Power Outages

What is going on with all the power brown and blackouts?? :) I am used to them occasionally here but lately they seemed to have gotten much worse, more often and longer. I thought that the silver lining of the economic slump and slow down of development on the island would be that the infrastructure would have a chance to catch up here...maybe be more like Phuket. But it seems to have only gotten much worse :D ...maybe it is time to pack it in and leave Samui.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you know if you have been here like I have you know that some power outages are worse than others about 1 or 2 years ago at my business we had no power for 9 hours during the day, needless to say I lost business because I couldn't serve my customers, and sometimes if its not the power going out its the phone line going out. From my understanding all of samui's power comes from the mainland, if this is incorrect please inform me, as I dont any power plant on the island, on top of this all of samui's water comes from the mainland to.

This island has ups and downs but like everything else those in power doesn't have any idea or money or plan or dont care for upgrading infrastructure projects that are so needed on this island. oh well this is thailand for you.

in some ways ahead and in many ways still far behind.

It's part of the charm of the place.

Sorta like camping. Add a small surcharge to their bill for natural ambiance and tell them they can't get this sort of experience just anywhere. It's the natural mood and character of Amazing Thailand.

Edited by Texpat

What is going on with all the power brown and blackouts?? :) I am used to them occasionally here but lately they seemed to have gotten much worse, more often and longer. I thought that the silver lining of the economic slump and slow down of development on the island would be that the infrastructure would have a chance to catch up here...maybe be more like Phuket. But it seems to have only gotten much worse :D ...maybe it is time to pack it in and leave Samui.

yes the power was out yesterday from maneam to lamui.

people check your water pumps my last one broke due to lack of electric running through it and the motor burnt out.

From two reliable sources; the power outages are due to the marine power cable changes that are taking place, including the line that supplies Koh Phangan. Expect them for 10am to 10pm everyday for a bit(no specifics there)....they have apparently made a statement alerting villages to this. It is the same reason this took place a couple years ago, they are on rolling blackouts throughout the island and some will be worse depending on what substation you may be closest to.

From two reliable sources; the power outages are due to the marine power cable changes that are taking place, including the line that supplies Koh Phangan. Expect them for 10am to 10pm everyday for a bit(no specifics there)....they have apparently made a statement alerting villages to this. It is the same reason this took place a couple years ago, they are on rolling blackouts throughout the island and some will be worse depending on what substation you may be closest to.

thought it might be the underwater cables. how long is this expected to go on for

thought it might be the underwater cables. how long is this expected to go on for

Last time they did this, it lasted 2-3 weeks I think.

Due to the frequency of the "fade up" also in LKP during the years mostly when storm coming, and nothing change also with the improvement of the electric network, is some year that I bought generators for my restaurants.

If you have some business, is not a bad idea to get one, you can repay it quickly when you are one of the few with lights (last full moon a black out from 7 till 10 pm make our restaurants so full...) :)

are you sure? we havn't heard anything. if true, that really sucks, 12 hrs/day, that would be very unusual.

Due to the frequency of the "fade up" also in LKP during the years mostly when storm coming, and nothing change also with the improvement of the electric network, is some year that I bought generators for my restaurants.

If you have some business, is not a bad idea to get one, you can repay it quickly when you are one of the few with lights (last full moon a black out from 7 till 10 pm make our restaurants so full...) :)

how much are electric gernorators. can they power an air con

Yes, true. A small one, about 2/2.5 Kw, can push a small aircon, a fridge and some lights. For a bigger place you need a 5 or 10 Kw (better diesel). Pricesw from 15.000/20.000 to 75.000/100.000 (low-medium quality)

Yes, true. A small one, about 2/2.5 Kw, can push a small aircon, a fridge and some lights. For a bigger place you need a 5 or 10 Kw (better diesel). Pricesw from 15.000/20.000 to 75.000/100.000 (low-medium quality)

where in thailand is a good place to start looking for 1

cheers

Maybe I will start selling cheaper generators or wind/solar power stuffs from China, seems to be a good business here... Especially when you pay 8 baht per unit to your greedy landlord... I saw in the TV there is a jogging machine which able to produce electricity, thats also good idea you can stay fit and make electricity for your thai wife so she don't miss the latest very-very interesting soap drama, haha :)

