Thai Hiso Girls Up To No Good On The Internet

ThaiEye

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please tell me what is a "hiso" ?. How can I recognize a "hiso" person if I meet one ?

That is the crux of the matter.  There is no set definition.   There are not certain specifics that once you meet them, you are hiso.

My friend does not think he is hiso because his money has been earned in the last 25 years. He is not old money, nor does he have political bigwigs in his past.  But to the average Thai on the street, his money and lifestyle make him hiso.

In the US, the media labels certain celebs, politicians, and business-types as "A-list."  This is the equivalent of hiso here in Thailand.  But how is actually A-list?  Who decides?  President Obama, Donald Trump, Oprah--they are all A-list.  But what about others not so well known or liked?  When do they get bumped off the A-list?  It is all so specious. I would say who really cares on whit, but from the amount of tabloids sold and the popularity of tv shows on teh subject, evidently a lot of people do care.

And all you have to do is watch Thai television to realize that many, many Thais do care about hiso and such.

I've got a 3 pack of Hanes that were purchased in Target on my last trip back to USA , the rubber supporting the waistband is starting to go and only the light colored pair are showing any signs of skid marks.

Wonder what they're worth ?

Could someone please tell me what is a "hiso" ?. How can I recognize a "hiso" person if I meet one ?

Sneak up from behind to give them a wedgie, if they exclaim 'Oh, I do declare, old chap!' with a distinct Oxford accent, chances are you've got one.

Thats a good one! :)

I much prefer the concept of 'phu dee'

something that Ive never seen mentioned on this board :)

one does not need to be rich or poor. it has nothing to do with your wealth or education. it is about your mannerisms and behaviour.

thais do care thats why they dontl look for their swetties in the rice paddies of thailand.

Don't you ever get tired of slagging what you evidently know sod all about?

Hiso is short for High Society/Socialite.

You can recognise one the "superior" way they carry on, the dad's little girl/boy type - they are not exclusive to Thailand, Oz has them (precious, prima donnas from private schools), US (trust fund kids), UK (the landed gentry/Sloane Rangers). an example, Paris Hilton is a hiso.

Personally, I like people not plastic replicas.

one does not need to be rich or poor. it has nothing to do with your wealth or education. it is about your mannerisms and behaviour.

Nice one Migs. I guess the equivalent is a person having 'class'. No matter what your wealth or status, rich or poor, class is something innate. A poor man can have more class than a rich man, by his manners and behaviour.

I dont think too much about the hi-so part of Thailand. Personally I get the impression that its all a bit Nouveau Riche. But, even if in some cases the money may be old, the way they seem to conduct themselves (from what little i have seen and read about..so yes, obviously im no expert..but nor wish to be) its like they have new money. It all seems a bit too rehearsed and staged. All about show and bling. Seems a bit tasteless and crass.

Nice one Migs. I guess the equivalent is a person having 'class'. No matter what your wealth or status, rich or poor, class is something innate. A poor man can have more class than a rich man, by his manners and behaviour.

I dont think too much about the hi-so part of Thailand. Personally I get the impression that its all a bit Nouveau Riche. But, even if in some cases the money may be old, the way they seem to conduct themselves (from what little i have seen and read about..so yes, obviously im no expert..but nor wish to be) its like they have new money. It all seems a bit too rehearsed and staged. All about show and bling. Seems a bit tasteless and crass.

People who would consider themselves to be hiso would most likely deny that money was a major factor, but that phu dee is.  They would consider themselves to be higher class in terms of some inate personal traits rather than just having more money.  

However, I do believe that money and what material goods a person has is really the most important factor in Thailand, unlike the UK where impovershed nobility can still hold high status, or in the UK where government employees or religious/social workers can be A-list personalities.

Money is certainly an important status symbol in the US and the UK, but I think it is a much larger slice of the status pie here in Thailand.

Honesty and integrety is the one thing that gives you class,not an operated nose,whitener and expensive clothes.

When i look back and remember how i nearly got hooked up with one of these creatures,somebody upstairs is looking after me.