Sony Vaio Laptops

Insight

Does anybody have much experience with Sony Vaio laptops? The model I'm currently looking at is the Sony Vaio PCG-K86sp, as seen here:

http://www.shop4thai.com/th/product/9059.php

The other option is a Dell Latitude D800 which has a lower spec, yet is more expensive at 81,000 THB.

Main role of the machine will be for Win32 software development.

Does anybody have any recommendations? All feedback appreciated.

I had a Sony Vaio (older model) until a Year ago. It was allright, but I considered it not too great for the price. Had some Problems with Configuaration, and the Sony Helpline did suck big time.

I have a Dell Latitude right now, probably with higher Specs than you're looking at; and have to say this is the best Windows machine I had so far.

Bought it back in Europe last May, and took it to Thailand with me. Have bought an international 3 Year warranty, and had to call Dell Thailand about a Software (driver) problem once. Received good help.

I don't know anything about the Vaio model you're looking at, but I'd say: Go for the Dell!

Sunny

Main role of the machine will be for Win32 software development.

Does anybody have any recommendations? All feedback appreciated.

Why settle for a legacy 32-bit laptop when you can get a 64-bit laptop for less? Sony and Dell are in a tight spot because they have to wait for Intel to launch its VIIV 64-bit processor line which aren't ready yet. Buy a 32-bit CPU and you'll never be able to upgrade to 64-bit windows or run 64-bit software. On the other hand Acer offers 64-bit AMD CPU's today for great prices and you get extensive warranties and services in and out of Thailand. Just wait until Intel launches their VIIV processors later in the year, you'll be blitzed with the VIIV logo and they'll be calling all 32-bit machines dinosaurs, but in the mean time they (and Dell/Sony/etc) are trying to keep everyone in the dark about the performance and scalability benefits because Intel is still working feverishly on the chip. Example 64-bit machine 80K baht gets you:

http://www.acer.co.th/product/travelmate/f...i3200/index.htm

Edited by The Coder

Sony laptops usually sell for a premium over other laptops. They usually come with a lot of extras and gadgets that you may or may not appreciate/need. The more expensive models (including this model you're looking at) come with a "clear bright" LCD that has high contrast and color definition at the cost of high reflections. Upgrades from Sony (such as memory) can be pricey, so you might want to look at 3rd party options.

For people who are looking to buy a notebook, keep in mind that the new "sonoma" chipsets, with PCI-E, SATA, and dual channel DDR are about to be released. If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait.

That being said, a laptop is a bit more limited in expandability than a PC, so you might want to think hard before buying. The screen is a big factor, since that's the screen you're stuck with most of the time. Same goes for the keyboard. If you're travelling a lot, weight is very important, and you need to factor in the weight of the power adapter and other necessary accessories. If you plan to use it for any 3d work/play, you would want something with a decent 3d system, since there's no way to change it later on.

Thanks everybody for the replies so far.

The Coder, I write software that's designed to run on other Win32 clients, and these are usually in the shipping industry. By the time it takes these people to upgrade to 64bit processors I'm hoping to be withdrawing a pension, so it's not looking that necessary right now. Also, I'm currently using an Acer (my reason for upgrading), and with the experiences I've had with this machine, I'm hoping never to go near one again.

Firefoxx, the reason I picked out this Vaio was down to the performance - 3.2GHz P4, 512MB RAM, large display with suitable graphics card. It seems considerably better than the Dell Latitude model I was looking at which is at a higher price.

Hoping to make a desicion by the end of today. Looks like the Vaio's still the hot contender.

I have participated in buying and supporting both Dell and Sony laptops for my employment. The Sonys have exceeded the Dells in reliability and ruggedness, but Dell is excellant in support. They have no worry to replace the laptop's motherboard if there is an issue involving it. Sony is also good with service but not to the extent of Dell's on-site service. Sony seems to require shipment to a service center.

It would be a tough choice for me between Sony and Dell for a personal laptop. Dell cases seem to have gotten cheaper and less rugged over time, while the Sony cases look and feel more metallic than cheap plastic. Sony also seems to be able to put the laptop together in a smaller physical package.

Pricing for performance continues to come down as time goes by - but you can go bare bones at Dell for less money. Probably at a lower level of performance than you really should purchase. If really cost concerned, the Dell might be the choice. If case design is important then maybe the Sony is better.

I don't think you can go seriously wrong with either brand. Its not like you're buying a Gateway or something like that.

kenk3z

I think that Centrino's are the way to go (current chipset or the future sonoma chipset). Mobile P4's are no match for PentiumM's in terms of performance/battery life. True, the Ghz numbers are higher for P4's, but a PentiumM 1.6 will be about on par with the Mobile P4 3.2. I suggest looking into the Centrino models.

Ditto the comment about Centrino. I have Vaio VGN-S1XP and I'm delighted with it (bought mainly for the weight factor and EXCELLENT screen - though I appreciate you want a large display).