Anyway these power outages most of the times happens only in bophut and chaweng ring road, other places like bangrak, chaweng beach road are ok. Im not sure about lamai and the other side of this "amazing" island but since 4 years ago the electricity is going off when the rain comes and piss me off because I take care 5 servers and all goes black after the UPS-s run out. The next thing to invest is an auto-switcher generator I think.

Looks like this phase or transformator is very sensitive and the authorities not able to cope this issue, just send some "thai boy in sandal" to turn it back on... And I don't think there is anything to blame to thailand, probably it's more like one of the "only happens in samui" thing.

If they have some brain they do the system redundant or at least have some facility to turn to backup lines until the main one is down or when they maintain it (don't worry they never do it) but electricity and infrastructure is not too important for the jungle lifestyle. It's funny they like the farang money coming in so much, just "forgot" to cycle it back to make the system working well. Somebody must be very rich now from the billions of bahts of revenues what the hotels pay in tax, sure.

The whole island is thinking about the tourist is coming only for 2 weeks, and they don't mind it, even more romantic to stay with candle and mosquitoes.... Chaweng beach road, fishermans village always have electricity, so most of tourist really don't have a clue about this problems. Who live here must used to do this, or buy generators or move somewhere else, we are really not important for them I think...

The worst thing when you dont have power, and don't have water as well and have to take shower in the swimming pool :D

PS: still no government water because of the dry season, so welcome to koh samui, the best of the best, get your seat earlier, get your seat earlier.........

where in thailand is a good place to start looking for 1 cheers

a lot of power with this one..... :)

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/miscellane...apan-15289.html

Chayaphum

Yes power, water and canle tv, cutting out more than ever and without warning, feel sorry for the bars and other businesess that suffer. Electric seems to have got worse not better. Maybe the continuous opening of large resorts etc are just draining the Islands supply.

Edited by pammy123

where in thailand is a good place to start looking for 1 cheers

a lot of power with this one..... :)

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/miscellane...apan-15289.html

Chayaphum

67 000 baht that is more than 1 year electric bill from the govment. think i'll give that 1 a miss.

thanks anyway

Anyone know where I can buy a big backup generator. I need enough electric to run

15 air conditioners

3 computers

60 light bulbs

2 Steam & Jacuzzi Rooms

20 showers

all at the same time

All prices, companies, locations would be helpful

All these posts put a smile on my face. On Koh Tao there were very long outages for roughly 6 weeks, leaving only a greedy private electric company to use (and they charge 30 baht per kWh).

Government electric has always been a headache here, partly due to monkeys working at the government station, partly due to the private electric company bribing the monkeys to stop all generators. Which happens around the 20th every single month.

Anyone know where I can buy a big backup generator. I need enough electric to run

15 air conditioners

3 computers

60 light bulbs

2 Steam & Jacuzzi Rooms

20 showers

all at the same time

All prices, companies, locations would be helpful

Electric shower heaters are a massive headache, as they each take at least 2kW (there are models rated up to 6kW...).

Have a look at HomePro, they sell a gas heater (price between 6k - 7k) which is very efficient. We use one of those;

-the water is really hot

-25kg gas bottle lasts for 9 months (2 person household).

Bigger models are available as well, to supply hot water to more showers. But this requires a 2nd water pipe to each room. PVC pipes might work, copper (15mm diameter) are way better and more reliable in the long run.

Shower heaters have been the biggest headache on Koh Tao when it comes to electric. During the busiest time of the year, december - februari, the power is shit between 5pm and 8pm, when all tourists finish their daily open water diving and go back to their resort to have a hot shower. The voltage drops under 180V and the showers only warm up the water another 10 degrees, while still wasting lots of energy.