Where Is The Best Cinema In Bkk?

anna234cn

My very favorite is the Gold EGV theaters.....like the ones located on the top floor of Siam Discovery Center and also in the Big C Mall on Rajadamri Road across the street from Central World Plaza (formerly the World Trade Center)

The Gold EGV theaters are super plush :o The seats are giant lazy boy type chairs (with pilows, blankets, and socks provided).....

Emporium on Sukhimvit! Easy to get to because of BTS. Fun shopping before hand as good bookshops and CD Warehouse. MBK, EGV Siam and World Trade tend to have children and adults talking and messing about (during the movie). Emporium has a great food court and supermarket so you can bring lots of goodies to eat while enjoying the movie.

I've been so spoiled by the Gold, Platinum, and Emperor Class theaters, I won't even go see a movie anymore unless it's playing at one.  More comfortable than my living room!

what's all this then???

i only went to the flicks in pattaya and it was like sitting in my fridge watching a movie :o

we were tempted to see the bridget jones movie in bkk(maybe the emporium??-opp designer mall i.e lacoste boss porsche etc??)

where can i try out these gold and platinum movie experiences?? :D

Edited by bkkbound04

where can i try out these gold and platinum movie experiences??  :o

Platinum is at EGV Metropolis (the Big C complex on Rajadamri Road) across from the Central World Plaza (Isetan Dept store) in the middle of Bangkok.

Gold, my favorite located at the top floor of the Siam Discovery Center across the street from Siam Square..

EGV Gold class defo the best, you get your own reclining chair, table, blanket and cushion, like being in bed and watching a movie! Not to mention the seat side ordering service! Pure Luxery! :o

Seacon Square

No worry about the cold at Gold Class...you get your own blanket!

And don't forget the free drinks and snacks in the VIP lounge before the movie starts.

(Needless to say, these premium cinemas cost much more than the normal ones: 500 or 600 baht per person, but oh so worth it IMHO).

EGV Gold class defo the best, you get your own reclining chair, table, blanket and cushion, like being in bed and watching a movie! Not to mention the seat side ordering service! Pure Luxery! :o

Seacon Square

Sounds the same as Major Cineplex in Central BangNa.

But this weekend I'm going to EGV in Seacon Square. wanna watch The Phantom of The Opera.

Yes, Gold Class is my favorite too....but the cinemas are COLD :o

I used to get more than one blanket when there are empty seats, but now they only issue blankets to those sold seats....oh well its still my very favorite in Bangkok :D

My friend always preferred Major Ekkamai - it is not as crowded as MBK and more spacious. also beside BTS station, just a couple of stops after Emporium

I'm not claiming thought that it's best.

Edited by aaaaaa

My Major beef with the Majors is their proximity to bowling alleys.

All that rumbling gets me to grumbling.

OTOH, their rendition of the King's song never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

But my recent experience with the film festival nailed it for me -

Emporium.

And a jacket.

Oh yeah, House is pretty spiffy, too.

Just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get to.

• 2 months later...

Normally an EGV Goldclass ticket is around 600/700 bahts (not sure).

But EGV Seacon (don't know about other EGVs) has a promotion (they've had it for few months already) at 200 bahts (with this promotion they don't give you a blanket though).

What I like in Goldclass is that seats are really confortable (more than my sofa), and you have a table to eat/drink.

• 3 years later...

Want to revive this thread a bit... Been here long enough now to have tried a variety of cinemas.... some with the regular ticket... some with the upgraded seats...

Thus far, the most comfortable, best experience, best value I've had -- for a regular movie seat/ticket -- has been at the SFV Cinema at the Emporium on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 24. It's a shame, though, they only have 5 or so screens there.

Easy to get to via Phrom Phong BTS. Tons of shops and eateries in the Emporium shopping center. A bit difficult to get to, and not particularly well-signed inside, because it's hidden on the very upper floor. But the seating was the best and most comfortable I've found in BKK, and I'm a tall guy who likes good leg room. And, the overall theatre and lobby was in first-class condition.

As of Sept. 2008, their standard ticket prices are 140b for a regular seat, but 120b Monday to Wednesday before 8:30 pm, and 80 baht Monday to Wednesday after 8:30 pm. The latter two early week ticket options strike me as a very good deal. Just saw Bangkok Dangerous there with the TGF...

In the past, tried the upgraded seats at MBK that included a complimentary drink, but not as comfortable. Tried the regular and upgraded seats at Central Rama II, nothing special. Tried the regular seats at the Major Cineplex Ekkamai theaters, nothing special.

Don't believe I've tried the Gold at Siam Discovery or Platinum at the Big C complex on Rajadamri... But I don't need or want a blanket when I go to see a movie, and I'd be hard-pressed to know what would make them worth 500 to 600 baht per ticket???

Can anyone offer a better value movie experience than the Emporium???

No worry about the cold at Gold Class...you get your own blanket!

And don't forget the free drinks and snacks in the VIP lounge before the movie starts.

(Needless to say, these premium cinemas cost much more than the normal ones: 500 or 600 baht per person, but oh so worth it IMHO).

They should change the name to 'Cold Class' :o

One theater thing I forgot to mention above.....that's really annoying...

Most of the Thai cinemas have reclining seats...and also have chair arms that can be pulled up and out of the way if you're sitting together as a couple. But, when you recline both seats, the chair arm typically only recesses back part way, leaving it still jutting out between the two seats.

To their credit and my comfort, the theaters at the Emporium didn't have that problem. We reclined our two seats back all the way, and the seat arm went back even with the seat backs, so it was just the same as if we were sitting on a sofa -- without any hard plastic seat arm sticking out between the two.

Anyone who has not been to the Scala in Siam Square at least once is missing a Bangkok landmark. What it doesn't have in terms of luxury it makes up for in pure character. It is an enormous old style movie theatre like you would have seen in the West in the 50s. It even has one of those giant old cinemax movie screens. Regardless of what film you see, half your evening's enjoyment will be admiring the theatre itself.

Scala Siam Square

00.jpg

A view of the stairs leading to the enormous foyer of the Scala

thumb-ScalaEntrance.jpg

Edited by Groongthep

I usually pay the extra 20 baht or so when the cinema has the back few rows of seats with more leg room. Other than that, same same. Paid for the VIP a few times but generally not worth it IMO. My only gripe is the lack of good movies as all the cinemas, with the exception of House RCA, have the same flicks.