Wireless Router/modem

a269652

I want to replace the fixed single port router/modem with a wireless box.

My laptop has an inbuilt wireless card & LAN port, so will work with either of the above options.

1) I assume I can do this? i.e just configure the new one with my ISP user name & pwd.

2) Can you suggest a dual port wireless router/modem that I might purchase.

Thanks!

I really, really like the Linksys models. I'd recommend going from your current modem to a wifi router. It's cheaper and if one part, either the modem or the switch, of a modem/router goes out it's not good for what you want. On the other hand if your current modem goes out it's easy and cheap to replace. Ditto for the router. Furthermore if you want to experiment with DD-WRT you'll want one of these routers. The Linksys WRT-54G is well know for its longevity and just getting things done.

If you decided to get the WRT-54G make sure you check the serial number. If it starts with "CDFE" (version 7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#WRT54G ) then it's not good. it has the Atheros AR2317 chipset and is not compatible with DD-WRT. They might be cheaper than the other versions because the vendors may want to get rid of them.

The one you want is labeled WRT54GL. The L in the back ensures you have the proper model with enough memory inside enabling you to load all the alternative firmwares.

DD-WRT and Tomato are the two most popular!

Just hook up your current modem to the WAN port on the linksys and you're good to go...

If you going the Linksys route then yes get a WRT54Gx (GS, GL, etc). Try to find and older model that V5 or earlier (they have more RAM and are highly compatible with DD-WRT). I made the mistake of getting a GS V7 and although I could load the micro version of DD-WRT, it was still a POS router.

D-Link also makes some good ones.

If the wifi card in your laptop support draft-N, get a router to support it, you'll love it.

I run WRT54GLs with tomato and openwrt and they are great

but , if you get a GL , it does not have a ADSL modem built in , you need to use your existing modem and connect its ethernet ( RJ45 ) port to the WAN port of the WRT54GL.

I use the 54GL to control the ADSL PPPoE connection and run the modem in half bridge mode, but you could just leave the WAN port on DHCP and just use it as a wifi access point and router.

If you decided to get the WRT-54G make sure you check the serial number. If it starts with "CDFE" (version 7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#WRT54G ) then it's not good. it has the Atheros AR2317 chipset and is not compatible with DD-WRT. They might be cheaper than the other versions because the vendors may want to get rid of them.

The one you want is labeled WRT54GL. The L in the back ensures you have the proper model with enough memory inside enabling you to load all the alternative firmwares.

DD-WRT and Tomato are the two most popular!

Just hook up your current modem to the WAN port on the linksys and you're good to go...

Saw they were advertising cheap WRT54G. Turn out it was the incompatible version 7.0. learned the hard way without a proper research. :) anyway, flashed DD-WRT on the proper one I bought sometimes later. Now it sits in the storage waiting for me to find some motivation to setup better interface to the FreeRadius server.

I want to replace the fixed single port router/modem with a wireless box.

My laptop has an inbuilt wireless card & LAN port, so will work with either of the above options.

1) I assume I can do this? i.e just configure the new one with my ISP user name & pwd.

2) Can you suggest a dual port wireless router/modem that I might purchase.

Thanks!

Just configure it with the old ISP data. Don't forget to set a code for the wireless.

I have a D-Link 2640T. It has four LANs and wireless. Has been working problem free. But what I regret a bit is the G standard that it has. If you want to watch DVD's on a local network (where DVD data are on a different computer) than the G standard is not enough. Better take (the more expensive) N or N+ then. But if you do not need it then do not waste your money for this. And if you think about it your notebook or whatever receiving computer has to be able to handle this higher speed of N or N+ too otherwise the network will just run downgraded to G. Just wasted money then.

• 1 year later...

ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v2. (additional antenna included) Works like a charm - 3y warranty

I just got a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3 on recommendation in my office (I asked them buying it for me)

But to extend the warranty from 2 yrs to 3 yrs I have to enter a lot of data online at www.zyxel.co.th (What are they doing with all that information anyway?)

That their site is mostly in Thai was just the 1st annoyance (it takes me some time to read that).

But they require giving a Thai national ID (they also state that giving untruthful data will waive your right to the warranty).  So how did you get the 3 yrs warranty? As it is weekend their hot line played endlessly that all staff is currently busy and I would be next.

Let's hope their hardware is better than how they deal with their customers.

What you need is the Lynksys WRT-54GL (note L!) this model has a bit more memory which enables the use of the upgrade firmware such as Tomato and dd-wrt mentioned above.