Instincts are that you won't go wrong with either machine/manufacturer (I've had Dell desktops in the past and their support was always great) - but IMHO the Vaio ought to win on both "bang for your buck" and sleek build quality.

Instincts are that you won't go wrong with either machine/manufacturer (I've had Dell desktops in the past and their support was always great) - but IMHO the Vaio ought to win on both "bang for your buck" and sleek build quality.

This is pretty much the train of thought behind the decision. I already know another owner who uses a Vaio for software development and he also can’t fault it. The Dell range looked okay, but we found that the moment you want any customisations done to the general specification, the price seemed to skyrocket.

Support hopefully shouldn’t be an issue for me (never have had to use it in the past). That is as long as the thing blows up in my face :o

Firefoxx, didn’t know that about the Centrino range – thanks for the info. Looked at other sources on the web and found that performance generally tends to match. Will let other people know about it in the office when it comes to making future decisions.

Brit, had a look at the Satellite range but couldn’t find something with similar performance for the same price.

Thanks everybody for the input. Think it’ll be a fairly safe bet to go for the Vaio. If not, you can count on me whining about it here :D

just bought the sony VGN-S28SP for my Girl, a swaping 99k baht. so far so good no problem with it, it run pretty cool not hot compare to other laptop, the screen is excellent, perfect for whatching DVD, only thing i don't like is all the usb and other plug are on the side so it cramp up everthing, the way sony set up it laptop you cannot have any plug on the back.

i use a PCG-K66SP , i have had it for about 9 months and it has been perfect.(so far :o )

its used mostly as a desktop , (battery life is a miserable 2 hours), and i bought it for the bright screen and the "good name" of sony.

would certainly recommend sony and when the time comes to replace this one i will start by looking at sony again.

had a toshiba laptop before this one and the display failed after a year.

2 usb ports , camers in,headphone and sound in and tv out are at the side , i find it easier to get to them at the side. but it makes for lots of visible wires. but they just blend in with all the other junk on my desk.

if they are round the back then you cant see them and things do look tidier.

• 4 years later...

I don't recommend anyone to buy Sony laptops here in Thailand. Why?

I purchased a sony laptop for THB 75.000 by Chi Chang in Chiang Mai. Just after 4 weeks I had the first repair:

this means send to Bangkok for 14 days; okay I have warranty for 1 year, but his happen 5 times in this one year.

the changed the keyboard, the changed the mainboard, the changed the hard drive.

3 times they are changed the batteries.

After 1 year, I had to pay for the batterie change another THB 5.000

1 and 1/2 year later it's broken again and they ask me another THB 22.000. this company and this products are a nighmare, and

I think the costumer has to be protected.

I don't wish anyone what I went trough on time, on money for some laptop what doesn't work longer then 2 month.

Be careful with your choice about Sony products.

Edited by dreddy

I had a Sony T2XP for 5 years and it only broke when I fell on it (even then it soldiered on for 6 months slowly shutting down). I took this laptop all over the world for 2.5 years, including hiking at 4,500 metres on a number of occassions. It lived in the top of my rucsac for all that time getting thrown about and bashed. I CAN'T complain about the laptop itself.

Sony service, however, is nearly pointless. Their 1st line of support (i.e. internet support, etc) is good, but anything after that is rather lame (denials, buckpassing, etc). The Sony centre in Bangkok is nice though, which certainly helps to calm down an angry customer.

My present laptop is a DELL XPS M1330 which is a wonderful performer, but INCREDIBLY unreliable. I have had to have DELL come and replace the motherboard twice and my hard-drive once. However the DELL service is superb (I paid the extra 6,000ish baht for 3 years next day and accident insurance) and has certainly allowed me to get back to work soon.

So, in conclusion I would LOVE to have a VAIO, but with DELL support.....tough call.

A friend of mine bought a top of the line Vaio. He says it works fine when it works. Sony has replaced it three times. He will NEVER buy another Sony. He had bad luck with his previous Toshiba but not as bad a luck as the Sony. As for myself, I have a Lenovo and the mother board failed at two and a half years. The three year warranty replaced the motherboard at no charge.

I will never buy another full blown laptop. Any heavy work is done on my desktop and a netbook is entirely adequate and better for traveling. The laptop will NEVER efficiently replace a desk top.

My Sony laptop is now just over 6 years old, never a problem, I did buy it in the UK March 2003 for 1,180 GBP....

I bought a new Acer last year, 46,800 baht, it is OK but has had to be repaired twice, over heating x1 and kept switching off x1... + twice for them to not fix the VGA out.

OK the Sony is old and slower but I like it better.. maybe it is because the screen @ 14" is to small I'm getting old, the Sony is 15.4..

The Sony I can plug into my PC Monitor, the Acer output will not work, Acer looked at it twice but still will not work.