Excise Tax Rises On Liquor, Beer

churchill

The cabinet on Wednesday approved increases in excise taxes on rice whiskey, beer and brandy, effective from midnight.

The cabinet expected the increase would boost government revenue by 6.3 billion baht per year.

Excise tax on beer will rise to 58% from 55% and brandy to 48% from 45%. The price of rice whiskey will rise to 120 baht/litre from 110 baht/litre, for example.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij said the ministry is restructuring the overall tax system, and excise taxes on other products could be increased.

The decision will increase the price of a bottle of beer by four or five baht, and brandy by about 19 baht.

.http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/142545/govt-raises-excise-taxes-on-liquor-beer

I saw this too - now the real question I have is how much are the local watering holes gonna use this as an excuse to raise the prices of their beer by another 20 baht?

Can we organise a protest on this - anyone got some left over coloured shirts? :)

probably because the cost for implementing it on wine (with its narrow drinkers base) is high than the expected revenue projections.

Best to target commonly purchased beverages.....

Excise tax on beer will rise to 58% from 55% .....................

The decision will increase the price of a bottle of beer by four or five baht..........

.http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/142545/govt-raises-excise-taxes-on-liquor-beer

The cheaper beers are 30 Baht for a Large bottle, more expensive "foreign" beers are 60 Baht, so how can an additional 3% in the duty add between 8% and 13% to the final cost?

Even on the more expensive beers, it should only mean an increase of about 1 Baht!

I saw this too - now the real question I have is how much are the local watering holes gonna use this as an excuse to raise the prices of their beer by another 20 baht?

Can we organise a protest on this - anyone got some left over coloured shirts? :)

The colour doesn't matter, any colour will do, so long as they've got beer stains on them :D

The cabinet on Wednesday approved increases in excise taxes on rice whiskey, beer and brandy, effective from midnight.

The cabinet expected the increase would boost government revenue by 6.3 billion baht per year.

Excise tax on beer will rise to 58% from 55% and brandy to 48% from 45%. The price of rice whiskey will rise to 120 baht/litre from 110 baht/litre, for example.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij said the ministry is restructuring the overall tax system, and excise taxes on other products could be increased.

The decision will increase the price of a bottle of beer by four or five baht, and brandy by about 19 baht.

And if you're caught smoking a plant, you go to jail... :)

Government controlled and Taxed drugs are OK, grow a freekin' plant and smoke it you're toast .

Dribble some whiskey down some whites shirts and use those :D

And if you're caught smoking a plant, you go to jail... :)

Government controlled and Taxed drugs are OK, grow a freekin' plant and smoke it you're toast .

Never expected you to see it this way... its the Thai goverment who raises the tax .... normaly you defend all they do. Anyway i don't drink much wont affect me much.

And i agree about the plant.

here in Ban Dung the actual increase has been much more than publicised--- 12.9% for large Leo 425 to 480 Baht and a whopping 14.7% for small Tiger 610 to 700 Baht.

I’m thinking the middle man is skimming the cream off the top again!

This'll fix their tourism woes!

The math is simple enough:

Archa example (12 large bottle case):

Price previously 340.00

Tax (55%) 120.64

Net price 219.35

Tax (58%) 127.22

New price 346.58

Increase 1 bottle 0.55

Cheers

Y

The math is simple enough:

Archa example (12 large bottle case):

Price previously 340.00

Tax (55%) 120.64

Net price 219.35

Tax (58%) 127.22

New price 346.58

Increase 1 bottle 0.55

Cheers

Y

Your theoretical maths might be simple.

But take the practical example of my box of twelve big 'uns and the price is today 15% more than I paid last week.

<deleted> happened?

What about my Fags. Cheapo Wonder up 4 Baht Today said next time will be up 8 Baht to 40 Baht for 20 pack

Is that the correct increse or is it the local trader cashing in

As far as I know there has been NO increase in tax on cigarettes. In another thread it was announced on Sunday that there WILL be an increase on the duty of Cigs and Motor fuel, but I have not seen anything to sa that it has been implemented yet.

