Cable Tv Bangkok

SoMeOnEnUlL

My apartment owner just set up a cable TV. It's not from TRUE. I think it's something like Sophon cable TV from Pattaya. I get BBC,FOx, Eurosport, invisions, sci-fi and a lot other movies channel which are in Thai. I am just wondering if anyone know the name of the company that service this or maybe a website where I can see their program update and other informations. I live in central Bangkok, near Victory Monument. :)

Guest Reimar
My apartment owner just set up a cable TV. It's not from TRUE. I think it's something like Sophon cable TV from Pattaya. I get BBC,FOx, Eurosport, invisions, sci-fi and a lot other movies channel which are in Thai. I am just wondering if anyone know the name of the company that service this or maybe a website where I can see their program update and other informations. I live in central Bangkok, near Victory Monument. :)

There a lot different Cable TV providers in Bangkok Area. The cost is mainly THB 300.00 a month, a lot cheaper than TRUE and the quality most time better.

I have 86 Channels in Samut Prakarn with several in English and other languages than Thai. Cost with 1 TV THB 250 and 2 TV THB 300 a month. That's just OK!

Cheers.

I am also looking for an alternative to UBC (True) but can't find a provider in our area (BKK Tungkruh) who carries at least CNN, BBC world, HBO, Cinemax and the free Thai TV.

Not interested in sport stations.

Cable would be best because of the rain outages using a satellite dish but even a satellite provider would be okay if the price is right.

Now we are on an old analogue cable of True and in general their service has been very good. If we have a technical problem they show up within 24 hrs. even on weekends and holidays. But the price (about 17,000.- Baht for 13 months) is not justified for the few channels we watch.

opalhort

You are not likely to find those channels on other cable systems because TV has exclusive rights to them I suspect. What you will get is other local stations (there are quite a few) plus the international stations TV does not have a lock on. Most systems are very local in nature. Mine has 80 channels (no converter required) but only covers the Chok Chai 4 area of Bangkok. Have had for six TV's (550 per month) for about 2 months and very happy with the switch. But if you need English language TV it probably would not be for you as only financial/news/some movies/cartoons are in English. Hitcabletv.co.th

Edit: during the recent events able to get news on ASTV, Nation and D-station where the local channels continued there soaps.

Edited by lopburi3

You are not likely to find those channels on other cable systems because TV has exclusive rights to them I suspect.

That's what I feared. In other words we are stuck with TV.

How about satellite services from abroad? Even a C-band link would be okay, probably even better than KU-band. Are there companies through which we could subscribe to certain channels and what would the costs be?

opalhort

The only two that I know of are Dream from the PI (which I understand is now very scrambled and most people have lost) and another service from SA. Both are not authorized to provide service here. If you remember TV was UBC was UTV was combined with IBC. Monopoly was not a dirty word to some people.

If you remember TV was UBC was UTV was combined with IBC. Monopoly was not a dirty word to some people.

Yes I recall IBC from 13 or so years ago when we had to use the Microwave link from Baiyok tower; lousy signal but it worked. We have been with them ever since and gone through all the changes, even tried an IBC satellite dish but quit this because of the rain fade after UTV got a real cable to our area.

My question is:

If we get a satellite set-up, KU- or C-band, are there companies through which we could subscribe to the channels we like to watch legally! and what would the costs be?

I understand that TV appears to have sole rights for distributing certain channels in Thailand, but shouldn't it be possible to legally subscribe via companies located outside of Thailand?

opalhort

My apartment owner just set up a cable TV. It's not from TRUE. I think it's something like Sophon cable TV from Pattaya. I get BBC,FOx, Eurosport, invisions, sci-fi and a lot other movies channel which are in Thai. I am just wondering if anyone know the name of the company that service this or maybe a website where I can see their program update and other informations. I live in central Bangkok, near Victory Monument. :D

What ever it is thank your lucky star it is NOT true. :):D

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know there were more than one company doing this service. I guess I will just ask the apartment owner. :)

For me, getting 5 news channel in English is worth having. And, invision and sci-fi channels look cool also.

a lot cheaper than TRUE and the quality most time better.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and no one will buy something better that is cheaper.

Personally I have tried these cables systems in various parts of Thailand and in terms of bang for buck, the True is still unfortunately the (only) system of choice for me. I got 72 Cable TV channels at moment in a hotel room in central Thailand and about 3 of them worth watching imho. On my home True system I would stop by about 50% of the channels throughout a period of time.

Guest Reimar
a lot cheaper than TRUE and the quality most time better.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and no one will buy something better that is cheaper.

Personally I have tried these cables systems in various parts of Thailand and in terms of bang for buck, the True is still unfortunately the (only) system of choice for me. I got 72 Cable TV channels at moment in a hotel room in central Thailand and about 3 of them worth watching imho. On my home True system I would stop by about 50% of the channels throughout a period of time.

It's about what you want to look!

