Where Is The Best Cinema In Bkk?

anna234cn

I usually pay the extra 20 baht or so when the cinema has the back few rows of seats with more leg room. Other than that, same same. Paid for the VIP a few times but generally not worth it IMO. My only gripe is the lack of good movies as all the cinemas, with the exception of House RCA, have the same flicks.

I agree. No disrespect, but you have to be out of your mind to pay 600 bht to see a movie here. House is great for non-mainstream films.

SF Cinema World at Centralworld is good - but probably the same high standards as Paragon and Emporium. Esplanade on Ratchadaphisek (run by Major) is also good but you may find yourself waiting in line for a while.

For standard seating, ticket prices aren't significantly different - the most I've paid is 160 baht (which would be 140 plus the digital screen surcharge). Tried the higher-priced seats once - not worth it.

Edited by onethailand

i love the VIP theaters, there are only about 12 recliners in the room, you get a blanket and pillow and slippers, and your own private serving boy to bring you beer. :o

Edited by girlx

i love the VIP theaters, there are only about 12 recliners in the room, you get a blanket and pillow and slippers, and your own private serving boy to bring you beer. :o

let's go! ask yasx too

nice to do something normal sometimes .. not only pissup all the time LOL

One of the reasons I like the Emporium is because the clientele is less likely to have conversations on cell phones and chit-chats in the middle of the movie. Not saying it never happens but don't experience it often when I go mid-afternoon. Once, when someone started a cell phone conversation, a po'd Thai told them to leave the theater if they wanted to talk. They did.

I like the Nokia-screen theatres @Siam Paragorn. I know that some people think they're overpriced, but I don't mind that so much, and I like what I get out of it.

Monday-Thursday they're 500 baht. Friday - Sunday they're 600 baht. Price includes use of the lounge before the movie (massage chairs, free tea, coffee, cookies, cake, etc...). Seating is spacious, comfortable, and there aren't many people in the theatre. They're rarely sold out, so you can go on the first night of a prime movie just a few minutes before the movie, and get a seat. No waiting in line to buy the ticket -- just go into the lounge, approach the bar, and ask to buy a ticket there. And yes, the lounge has a full bar. You can order for the lounge, or have food & drink delivered to your seat. Theatres 1-3. Blanket & pillow provided too.

I tried their Enigma theatre once too. Instead of seats, you get a bed for 2, with plenty of pillows & 2 blankets. 1 free drink (whiskey, beer included, wine not included), 1 free appetizer (don't remember the options, but I had chicken satay), a more private lounge, and far fewer people in the theatre.

I'm happy with the mid-tier Nokia-screen seats. Honestly, much of it is about not needing to wait in line, and the lounge with free tea & cake. The nearly-flat seat recline is nice too.

Their website is: http://www.paragoncineplex.com/nowshow/nowshow.php

Paragorn's theatre 4 is HUGE. You can get isolated dual seats along the stairway so that you only sit next to your "date."

The IMAX is worth it for the "right" movies -- think Batman or something along those lines. Get the back row (a few extra baht) -- nicer view, a little more space, and blankets.

AJC...thanks for that great post on the Siam Paragon theaters.... I'd never been to the theaters in Paragon before, figuring correctly it seems, that they were likely to be relatively overpriced compared to everything else in town -- pretty much the same as most of the rest of Paragon.

But, I must say, I looked at the photos of the Nokia Ultra Screens on the theaters' web site (thanks for including the link). And they look pretty darned plush, unlike any movie theater I've ever been in in Thailand or the USA.... For the right movie, and with the right lady, I actually could almost see myself shelling out 1,000-1,200 baht for a pair of movie tickets.... well....maybe just ONE time....just for the experience.

It's a shame the theaters' web site is 100% in Thai... (Yes, I know TIT.....) For those ticket prices, you'd think they could afford to build some ESL (English as a Second Language) content into the site. Frankly though, even looking through all the different Thai-only web pages, I couldn't find anything that actually listed their ticket prices for the different levels of theaters on offer there.

Currently, for first-run major releases, I rank SFWorld at Central World no. 1 and Paragon Cineplex no. 2.

SFWorld has ~ 16 screens, and is one of the newest theatres in town. They typically have the greatest number of digital displays, which I prefer. And they'll usually be one of just a few houses to show foreign films with both Thai and English subtitles. Standard pricing in 120 - 140 THB, digital shows are 160 THB; I'm not familiar with the luxury seating options/pricing. The Bangkok International Film Festival is showing there 23 - 30 Sep.

The best individual screen (theatre) remains the Pavalai Theatre (#4) at the Paragon Cineplex.

But, I must say, I looked at the photos of the Nokia Ultra Screens on the theaters' web site (thanks for including the link). And they look pretty darned plush, unlike any movie theater I've ever been in in Thailand or the USA.... For the right movie, and with the right lady, I actually could almost see myself shelling out 1,000-1,200 baht for a pair of movie tickets.... well....maybe just ONE time....just for the experience.
I couldn't find anything that actually listed their ticket prices for the different levels of theaters on offer there.

