Where Can I Find English Tv Channels In Rayong

kuochihfu

Hi, I am working & living in the Rayong Industrial Park.

Is there any good recommendation for a cable company or satellite dish?

I prefer CNN, BBC, MTV, NHK, ESPN in the package.

I asked our Thai staff to find it for me, and the price is like 15,000 bahts a year + 9,000 installation fee..

God.. B 24,000.. isn't it more than average Thai making for a whole month?

I've never heard anybody say anything good about the monopoly UBC, so I rely on bit torrents to watch my favorite TV shows and sporting events. As far as news broadcasts go, I think most major networks stream their news reports/shows over the internet, so a decent broadband connection may be your best bet.

I think you have 3 options:

1) Rayong cable - you will get BBC World News, Al Jazeera and lots of Australian sports channels, as well as an Australian TV/movie channel, but not much else

2) UBC satellite though True - this is probably what your staff found for you. The installation price they quoted seems high, but I believe the gold package goes for about 1500 baht/month

3) You might be able to find someone who sells a one-time payment satellite dish. I've heard prices from 8000-20,000 baht. There's no guarantee you will receive all channels forever, but if you can find a seller/installer, this is the route you might want to take.

There's an electronics store in Laem Thong (groundfloor) that does satellite systems. Ask (discretely) about one that pick up Phillipines. You'll need a 2.5m dish and decoder. If you want to pick up other sats as well you'll need a moveable dish, or more dishes & more decoders (but better if you use more than one TV). Whole set-up will be about 15-30k (depending on the number of dishes, decoders, splitters, etc) but free thereafter.

Much better than True, you'll get access to 300+ channels, around 50 in English.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a large motorized dish and decoder some years ago for a one time payment of about 20,000 baht. It worked well for a years or so and then became scrambled. For a year I struggled getting it unlocked every few months but it became ridiculous. Eventually I gave up and it is now redundant. I wouldn't recommend this route. Now I stick with listening to Radio from home through the internet. There's really nothing much worth watching on any of the TV channels anyway, in my opinion. If you want a movie I find its better to buy them locally for 70 baht.

I got a large motorized dish and decoder some years ago for a one time payment of about 20,000 baht. It worked well for a years or so and then became scrambled. For a year I struggled getting it unlocked every few months but it became ridiculous. Eventually I gave up and it is now redundant

How odd, I also got a large motorized dish and decoder some 5 odd years ago, and sure every few weeks you must do a scan of each satellite you watch and re-add the new ones or the channels that have changed......... Did you check that you got the best signal, I find I have to do a 1 step move most days to get a perfect signal...

Hi, I am working & living in the Rayong Industrial Park.

Is there any good recommendation for a cable company or satellite dish?

I prefer CNN, BBC, MTV, NHK, ESPN in the package.

I asked our Thai staff to find it for me, and the price is like 15,000 bahts a year + 9,000 installation fee..

God.. B 24,000.. isn't it more than average Thai making for a whole month?

No idea, you would have to ask, but would have thought the 15,000 would have been for the satellite dish , decoder and installation fee, You then OWN the dish & decoder, and the 9,000 would be the yearly subscription card, this is the only fee you would pay every year.

Better in my view is to pay a one off fee for a large move dish, so you can pick up all the satellites, you may then find that you do not need to pay yearly for a subscription card.

Google 'Free to View Satellites over Thailand' then you can see yourself