bungalows as such places usually have individual aircons which don't use cooling water.