They're not all expensive.

Paragorn has 5 "types" of theaters.

The Nokia screens, theaters 1-3. Premium seats. Service as described in my prior post. 500/600 baht.

The Enigma theater. Beds, not seats. 1000/1200 baht.

The huge screen, theater 4. Normal seats, normal movie prices (I think 120-baht-ish, but don't remember for sure), but huge threatre, with some seats along the stairwell isolated from the bulk of seats (so 2 people can sit alone).

Theaters 5-12, just normal movie theaters, though for a few extra baht, you can get slightly bigger seats in the back row, and the back-row seats are "paired."

The Imax theater. Only went there once, but I think that was 200 or 300 baht. Again, paired seats in the back, slightly bigger than the rest of the theater, and for an Imax, the view is better.

I checked out the Enigma theater just once, "for the experience." It was cool, and I'd suggest checking it out, just once, for the experience.

But typically I just hit theaters 1-3 at Paragorn...

Theatre 4 at Paragon is awesome... I prefer aisle seats so being able to get a seat in a middle aisle is something special.

Imax gives me vertigo... LOL...

Re: the web sites - I fully agree that they should do English - but I suspect the problem is that they don't have anyone who can keep updating the sites (as I recall Major's was once in English as well). I sometimes do bookings through the website but these are often so problematic I've practically given up.

Paragon! Cinema 4 which is called Pavalai. Seats on the side aisles in the middle are only 2 together and slightly bigger and only 40 baht more I beleive. My favorite cinema. I do also like Scala and Lido as I know I can always get a seat at the last minute as it is never that crowded and only 100 baht.

• 7 months later...
Thus far, the most comfortable, best experience, best value I've had -- for a regular movie seat/ticket -- has been at the SFX Cinema at the Emporium on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 24.

As of Sept. 2008, their standard ticket prices are 140b for a regular seat, but 120b Monday to Wednesday before 8:30 pm, and 80 baht Monday to Wednesday after 8:30 pm. The latter two early week ticket options strike me as a very good deal.

Bummer... just saw a movie this week at the SFX Cinema at The Emporium, and they seem to have abolished their prior 80 baht per ticket special offered Mon to Weds. evenings. Now just the regular 120 baht tickets Monday to Wednesday and regular 140 baht tickets Thursday to Sunday and holidays.

They're also offering higher priced digital "D2K" tickets and screenings now. But I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know what "D2K" is, didn't feel inclined to try asking the Thai staff there, and wasn't too interested in paying 250 baht per ticket to find out.

post-53787-1239877354_thumb.jpg

They should change the name to 'Cold Class' :D

Yes, what is it with the cold?

The main cinemas at MBK are cold, but I went to the VIP once (and once only) and it was soooooo cold, it set off my shoulder pain that hadn't grumbled since I left a snow-bound UK at -2 Celcius. It was literally painfully cold.

They actually give you blankets! <deleted>! Rack the air-con up to the point where hypothermia is a significant risk and then hand out blankets - where's the logic? :o

Edited by phaethon

Normally an EGV Goldclass ticket is around 600/700 bahts (not sure).

But EGV Seacon (don't know about other EGVs) has a promotion (they've had it for few months already) at 200 bahts (with this promotion they don't give you a blanket though).

What I like in Goldclass is that seats are really confortable (more than my sofa), and you have a table to eat/drink.

If they charge 500 baht extra for a blanket, I think you could buy your own!

Don't go to the cinema at Central Praram 3 - far too cold!

• 3 weeks later...

*bump*

Is there anyway to find out what film is screening in Pargon's screen 4 without being at the centre? I think their website is down at the moment.

:)

While i'm at it, Let the Right One in is opening in House next week.

All should see it. The best film I saw all last year.

*bump*

Is there anyway to find out what film is screening in Pargon's screen 4 without being at the centre? I think their website is down at the moment.

Movieseer.com is pretty handy for all cinemas, including Paragon, although not updated far enough in advance for my liking

*bump*

Movieseer.com is pretty handy for all cinemas, including Paragon, although not updated far enough in advance for my liking

Yeah, i use Movieseer but I want to try catch Start Trek in Paragons Sreen 4 if possible.

*bump*

The Paragon Cineplex website lists films by theatre number, so it's easy to see what's playing in the Pavalai theatre (#4). I imagine you could telephone the theatre as well? Typically it is a current blockbuster. This would be the theatre to see a film like Star Trek, but unfortunately not a digitial display.

*bump*

The Paragon Cineplex website lists films by theatre number, so it's easy to see what's playing in the Pavalai theatre (#4). I imagine you could telephone the theatre as well? Typically it is a current blockbuster. This would be the theatre to see a film like Star Trek, but unfortunately not a digitial display.

It's not a digital display? Just a very large theatre?

Hmmmmmmm. Might just go to Esplanade instead then.