What's a good tire for 95% highway use and 5% off road

canuckamuck

I have a 2010 Ford Ranger. We have been using the same type of tire it was sold with, some type of Michelin that is clearly for highway only. Excellent tread life averaging over 60,000km per set. But horrible traction in any sort of mud. We have gotten stuck with this thing on level ground more than once. It is not a 4X4.

This time around I am will to give up some tread life and endure a little more noise, in exchange for a little more grip. I haven't compared tires in forever, and I have no idea what to try.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I think the idea is that someone else might have already done that and could offer some advise....

I have. ????

It depends on the conditions if the truck sinks right down in soft ground as I have done on my farm with my 2 wheel rear drive is it useless no matter what tyres. 

4x4 is so different.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have. ????

It depends on the conditions if the truck sinks right down in soft ground as I have done on my farm with my 2 wheel rear drive is it useless no matter what tyres. 

4x4 is so different.

I have my share of 4x4 experience, growing up on a cattle ranch. I understand that if the ground is soft there is no hope. But in our case we have been stuck in conditions I would describe as greasy.

I just want an upgrade in traction.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

How can you compare or try different tyres without fitting them to your vehicle and doing your 95/5% use for 60,000 km

It takes me about three or four years to put 60k on that truck. And after the 60k it is very hard to return them.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

BF Goodrich A/T....

My old 4x4 Toyota truck has 15 inch rims, so there are fewer selections these days.  Goodrich was one contender.  I just recently bought Toyo Open Country A/T 3 since I couldn't get the same Bridgestones that were on it.  $166 per tire here in the US ( plus mounting) for P235/75 R15  108T.  (IIRC the Bridgestones were more than that well over 10 years ago.) 

image.png.6c9d723226cf2e4d089e5755fe442497.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My old 4x4 Toyota truck has 15 inch rims, so there are fewer selections these days.  Goodrich was one contender.  I just recently bought Toyo Open Country A/T 3 since I couldn't get the same Bridgestones that were on it.  $166 per tire here in the US ( plus mounting) for P235/75 R15  108T.  (IIRC the Bridgestones were more than that well over 10 years ago.) 

Seems like what I am looking for.

I got some Firestones that were mud tires, deeper tread than what was shown in @Damrongsak's first photo.  It's not the best brand, I know, but the shop at the time didn't have any near equivalent in another brand.  And they have lasted me well--nearly four years, at about 15,000 km/year.  Our vehicle is 4x4, though, and I've been very pleased with its performance in mud.  It does make more noise on the highway, but, like you, I was willing enough to have that.  And I probably only need the mud tires once in a while as well, but it's sure worth it when you need it.

One suggestion:  Get a larger size if your wheel well supports it--both in diameter and width.  This will give more traction in mud, and better mileage, too.  I did that, and the tires even rub a little on the wheel well when cornering sometimes, but it seems to have improved the traction rather noticeably.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have my share of 4x4 experience, growing up on a cattle ranch. I understand that if the ground is soft there is no hope. But in our case we have been stuck in conditions I would describe as greasy.

Up to you as I said an A/T tyre on the rear of a rear wheeled drive vehicle will be an improvement but not much in my experience, so you only need to put on rear only.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Up to you as I said an A/T tyre on the rear of a rear wheeled drive vehicle will be an improvement but not much in my experience, so you only need to put on rear only.

Do you not need two different spares, for front and back.

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I think the idea is that someone else might have already done that and could offer some advise....

On a 2 wheel rear drive you need more weight in the rear!

Never heard about 5% offroad tires but hybrid, mixed driving or all terrain driving tires.

There will always be a compromise when you want both! I regret I didn't by 4x4 when I bought a new car 

Google find many reviews articles and YouTube clips.

Check some reviews and see if you find some that suits you which is produced in Thailand.

Following soon time for me to change tires, and need better grip as well.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/blogs/200/top-5-best-hybrid-truck-tires-for-2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/features/best-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires-tire-rack-owner-reviews/amp/

9 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

the best tyres will be those that will allow you to avoid an accident on a wet highway.

and driving slow on a Thai highway is incompatible with safety.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Those look very similar to Goodrich. I've run BF Goodrich A/T 265/75R/16 on the old chevy Silverado for a long time, a smooth grippy ride........ 

We have 2 SUV's.....I had replaced the tires of both with Yokohama Geolanders....

One had had Bridgestone tires - and being Bridgestone they turned hard like a rock & handling + wet weather traction was noticeably bad....I forget what I had on the other car....

The Geolanders were a good tire & handling was ok.....I wore them down on the Toyota & my long time dealer suggested Maxxis tires....At his suggestion, I installed the 700 Bravo A/T.....The tread has a nice bite to it & the handling and ride quality are superb - just a solid feeling ride and much improved over the Yokohama tires....This is my first time with Maxxis and I am impressed....

They are 1.5-2.0 years old and holding up nicely.....I do have them rotated, balanced, and aligned with every 10k service.....

That will be my choice again when the need hits.....

I'd always used Michelin on my cars in the states= the sidewalls degredated before the tread wore down.... Especially when sitting (3 cars - 1 driver).....

IMG_20220904_102345.jpg

IMG20220904101947.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, canuckamuck said:

Did you make a final choice? I ended up with a flat yesterday and today when getting it fixed was told that I need new tires, at less than 50K km. That is a fair bit less use than I was accustomed to in the great white north but after checking further it does seem as if 50=/- and 4 or so years is what is to be expected here, given the harsh conditions ie:heat. Do others find that to be the case?

The choices for tires are bewildering....BF Goodrich / Goodyear / Conti / Cooper / Yokohama / Pirelli / Hankook / Michelin / Firestone / Nitto and on and on ....for the size I want, 262/65 R17. Hankook has a few nice choices but they are made in Indonesia it seems so not as easy to find here. Was surprised to see Pirelli making a tire that size,, thought they were race only.

I am in no rush but figure will get new ones by year end, always interesting to hear what others found worthy. We stay in Chan so rain is a big factor for us.

Cheers

1 hour ago, kuma said:

Did you make a final choice? I ended up with a flat yesterday and today when getting it fixed was told that I need new tires, at less than 50K km. That is a fair bit less use than I was accustomed to in the great white north but after checking further it does seem as if 50=/- and 4 or so years is what is to be expected here, given the harsh conditions ie:heat. Do others find that to be the case?

The choices for tires are bewildering....BF Goodrich / Goodyear / Conti / Cooper / Yokohama / Pirelli / Hankook / Michelin / Firestone / Nitto and on and on ....for the size I want, 262/65 R17. Hankook has a few nice choices but they are made in Indonesia it seems so not as easy to find here. Was surprised to see Pirelli making a tire that size,, thought they were race only.

I am in no rush but figure will get new ones by year end, always interesting to hear what others found worthy. We stay in Chan so rain is a big factor for us.

Cheers

and....just did the 02:00 7 run and saw these other names to add to the list, all in shops just outside the house here, within 5 minutes drive....Bridgestone, Nexen, Dunlop, Thunderer, Maxxis,  Advan, West Lake, GoodTyre, Leao, Nankang...truly mind boggling amount of choice, some have never heard of.

@kumaI think I will go for the Maxxis Bravo AT 700's. They seem to be a good performer for the price. If I didn't need some good mud traction occasionally, I would probably stick with the Michelin Primacy tires that came with the truck. the set I got on now look like I could get 70k out of them if I had to.

• Thumbs Up 1