Nationwide Bank Question

Looking at their website, it seems to me that the only account type that issues this bank card is a current account.

Which would mean a lot of b*ll*cking about moving my mortgage, standing orders, direct debits, informing my employers etc, etc???

I would like to be issued with card just for a passbook savings type account, or even an "E-Plus" account i see advertised on the site.............but no mention of this Flex Card thats a supposidly good card to have.

Penkoprod

Looking at their website, it seems to me that the only account type that issues this bank card is a current account.

Which would mean a lot of b*ll*cking about moving my mortgage, standing orders, direct debits, informing my employers etc, etc???

I would like to be issued with card just for a passbook savings type account, or even an "E-Plus" account i see advertised on the site.............but no mention of this Flex Card thats a supposidly good card to have.

Penkoprod

i have just opened a current account (flexaccount - current account is the same) last week, still waiting for my card to come in the post, i have put 100 pound in to the account, ive told them that i only want to use my card while im in thailand, they say ok. they even gave me a overdraft, ( but i will give my wife the card next week while im in thailand so when i come back home to the uk i can put money in the account on line and tell her how much so she can withdraw it ) you dont have to move your mortgage, standing orders, direct debits, informing my employers etc, etc

Edited by GOWER

Penkoprod

i have just opened a current account (flexaccount - current account is the same) last week, still waiting for my card to come in the post, i have put 100 pound in to the account, ive told them that i only want to use my card while im in thailand, they say ok. they even gave me a overdraft, ( but i will give my wife the card next week while im in thailand so when i come back home to the uk i can put money in the account on line and tell her how much so she can withdraw it ) you dont have to move your mortgage, standing orders, direct debits, informing my employers etc, etc

Cool!!!!!!

Thanks for the info

Penkoprod

As of 1st June Nationwide will be charging 1% for foreign withdrawls at atms, thats on top of the 150 baht, so not such a good account anymore. :)

At 1% still cheaper than many banks charge for withdrawals abroad, remember its Visa that are making the charge not NationWide.

If you downgrade your Visa to a Cirrus cash card there is no 1% charge Cirrus is issued by mastercard but altho free atm withdrawals you cannot make purcahses with it ....and of course kasikorn and Ayudhya are still not charging the 150B

Penkoprod

Flex is the name ofthe account (Flex account) same as current account. Ask them for a Cirrus cash card as there will be a 1% charge on withdrawals from 1st June on Visa Debit cards. There is no charge on the Cirrus cash card.

Only problem being you cannot make purchases with it. If you want a Visa debit card as well after you have opened the first account open a second, with online banking you can move money between the accounts (flex; esavings; regular savings etc)and on this account get a Visa debit card...then you get best of both worlds.

Edited by Tafia

On holiday in Samui this last week I withdrew cash from Kasikorn ATM,s with my Nationwide Debit card.

No 150 Baht fee on withdrawal receipt from Kasikorn..

Checking my NW account online, as of yet no fee for using my flex card in Thailand.

I thought their was a charge of 0.84%, going up to 1% on 1 June?.

Perhaps they will bill you monthly as they do on overdrafts.

On holiday in Samui this last week I withdrew cash from Kasikorn ATM,s with my Nationwide Debit card.

No 150 Baht fee on withdrawal receipt from Kasikorn..

Checking my NW account online, as of yet no fee for using my flex card in Thailand.

I thought their was a charge of 0.84%, going up to 1% on 1 June?.

Perhaps they will bill you monthly as they do on overdrafts.

The 0.84% charge by Visa was paid by the Nationwide with no charge to the customer. As the fee has increased NW are now passing this on from May on Credit Cards and June on Debit cards, I guess because of the current financial climate (who Knows)

Tafia thanks for that, very interesting as I now plan to withdraw some cash from my NW account at the local garage 's Kasikorn ATM. So until 1 June there should be no charges.

GBP has improved slightly, far better than 46-49 Baht from a few weeks back, still has some way to go, but I need the cash for further house improvements and cannot be bothered to mess about with Swifts etc.

1% still not bad Plus I have found the exchange rate better than I get with My Nat West Cirrus Cash card

You can move money into your Nationwide account from your main bank account online if you have Online banking

Tafia thanks for that, very interesting as I now plan to withdraw some cash from my NW account at the local garage 's Kasikorn ATM. So until 1 June there should be no charges.

GBP has improved slightly, far better than 46-49 Baht from a few weeks back, still has some way to go, but I need the cash for further house improvements and cannot be bothered to mess about with Swifts etc.

SWIFT is a pain in the ar*e with NW because you cannot do it online (tho I understand you can with an offshore account with NW Isle of Man) That said I fill in the form on line,print it off, send registerd post to Uk and my cash is here usually within 10 days. NW say they deal with the application the day they receive it. (cost £20) so I'm not complaining too much

Edited by Tafia

SWIFT is a pain in the ar*e with NW because you cannot do it online (tho I understand you can with an offshore account with NW Isle of Man) That said I fill in the form on line,print it off, send registerd post to Uk and my cash is here usually within 10 days. NW say they deal with the application the day they receive it. (cost £20) so I'm not complaining too much

Nationwide remit their SWIFT payments via HSBC.

See previous post about Halifax only charging GBP 9.50 per SWIFT payments.

Nationwide remit their SWIFT payments via HSBC.

See previous post about Halifax only charging GBP 9.50 per SWIFT payments.

Is it possible to open a Halifax account on line or would I have to do it in person?

Unless you already have an account with them I thought that you have to it in person and supply them with proof of your identification and UK address. Have a look at their web site though as it indicates that you can transfer your banking to them by printing off a couple of forms and posting it to them, you might be able to open an account in any case, I'm not to sure.

The good news is that once you have a HBOS account you can do International Transfers via their web site for £9.50.

Unless you already have an account with them I thought that you have to it in person and supply them with proof of your identification and UK address. Have a look at their web site though as it indicates that you can transfer your banking to them by printing off a couple of forms and posting it to them, you might be able to open an account in any case, I'm not to sure.

The good news is that once you have a HBOS account you can do International Transfers via their web site for £9.50.

PAGE ONE OF THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM:-

Application for a Reward Current Account Introduction 'X' indicates a field that needs to be completed.

Please note that all information is compulsory unless otherwise stated. This application has seven simple steps and should take about five minutes to complete. Please have the following information ready.

• Details of your current employer and your income.
  • Your previous address (if you've lived at your current address for less than three years).

If you are opening a joint account and you give personal details about another person this means that you are acting for them with their permission, and agree to keep them informed of the account.

If you open an account online you are also registering for our online banking service. It is important to read the Reward Current Account Terms & Conditions and Security and Privacy sections of our website.

security.jpgX I have read and understood the information provided above

I will let you know how I get on...............

security.jpgX I have read and understood the information provided above

I will let you know how I get on...............

Less than 5 minutes online and, bingo ! I am now a HBOS customer. (There will be a password etc sent in the post to my UK address and I fully expect to have supply Money Laundering Rules documents i.e. address verification and ID)

Thank you for completing your application. Your account has now been opened.

X Sort code 11-xx-xxX Account number 0050xxxxX Roll number D/4xxxxxxxx- 8

• 2 weeks later...