I like to see the news in English and I get: BBC World, ABC, TV5 and others. Several movie channels in English as well as Music channels. To be fair, I do not look TV very much, most of the time just for the news. My Son and My wife getting what they want to see (Cartoon, Thai Soap Opera pp!!). And I'm not a sport's fan! So the money paid is just ok for what I like to get! But to pay nearly THB 2,000 a month for something I would never use for more than max 5% with the buggy promotion on all sites? A big NO! What the UBC viewer paying in one month I get 6 month of the Cable TV! And that's what is counting for me.

Cheers.

If you have access to cable (fiber optic cable), then best option & affordable is to go with a scrambler. I bought one a few months ago for 8,000 THB. If allows me to watch up to 60 channels (English & Thai). It's a plug & watch unit and there's no monthly fee.

• 4 weeks later...

to answer your first question what company it is:

i live in suthisarn road close to victory monument. i also got this cable tv this month.

it is called Golden Channel Cable TV. 3000 baht a year.

i only had one reason to buy this chanel:

i wanted to see the german bundesliga live. and they have a chanel which broadcasts the bundesliga 24 hours a day with all matches and then 3 live matches from friday to sunday. this is a dream for every bundesliga fan. nearly nobody knows about it. and nearly for free. :-)

if you are interested call the company: 02-275 1691-3 (9-19)

tobi

ps if you stay for a long time in thailand, why dont you just buy a cracked true card for arround 12-14000 baht. all chanels there are. no more fees. ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the charoencabletv site and it looks like it's targeting apartment buildings rather than individual houses?

I'm about to get a tv and a subscription. I would like to watch:

HBO

Tour de France

World Cup

Now I take it for the World Cup, True are actually going to over dub it with Thai commentary, right?

Also, does anyone know who's running the Tour here in Thailand? Eurosport usually does full coverage, but when I was in CM last year I think it was on one of the Supersport (SA) channels. Not sure if that had Thai overdubs also.

I think a True Gold subscription would get me most of this. But not happy with the price.

On a side note, I don't understand why so many people fork out big money for HD tv's when the signal, digital or cable, is so rubbish to begin with.

I think a True Gold subscription would get me most of this. But not happy with the price.

On a side note, I don't understand why so many people fork out big money for HD tv's when the signal, digital or cable, is so rubbish to begin with.

"schmutzie" just to put you straight on one subject, your last paragraph. True's two HD channels transmit a 1080i resolution picture and as long as you have a HD TV(1080p) & receiver you will be watching High Definition programming. Believe me it is nothing like the normal very low resolution picture on the non HD channels. I am not a fan of True, especially due to the incredible amount of repeats & unacceptable censorship and to top it all the high price, but realistically speaking they still have the widest choice of English channels, remember that DSTV (South Africa) the only real alternative is now stopping transmissions as from March 31st. (I think you mean 31st May!!)

If you do watch a lot of sport I would recommend spending the extra 300 baht or so a month, you wont be disappointed!

I have Silver package from True plus local cable. The cable gives most of the rugby, cricket & a several other channels I like to watch. Unfortunately it seems we will lose the feed from DSTV at the end of this month which means losing Super Sport. This is going to be serious not only for me but for many others including bar owners, who make a living providing a comprehensive sports coverage, & their customers who depend on said bars to get their weekly dose of sport. This loss will also effect all those who are using their own satellite dish. I am sure there are many trying to find a way around this such as using an internet feed. My cable company claimed to have no idea DSTV was going off soon but would look into it but so far no response on what their contingency plan is. They did not seem to understand the concept of C & KU band & the footprint which those bands cover.

The cable companies have been creaming it for years by taking illegal feeds & spreading it around for a modest fee. They could still make bucket loads if they did it legally.

I am likely in the minority of those who have no interest in the World Cup but for the multitudes of you who are it seems like you will only get Thai language broadcast, better than nothing.

• 6 months later...

I am also looking for an alternative to UBC (True) but can't find a provider in our area (BKK Tungkruh) who carries at least CNN, BBC world, HBO, Cinemax and the free Thai TV.

Not interested in sport stations.

Cable would be best because of the rain outages using a satellite dish but even a satellite provider would be okay if the price is right.

Now we are on an old analogue cable of True and in general their service has been very good. If we have a technical problem they show up within 24 hrs. even on weekends and holidays. But the price (about 17,000.- Baht for 13 months) is not justified for the few channels we watch.

opalhort

Me too, after the third incident with them, I am desperately looking for a substitute for TRUE, which for me is a true problem. These guys are aggressive, stubborn and lightly touched, not cooperative and totally discarding you when you get tough too.... Just try it out at their building on Rama IV (TIPCO Tower) and go there for a complaint. Getting fed up with them because overmore the quality of their picture is poor and very much garbled during the rain season. Cable TV would be the best alternative: much cheaper and better; in fact anything else than TRUE. I am living in the Ekkamai area (between Ekkamai and Tonglor). Anyone who can recommend me a good solution and a valid alternative for my TRUE-problem? Please contact my dude007 address. B);)

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, good thread here. Can anyone recommend a local cable company providing the ekkamai/thong lor area. I've heard most of them are dodgy with channel disappearing and what not. I'm interested in perhaps sophon as I'm after the Australian Network, however the building I've moved into are pushing people to sign up to true. I have a true connection as thai TV was doing my head in, but would also like to get local cable connected. Thanks