Gifting My Internet Account-advice

tlock

I live in a serviced apartment, and setup an internet account with CAT which I am sharing via wi-fi with another tenant in the same apartment. I'm about to leave the country for an unknown amount of time. Has anyone changed the name on an internet account with CAT to another name? This would be the easiest solution. I suppose the goal is just to save some time and money for my friend. I already paid the setup fee, and CAT wanted me to pay 6 months up front. Additionally my hotel made me pay 1500 baht to wire the phone line to my room (it's been free at every other place i've stayed). So I'd like to avoid all of this if possible but allow my friend to continue to have internet uninterrupted.

Of course one option is to just leave things as is and have him pay the bills. The thing is i don't know how long i'll be gone, and i may not come back to the same apartment when i return. I guess we don't really have "credit" here in thailand, but if something happened and he didn't pay my bills i guess he could mess things up for when I want to get a new account with CAT in the future?

any ideas?

thanks

did you sign the agreement with cat?

as if you did you NEED to pay for the agreement you sign, unless there is big penilties

the best advise i can offer is to get the other gut to pay you the rest of the contract upfront and pay cat that amount untill the contract ends.....

did you sign the agreement with cat?

as if you did you NEED to pay for the agreement you sign, unless there is big penilties

the best advise i can offer is to get the other gut to pay you the rest of the contract upfront and pay cat that amount untill the contract ends.....

the contract was pre-paid for 6 months, and after that goes on regular month-month. this is the sixth month, so that's not the problem. i want my friend to be able to continue to have internet service without having to go thru the whole process again on his own. I just want to change the name on the account if possible. Has anyone done that?

Well- I finally got around to going into CAT. I explained the situation, and she said I could add a name to my account, but i would still be liable for any problems, which is what i was hoping to escape. Then I said "well, i guess just cancel it". She gives me some forms, and shows me the contract I signed that said it would be 2000 baht to cancel before the 6 months is up or 1000 to cancel after 6 months but before a year. I still had 3000 baht credit on the prepaid 6 months, so i said take it out of that, and she said no can do. So then i said nevermind, cancel for what and pushed back the paperwork to her? I admit i was being cheeky, like why would i bother paying 2000 baht when i'm going back home. But really, my intention was to just have my friend continue paying my bills and use the internet, it's no problem within the hotel to move the line to his room, and when i eventually come back it would be ready to go.

Anyhow, i get home, and the CAT lady had already cancelled my service, there was no DSL signal. I called customer service, and they said they'd check out the line. An hour later the lady from CAT calls me and says "you said to cancel it". I said "I said nevermind, and never filled out the paperwork or signed anything." She just kept saying "you told me you wanted to cancel it". So I got a little upset, "I don't want to cancel the account, I have a valid prepaid contract, you can't just cancel my service with no signature from me". Then I put my gf on the phone and she tells my gf she's gonna blacklist me from thailand!!!

She tells me to come back in and sign a new contract for a year if I want to continue my service!!! So by now, even tho i know better, i'm dropping f-bombs and telling her she has no legal basis for cancelling my service in the first place, she is completely wrong.

An hour later she calls back and says my service is restored, but if i miss any payments I am blacklisted. I assume they couldn't really do that over a late payment, but what do i know. I should have known better than to escalate things. I am definitely getting tired of bending over tho...

Well- I finally got around to going into CAT. I explained the situation, and she said I could add a name to my account, but i would still be liable for any problems, which is what i was hoping to escape. Then I said "well, i guess just cancel it". She gives me some forms, and shows me the contract I signed that said it would be 2000 baht to cancel before the 6 months is up or 1000 to cancel after 6 months but before a year. I still had 3000 baht credit on the prepaid 6 months, so i said take it out of that, and she said no can do. So then i said nevermind, cancel for what and pushed back the paperwork to her? I admit i was being cheeky, like why would i bother paying 2000 baht when i'm going back home. But really, my intention was to just have my friend continue paying my bills and use the internet, it's no problem within the hotel to move the line to his room, and when i eventually come back it would be ready to go.

Anyhow, i get home, and the CAT lady had already cancelled my service, there was no DSL signal. I called customer service, and they said they'd check out the line. An hour later the lady from CAT calls me and says "you said to cancel it". I said "I said nevermind, and never filled out the paperwork or signed anything." She just kept saying "you told me you wanted to cancel it". So I got a little upset, "I don't want to cancel the account, I have a valid prepaid contract, you can't just cancel my service with no signature from me". Then I put my gf on the phone and she tells my gf she's gonna blacklist me from thailand!!!

She tells me to come back in and sign a new contract for a year if I want to continue my service!!! So by now, even tho i know better, i'm dropping f-bombs and telling her she has no legal basis for cancelling my service in the first place, she is completely wrong.

An hour later she calls back and says my service is restored, but if i miss any payments I am blacklisted. I assume they couldn't really do that over a late payment, but what do i know. I should have known better than to escalate things. I am definitely getting tired of bending over tho...

Don't see it that negative even if it was a bad story for you. Normally you never get a credit back - the same with TOT and TT&T. And if the lady cancelled your line immediately then somehow it was nice. Despite all the paperwork I had it took me a long time to achieve this at TOT. I had a receipt for the cancellation fee with a date and they simply said I did not cancel. Problem was that you signed the contract and so it was in your name. To change this might not be that easy - it is a cancellation of an old contract and the start of a new one with the signature of your friend. You don't trust your friend completely - why should they do ? :)