Orliang / Awliang....

mssabai

I am driving myself nuts by trying to find out what is in this drink. It is served in all cha yen shops and has a flavour similar to camp coffee essence. It isn't kaffe yen (or koppi yen as they call it here in Trang). I have tried searching google, and no joy. even my boyfriend has no idea what is in it!

Can anybody help??

I am driving myself nuts by trying to find out what is in this drink. It is served in all cha yen shops and has a flavour similar to camp coffee essence. It isn't kaffe yen (or koppi yen as they call it here in Trang). I have tried searching google, and no joy. even my boyfriend has no idea what is in it!

Can anybody help??

Orliang is kaffe yen without milk.

oliang is what I've always heard it called, it is coffee with corn and soybeans ground in with the coffee.

Yep, sometimes with roasted sesame seeds too. It's like half coffee beans & half other beans or seeds.

Probably originated from the fact that coffee beans were expensive. Mixing with other cheaper beans & seeds might have cut some cost. But turn out it tastes kind of better than coffee. LOL, that's my opinion.

Probably very similar to the chicory flavored coffee that was used for centuries and popularized in the US as New Orleans style coffee. And, as far as I am aware, Oliang is not the same thing as cafe yen without milk.

Probably very similar to the chicory flavored coffee that was used for centuries and popularized in the US as New Orleans style coffee. And, as far as I am aware, Oliang is not the same thing as cafe yen without milk.

It is the same. :) You start with the same thai coffee mix. I've been making it for my husband for 30 years........One difference could be when making the gafae yen is that you can start with oliang and add evaporated milk, half and half (if it were available), or cream......most vendors use evaporated milk.

The other way is to leave the sugar out of the oliang and just add sweetened condensed milk....which some vendors use also. Usually the vendors that make a big batch of oliang use the evap. milk, the others that make it when you order it tend to use sweetened condensed milk.

The vendor that now supplies my husband with his daily fix uses the regular oliang and just adds carnation evaporated milk.

Beachbunny.

โอเลี้ยง

oh-líang

Is black iced coffee - usually very sweet

I'm sure that different areas have different versions, so probably everyone is correct.

Edited by loong

In the older days โอเลี้ยง or oh-líang is usually made of some roasted coffee beans and roasted tamarins seeds, that's what I heard.

Just like ice coffee without milk.

:)

I second that - still prefare a frappe, a real ice Coffee

before ANY concoction made up herein the kingdom!

The orliang we serve in our restaurant lists the following ingredients:

Roasted Coffee Bean, Soybean, Brown Rice, Caramel

Come on people!! orliang coffee, soy bean, tamarind and condensed milk, was the best coffee drink available in thailand in the 60,s especially when it was served in a long glass in the Broken Arrow on Korat Air base, where do you think Starbucks stole the ideas from :)

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

Anyone here familiar with home made ice coffee? Does anybody here to make your own ice coffee?

buy some ice

make coffee

put ice in coffee

iced coffee

edit :) ice!

walks away shaking head .... :D

Edited by NADTATIDA1

This is the brand that we buy.As you can see the ingredients are coffee,corn and soya bean.We make a liter at a time then put it in to the ice box and use as needed.Place coffee in a cup heat in microwave add condensed milk to hot coffee,place ice in another cup ,pour hot coffee mix over ice and enjoy! :)

post-14263-1264891669_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1264891688_thumb.jpg

Also here in Trang you can order chaa orliang and caffe orlinag (black versions of tea and coffee) or straight orliang. Probably just weird Trang slang... Never seen orliang served with milk though I am sure you could if you wanted to.

This is the brand that we buy.As you can see the ingredients are coffee,corn and soya bean.We make a liter at a time then put it in to the ice box and use as needed.Place coffee in a cup heat in microwave add condensed milk to hot coffee,place ice in another cup ,pour hot coffee mix over ice and enjoy! :)

How much bath each pack of this coffee? Is it available in Tesco Lotus?