The Little Consumables In The Hotel Rooms

pete_r

Just back from traveling and I'm getting curious about the little pieces of soap, bottles of shampoo etc. provided by hotels and which are left half used after a stay of a night or two: Are they just thrown away, or is there some sort of recycling going on? Or is the hotel staff allowed to collect and use them?

I don't expect much recycling to happen in more developed countries like the US, but in South East Asia who knows?

Just back from traveling and I'm getting curious about the little pieces of soap, bottles of shampoo etc. provided by hotels and which are left half used after a stay of a night or two: Are they just thrown away, or is there some sort of recycling going on? Or is the hotel staff allowed to collect and use them?

I don't expect much recycling to happen in more developed countries like the US, but in South East Asia who knows?

taken by staff for "direct recycling" or simply thrown away - we have replaced this environmental hazard with liquid soap/shampoo dispensers!

Some of the more upscale Hotels produce this kind of waste in humongous amounts!

Hyatt f.E. Crabtree & Evelyn Toiletries are given, a large "Family-Size" piece of Soap,

large Containers of Shampoo, Conditioner & After Shower Lotion.... all in packages...

I used the soap and Shower gel once - went to the bar for a welcome drink with friends

not an hour later went back - everything replaced!

In the hotel I work for we use little pots for the liquid amenities to limit waste.

Soaps are recycled. Combs, toothbrushes, etc. are only given on demand.

Agree with bkjames: always take my own shampoo and shower gel.

Samuian & Hanno > Thanks for the useful information.

Bino > I used to do this kind of recycling, and the Mrs even more... Until the pots leaking in the luggage made us kick the habit. I still take the occasional soap though.

Dave > That rings a bell about stories of revenges after a break-up I came across on the net (possibly on this forum). The dye trick used on the former girlfriend was quite high on the list.

Thanks for chipping in. I'll sleep nice and tight tonight.

> taken by staff for "direct recycling" or simply thrown away - we have replaced this environmental hazard with liquid soap/shampoo dispensers!

In which case they (staff) simply use one of the empty water bottles to take home 'their' cut of the freebie.

> Some of the more upscale Hotels produce this kind of waste in humongous amounts!

> Hyatt f.E. Crabtree & Evelyn Toiletries are given, a large "Family-Size" piece of Soap,

> large Containers of Shampoo, Conditioner & After Shower Lotion.... all in packages...

But the cost is covered by the room rate - do away with the 'goodies' the hotel gets a lower rating.

Getting something free feels good - even if the punter is paying without thinking about it.

Staying at a 4 star business hotel some years ago I felt having to ask for an 'overnight pack' as they called it was simply wrong - I (company) was paying a lot for the room and checking in at 2am limited how much use I could get out of the place, I checked out at 8am with two more of the packs (shampoo smelt nice) after giving the breakfast buffet a serious seeing to.

The maybe a 'cost' in suppling these kits and staff-time to replenish them - however they have a value to the paying guest even if they are taken away as gifts or to use in our own guest room at home.

Bino > I used to do this kind of recycling, and the Mrs even more... Until the pots leaking in the luggage made us kick the habit. I still take the occasional soap though.

Never had a leakage problem yet, but the problem is that we now have a rather large basket full of the stuff taking up space in our bathroom. I wanted to throw them away, but Ms. almost had a conniption!

Guys, if you have a gf/wife and you are travelling or whatever...bring those little mini bathroom shampoos and things back for her! It will earn you some brownie points.

I think probably around 90% of us have some weird fascination for miniature toiletries.

Ahhh the simple things in life. :)

is there some sort of recycling going on?

Ms. Bino brings them all home.

Mrs. Tango7 does the same. I look under my kitchen sink and find bottles and bottles of the stuff.

She tells me she's doing this to save money but I wonder why we still buy all this stuff as well. It just keeps piling up. I could open a shop !!

Maybe less than 90%:)

But I applaud your bravery for 'fessing up' on a open forum :D

I for one, enjoy taking a least 2 individualsly wrapped toothpicks at restaurants at every possibilty.

And those small sweeties they have in a basket on the counter at all dentists!!!! Love it.

is there some sort of recycling going on?

Ms. Bino brings them all home.

Mrs. Tango7 does the same. I look under my kitchen sink and find bottles and bottles of the stuff.

She tells me she's doing this to save money but I wonder why we still buy all this stuff as well. It just keeps piling up. I could open a shop !!

My wife does the same, personally get embarrassed about it as we have to visit the same hotels on tour month after month :) Her point "We've already paid for it", now taken. She also brought in empty water bottles for the places with the large 'Not Complimentary' dispensers, nigh on split my sides one day when she took a swig of yellow shampoo one day mistaking it for juice :D Som nam naa :D Oddly enough haven't seen her with the bottles since...?!

I digress, spend as much time in hotels as we do, often see decidedly 2nd-hand bottles, suppose she's doing the other guests a favour by forced replacement :D :D ?? As to what she does with them, found no stockpile yet, maybe the family?

Edited by Milo

Some hotels have great stuff that I am guilty of hoarding. My preferred bodywash is actually from a hotel...

Had a huge collection of mini bottles when I moved house a few years ago - a mate took a bunch of them for her gym bag for the shower after as cut down on weight and space.

I try not to take the ones I don't really like now...

:D

It definately saves carrying a large amount of toiletries

I do make use them eg, soap I prefer my own for bathing, theirs = for washing out smalls

shampoo & coditioner etc, if provided I use them also

And yes :) if i like the product the occasional one slips into my suitcase

I just got back from Singapore with a suitcase full of shampoo/conditioner - look I can't get 2in1 shampoo conditioner here (except for Pantene's anti-dandruff formula, which I'd prefer no to use, not having dandruff in the first place).

Now, I would feel a pang of conscience about emptying the goodies tray in the morning, but this place tried to charge me 700 baht a day for Internet and 250 baht for water and had all sorts of other charges like 250 baht/hour for late checkout (not needed, but used to it being free if available). So, I figure they're raking it in and can spare a few shampoos... :D

(BTW: there's free, fast Internet at The Cathay shopping centre which reaches as far as an excellent burger joint on the corner with milkshakes to die for :) .)