At 7-11 today there was no increase in price of cigs. Wonder went up by 8 Baht /pack in my local shop on Sunday.

But take the practical example of my box of twelve big 'uns and the price is today 15% more than I paid last week.

<deleted> happened?

My 30cl draft beer at Pattaya's Club Boesche A-GoGo has just dropped from 95 Baht to 65 Baht

I think market forces may be at work, and these may be a little more forceful than the Government's quite large tax increase

In Phuket the price of a case of Singha small bottles went up from 595B per box to 695B per box in the last week. Tiger beer was 622B per box today (the 12th) and tomorrow one supplier is asking 750b per box, IF you can find it !!! Heineken has been increasing steadily as well, currently 775 per box !!! Hang on to your beer wallets !!! Oh well, back to spirits at the local watering hole. TIT !!!

What about my Fags. Cheapo Wonder up 4 Baht Today said next time will be up 8 Baht to 40 Baht for 20 pack

Is that the correct increse or is it the local trader cashing in

As far as I know there has been NO increase in tax on cigarettes. In another thread it was announced on Sunday that there WILL be an increase on the duty of Cigs and Motor fuel, but I have not seen anything to sa that it has been implemented yet.

At 7-11 today there was no increase in price of cigs. Wonder went up by 8 Baht /pack in my local shop on Sunday.

7/11 up to 36 Baht now. At a local mom n pop shop they wanted 43 Baht. Rising cost of living :)

Yet my bottle of spirits has not yet risen. Maybe they wait until the current stock runs out.

Edited by G54

It probably means you need to drink one bottle less to stay in pocket, its £3 a pint in the uk get real guys!!

What does the price of beer in the UK have to do with it?

If they put the price in the UK up to 4 pound a pint, would you happily accept it? If not and someone said to you "It's 8 pounds a pint in Denmark, get real guy!!" You would probably say "What does the price of beer in Denmark have to do with it?

PS. I don't know how much beer is in Denmark - this is just an example, I just know that beer in a pub in Denmark used to be much more expensive than in the UK.

ugly...

just got following new prices from my wholesaler:

singha, up 95 baht to 710

heineken, up 115 baht to 900

tiger now 720 baht

san miguel still the same...

will check around for other prices, and double check my wholesaler isn't making a quick extra...

Just for comparison what size are we talking.

In Aus I buy slabs of VB 24 X 375 ml bottles for about 1000 baht.

To compare beers with beers thats 9 litres for 1000 baht.

Smokes are about 300 baht for 25, no comparison.

Comparison:

In Tokyo I can buy in the supermarket very nice beer Asahi Clear, 5% alcohol @ 1000 Yen for a six pack of large cans, less than 60 Baht per can.

Yes, it's more expensive than Thailand, but also it's much better quality IMHO.

Would I pay that price in Thailand if it was available ? :)

Yes, I think I would.

I know they brew Asahi beer in Thailand, but it's not the same as the Japanese Asahi.

Last time I bought a case of beer I paid 485 Baht for 24 cans, Leo beer.

I think that does not apply to cheers, leo, chang and singha.

You can hardly call them "beer", more some alcoholic piss.

Standard. Consumption will not decrease. Nobody can complain since these things are overall bad for society.

when I first came to Thailand only Singh beer was drunk by the locals who said that the Carlsberg, and Chang were tasteless in comparison, but I have watched every body in my neighborhood migrate to cheaper beers so that now Singh beer is no longer stocked by my local shop.

With tourism reported down 50%, and a 15% drop in consumption of whiskey this government is going to be hard pressed to collect any taxes.

Does any one know if beer sales are down and by how much.

http://www.bangkokpost.com

Thailand's 8-billion-baht standard whisky market contracted by 15% in the 12 months to March 31, the biggest decrease in five years, according to Diageo Moet Hennessy (Thailand).